PDA

View Full Version : i need help setting up childrens room and picking furniture

me
02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
:nak2 im just not good at this  :whisper "please please help me"  :)
we moved up here and stayed in corporate housing for a while. now that we are in our own place we need to get the kids' rooms set up. im imbarrased to admit, due to my pregnancy and just not having the extra money, all they have is their toys in toy buckets and their clothes in clothes buckets. and for beds they have air matresses and/or sleeping bags in their bedrooms. They have 0 furniture!
From our taxes dh has given me about $400 each to spend on their beds and dressers.
I think ill put the two girls in one room and ds in his own room.

Because of their chemical sensitivities and Ive just started illiminating their allergies I dont want to do box springs or used. lest they have a flare up and it end up being the bed i just spent money on that i wont be able to replace.

Ive been trying to come up with some ideas but have gotten pretty much no where. im overwhelmed i think with all thats out there.
I do have an idea in my head.

For the girls (3 and 7yrs) some kind of bali, zen, princess feel. Lots of pillows, shimmery, rich colors. either two twins or maybe a full.
With long drapey curtains that will replace a headboard if the beds go under the windows.
not sure about dressers or shelving but i do want one for each girl for their own things. they dont really need clothes drawers their clothing is in the closet.

For ds (5yrs) im having a hard time visualising. he loves secret agent, pirates, castle, weapons, transformers, legos, typical boy stuff. I would like some kind of medieval armor of God theme but have no clue how to translate that as decorating his room.

I also thought maybe just getting three futons where the platform is low to the ground and they can be either a seat or layed flat for their bed. I had one with my first apartment and really like it.

Ill go try and bookmark some sites with pictures and see what you ladies think of them. I would really really really appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions. I might even be able to talk dh into letting me post pictures when i have their rooms done

:sillygrin

Blue Aurora
02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
The place I got inspiration from for my boys new room was companykids. The have tons of kids rooms and even if you don't use their stuff it helped me find what I liked.

me
02-09-2009, 11:54 PM
they do have some unique shelves that i hadnt seen elsewhere :yes
i like this shelf for the girls.
http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Kids+Furniture+Bookcases/5707/XP01X/

and this for ds
http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Kids+Furniture+Bookcases/5707/XK08X/

:think

ty :)

Ive been looking all night at mattresses and bed frames and am no closer than i was 3 days ago :shrug :scratch
maybe a simple inexpensive frame like this, not that crazy about it but its the only simple low to the ground frame for that price. anything else is around $150
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70122215

heartsong
02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Do you have an Ikea near you? They have some unique lovely children's things.

me
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
The site shows there is one. Not to close with traffic but doable. There isnt much on line for children, is it different in the actual stores?

mountainash
02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, the stores are lots of fun. Their website can be confusing. Try looking through their catalog online. I think the kid stuff is towards the back.

http://info.ikea-usa.com/Catalog/

me
02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
oh man :doh my laptop is to old to support opening the catalog....bummer
eta: oh wait! ill go look on my blackberry (the home phone :giggle)

knitlove
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
the kids stuff starts on page 208 and goes thought 224 in the catalog. I do think that they have moor stuff in the actual stores.

RiverRock
02-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Ikea has a lot of stuff along the knight/medieval and princess themes. It is definately a place for one stop shopping on a budget. The store has a lot more accessories than the catalogue shows, but most of the furniture is in the catalogue. Sometimes they add new stuff, but that usually comes closer to summer when they start preparing for the new catalogue which is released at the end of summer. (Eeek...I think I am an Ikea-nerd!)

illinoismommy
02-11-2009, 09:09 AM
IKEA!

me
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
we went to ikea yesterday. i love that place! its gonna be so doable. there was so much cute stuff that i hadnt seen on line. :heart

mountainash
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
(Eeek...I think I am an Ikea-nerd!)

:rockon Ain't no shame in it.