PDA

View Full Version : Stinky work pants (dh's) -- ideas needed for freshening them up

tempus vernum
02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Dh is a carpenter and his work pants STINK - not like B.O. :giggle but like chemical or exhaust or something they absorb from the job site - he does concrete forms. I can't describe what it is but I need help getting out the smell

I have tried
*white vinegar
*apple cider vinegar on a washcloth with e.o.'s in the dryer (tea tree and lavendar)
*oxyclean
*dryer sheets (that is the most recent, we are getting desperate)

I haven't bothered with baking soda because I've found that oxyclean works better than baking soda for smells but. . . maybe it's worth a try?

Dh wants to consider tide but he has sensitive skin and I am worried about it :(

So, I'd love some ideas for great odor removers for construction smells!

:ty3

righteous mama
02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, dh used to come home with stinky kid smell. His school didn't have AC, so all the kids would stink to high heaven and between them and him...oh boy. It's not BO, it's just sweaty, dirty smell and it permeates.

Mostly I found that our usual routine was enough (you know what I use). But, occasionally it still smelled even after washing/drying. I used a laundry booster (washing soda or our Nature Bright) and it really did help the smell. I may soak it for a half and hour or so to help it really dig in there.

I can ask my dad more. He's an eco-friendly guy who is tough on clean (militant mom, then Army cleaning duty). He's actually in charge of the cleaning at my parents house 'cause he's so good. He also worked heavy earth construction for over 30 years...so, he should know.

tempus vernum
02-10-2009, 09:47 PM
:think

After reading you post, I think part of the problem is that we no longer have a top loader - so I can't soak a full load - I'd have to soak them in a pail and dump out the water prior to washing :think

Quiteria
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
:popcorn

for dh's construction clothes in our HE washer, I light up the options like a Christmas tree...auto soak, prewash, stain treat, heavy duty cycle, heavy soil, fastest spin, hot water, extra rinse...and then I run them twice when they get really bad...sometimes I think to stop them to soak longer, but not usually (mine can be paused to add more clothes, so I pretend)...but they aren't all that fresh afterward, just better than usual.

One of dh's friends, on a really filthy job, had his wife wash a teeny load after work every day...same shirt and pants over and over...threw out at the end of the job...3mo or so? I thought it was nuts, but...well...one $5 shirt and $20 jeans for 3mo...$75 for the year at that rate (edit...lol, ok that should say $100, but with layoff times it's probably $75)...things come cleaner the sooner you wash them...if you have a really efficient washer, maybe it isn't as wasteful as it sounds at first. :shrug I haven't done it....but it was definitely a different solution...

Katigre
02-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I would get a big plastic bucket and soak them overnight in vinegar before washing.

Quiteria
02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
:think

After reading you post, I think part of the problem is that we no longer have a top loader - so I can't soak a full load - I'd have to soak them in a pail and dump out the water prior to washing :think

Hmmm...does your washer have a "Spin Only" cycle...if so, you can dump them into the machine and spin out the water.

boonpnutsmom
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Have you tried vinegar in with his pants, that usually works with G's and there are times his are pretty bad, and that works!