PDA

View Full Version : Can I wash his Converse?

mollobe
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Can I wash DS's Converse shoes in the washing machine? I want him to wear them to his auntie's wedding this weekend, but they're looking pretty dingy...

If I can, how? Should I take the laces out and wash them in a garment bag? Do I wash them with a normal load of clothes or on their own? Is there any way you know of that can spruce up the white rubber part? That's where the shoes are especially scuffed and dingy.

Thanks!

Iarwain
02-16-2009, 09:52 PM
I have always washed my Converse Chuck Taylors in the washer. You don't want to put them in with any delicates and if they're especially soiled pre-treating is a good idea. I've never put them in a bag. The white part can be easily spruced up with cleanser (watch out for cleansers with bleach! that isn't so great for the fabric if it's colored!) or Oxyclean and an old toothbrush. I have even used toothpaste on them in a pinch. A pencil eraser works too.

MarynMunchkins
02-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes, you can. Just take the laces out and wash. Soaking the laces in OxiClean will help if they're dingy.

Oh, and using toothpaste will clean the white part.

(I used to work at a low income school where shoes were very much a status symbol. I learned a lot about how to keep shoes looking new. :giggle)

crunchymum
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
:heart can't wait to see you!

mollobe
02-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks!
Oops, I've left it to the last minute now...they're in the wash as I type.  Can I put them in the dryer?  They're black - will they fade?  I'm afraid if I let them air dry they won't be dry by the time he needs to wear them.... :nails  Depending on how the white rubber looks after they're out of the wash, I plan to try a toothbrush and toothpaste if they need it.

I've never put them in a bag.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant put the laces in a bag, so that they don't get lost or wrapped up in the middle thingy. It worked great to have the laces in a bag, although they didn't get as clean as I'd hoped, so I think I'll try soaking them in Oxiclean as someone suggested and then I'll wash them in my next white load. :yes

ShangriLewis
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I put them upside down and unlaced on top of the dyer while I'm drying a few other loads.

We all wear converse and they wash up fine.

malakoa
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
i toss mine in with the jeans... if i wanted them to look really fresh, though, i would use new shoe laces.