PDA

View Full Version : "Disinfecting" your home after illness?

Happygrl
02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
After illness in your home, how do you "disinfect" it? I just had a 24-hour stomach bug, DD is on the tail end of it (I hope), I think DS may be starting it and one of our two houseguests is in the middle of it. Blech. I feel a serious need to get the icks out of here. I'll wash the sheets, of course. But I'm not sure where to go beyond that. DD laid on the couch most of the day. The cushion covers can be washed. My comforter is dry-clean only. DD's comforter can go in the wash, so I'll wash and put it out on the line tomorrow. Windows are open. But what about things like the computer keyboard and phone? The toilets? The cushion inserts for the couch? The ick feeling in the air? (I have been spraying a water/vinegar/EO mixture all day.)

There was a time in my life where I would have sprayed everything possible with a can of Lysol. :bag Work or not, it made me feel like it worked. :giggle

klpmommy
02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
When my ILs were up here they were sick & I wanted to avoid their germs so I made sure to clean all door handles & lightswitches as well as faucets, etc. I shunned my natural cleaners :blush for clorox wipes for the quick & easy. I also washed as much bedding & towels on hot as I could manage. We didn't catch whatever they had.

However, we just got done with our *own* illness & I didn't do anything about it b/c we have already "survived" the germs. :shrug If I wasn't on "light duty" as per ob orders I would have at least cleaned door handles & lightswitches again.

PurpleButterfly
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
:yes I use Clorox clean up wipes on everything - remote controls, door handles, appliance handles, faucets, lightswitches, toilet handles... I also use the "sanitize" setting on my dishwasher, and add a wee bit of bleach to my hot laundry. If possible, I open doors and windows to let fresh air circulate in. For children's toys and items, I use a spritz bottle with lavendar/TTO blended w/water. If toys are washable, I wash them in dish soap and the hottest water I can stand.

Also, don't forget to replace your toothbrushes! :hug2 Hope everyone is feeling up to par asap! :heart

sprout
02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
here, we do the 50/50 vinegar/water solution and wash sheets and stuff.

dip toothbrushes in Listerine.

up the herbs for the rest of the family.

and, if I do have those Clorox wipy things around, I will put them into use.

mummy2boys
02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I do the vinegar and lemon juice clean but I never thought of this

Also, don't forget to replace your toothbrushes!

Thanks for the tip!!

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
vinegar and peroxide has been shown to be more powerful then pure bleach.

Raspberries
02-13-2009, 10:14 PM
After everyone in my house has had it, I don't worry about it. We won't get it a second time around.

ETA: In other words, I don't anything particularly special. Just my normal cleaning.