PDA

View Full Version : How to make celery juice taste better?

Mama Rophe
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Anyone know? I'd like to start drinking celery juice and carrot juice. ( I have a juicer) How in the world do I make it taste better? The celery juice is so bitter.

bostonsmama
02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Oranges! We make orange juice in our vitamix and we can throw just about anything in there w/out tasting it. Well, to an extent, of course ;) Have you tried that yet?

Mama Rophe
02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I did, but maybe not enough. I'll try that tomorow. I'm still open to suggestions. I'll try just about anything at this point.

La Loba
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I throw in a good scoop of melted organic chocolate :shifty

Mama Rophe
02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I throw in a good scoop of melted organic chocolate :shifty

I'd so love to do that, but I'm drinking it for my blood pressure and well, chocolate has caffene which isn't good for blood pressure.

allisonintx
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Celery is the richest vegetable source of the mineral Sodium with over 120 mg. Per 100 grams. It might take something as sweet as Carrot along with whatever else you wanted in it, to overcome the salty taste.
http://www.templewiltoncommunityfarm.com/grow_celery.htm

PurpleButterfly
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
My family drinks celery and carrot juice almost every day and has no idea, it is hidden in frozen fruit smoothies I make in our Vita-Mix. :yum I would estimate I use 1 cup OJ, 2.5 cups frozen Spectrum fruit blend (from Costco), handful of baby carrots or 1 med carrot, and 1 large stalk celery per batch (split into 3 portions for dh and kids). If the celery is particularly bitter, I add a squirt of honey. :)

jenny_islander
02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Celery juice was recognized as a tonic around the turn of the 20th century. People drank it all the time . . . as celery soda. :shifty I've had the real deal, made from fresh celery (and lots of sugar) right on the premises. It's pretty good!

bostonsmama
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
It has never even occurred to me to throw celery into a smoothie :think I might just have to try it! So I should definitely keep the carrots with it as well, right? (not trying to hijack the thread, really :no) I'm gonna have to do some googling...

Can you have frozen OJ concentrate? I bet that would knock out the flavor... We mix everything into fresh oranges and can't taste it. How about bananas? They have a fairly dominate flavor as well...maybe carrots and bananas? I think I'd have to have either the OJ or oranges myself :shifty

Soliloquy
02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I *love* straight celery juice, but if it's too strong try adding cucumber. It's so light. A little apple would go a long way, too.

I think I love celery juice so much because we usually drink straight kale juice--that can be tough to get down.