PDA

View Full Version : never mind, figured it out :)

illinoismommy
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
:heart

We need a section of our fence replaced with another fence and we'd prefer to pay to have it done correctly than muddle through the hole digging ourselves. Has anyone had this done? Who did you use and did you have a good experience?

So far, I did google and find that there are a number of unhappy people who used Lowe's.... so I think we won't use Lowe's.....

tigerlily
02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Our yard was fenced, but for just a couple small sections. We we were only having chain link put up (to match the rest), but we hired a professional. My dh called around to local fencing companies and got a few quotes. We went with the cheapest. They did a great job. You could ask them to bring a list of references if you wanted and check with the BBB, too for extra assurance.

I wouldn't go with Lowe's either. :no They're not necessarily going to be experts in fencing -- probably just glorified handymen.

poleidopy
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I've heard bad things about Lowes too. We just bought all the materials from there (they price-match and we got a discount) and did the fence ourselves. it really wasn't hard, just time consuming and labor intensive.

mom2threegirls
02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
My sister used Lowe's and was very happy with them :shrug. It was easy for her and she got a great deal. It would really depend on the workers though. And you might save more money going with a smaller local company- and you can always have them come out and give you quotes and get a feel for them that way too. Sounds like a good plan paying someone to do it- digging fence holes is hard work and time consuming! I'm sure it depends on your soil though too- we have so many rocks in the ground here it's nearly impossible to do it by hand.

Mama Calidad
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
We're putting in a fence this weekend, but DH is doing it. Poor guy has to do everything. :lol

Serafine
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
We found a local, private (meaning, non-chain) company to do ours. although, all they did was sink the posts...DH and his friend put everything else together.

illinoismommy
02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
We're putting in a fence this weekend, but DH is doing it. Poor guy has to do everything. :lol

We've had to do EVERYTHING inside of the house.... and we're not finished and we're burnt out.... that's one reason we're wondering about someone else doing it.

Plus we're intimidated about having to make the posts level and digging all those deep holes...

cobluegirl
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
We did ours ourselves...

Serafine
02-19-2009, 03:06 PM
janet - if you are our in farm country (I thought you may have mentioned that before)...I am telling you, you should be able to find someone to do it for you for a good price that is not Lowe's.

Try calling around to some contractors/builders and see if they can recommend someone.

illinoismommy
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
janet - if you are our in farm country (I thought you may have mentioned that before)...I am telling you, you should be able to find someone to do it for you for a good price that is not Lowe's.

Try calling around to some contractors/builders and see if they can recommend someone.

We're all over this. Dh has an Amish guy coming out tomorrow or Mondayto give price estimate. Thank you taxes. :O

I'm sure fencing people like other home improvement businesses are hurting too :yes2