PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made their own sourdough bread from scratch?

mom2jolakeil
02-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I mean literally from scratch as in started the starter? It sounds fairly easy, but I'm wondering if it really is :think I'm fairly good at making bread, meaning I can make it completely from scratch (when I have time, I usually "cheat" and make the dough in the bread maker :shifty). Anyone? I came up allergic to yeast in my allergy tests, so I'm trying to cut it out but I REALLY like bread :yum :giggle

Blue-EyedLady
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I've made my own sourdough starter before. It's not hard. I've always used commercial yeasrs, though. Catching wild yeast is too scary for me - who knows what non-benevolent micro organisms live in my not-so-perfectly-clean house? If you're allergic to yeast, though, sourdough bread is not the answer. :shrug

canadiyank
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I have. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I did catch a wild strain. I remember I just basically let it sit out and get sour. I think it had flour, sugar, and water in it? :think Once it got sour I used some and put the rest in the fridge and kept adding to it.

Rabbit
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Sourdough is a very very yeasty bread. And it cultures even more yeast in your kitchen.

Can'tTurnLeft
02-24-2009, 04:36 AM
I do :) I've got a sourdough starter on my counter right now. Easy easy easy

1/2 cup raw honey
1 c. flour (fresh ground whole white wheat)
1 c. raw milk

Mix in stoneware or glass with a wooden spoon for five days (stir once a day)

on day 5 add the starter trio again

let set for 5 more days and add the starter trio again.

Store in your fridge and "feed" every week with the starter trio. It gets better with time :) Don't use any metal on it. I've never had a problem catching wild yeast, but I also bake a LOT of yeast bread and this puts it into the culture

BlessedBlue
02-24-2009, 05:02 AM
I don't think sourdough bread is the answer to your yeast allergy.

You can, however, make non-yeast breads. :) Quick breads (banana, zucchini, etc.), soda bread (I make a gluten-free, dairy-free version for the kids all the time, they love it!), pancakes, waffles, tortillas, muffins...

mom2jolakeil
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
The allergy test says, "baker's yeast", what's the difference between baker's yeast and natural yeast? :think

Rabbit
02-25-2009, 11:36 AM
None, when it comes to an allergy.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It's baker's yeast. And brewer's yeast. It's a naturally occurring fungi. You would be cultivating it from wild stock, along with other fungi, for sour dough.

mom2jolakeil
02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
None, when it comes to an allergy.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It's baker's yeast. And brewer's yeast. It's a naturally occurring fungi. You would be cultivating it from wild stock, along with other fungi, for sour dough.

:sigh I like sourdough (and all other yeasty breads - probably crave them because I'm allergic :shifty)

CakeLady
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
I did once. I assume you mean be allowing the dough to capture the yeast spores from the air and all. It was just okay and took a long time....I prefer using the starter I bought from a local business.