PDA

View Full Version : If you have a half-bath...

KatieMae
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
so there's no tub or shower, just a toilet & sink, do you have rugs in that room?

I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the ones I have in ours. They cover most of the floor so 1. it's hard to sweep the bare floors around them, and 2. I have another task to do b/c I have to wash them fairly often (weekly, ideally, as our half-bath gets a lot of action during the day!)

What do you think? Tell me what to do! :giggle

DoulaClara
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't, but I can't stand rugs and carpets anywhere! It's so small in there. I do always wonder what to do with that room- it always looks so bare and utilitarian (I don't actually mind a sparsely decorated room, but this looks just sort of... sterile) and I can't think of what to do without cluttering it. So, but no- I think it's just too small of a room.

KatieMae
02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah, see, our half-bath is actually pretty big (thus, kind of empty-looking w/o rugs :O ) let me post a picture... brb...

ETA: The door in the back of the room goes to my huge, awesome pantry. Don't ask me why it's accessed thru the bathroom :shrug

with the rugs...
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/katiemae1229/Bath1.jpg

without the rugs...
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/katiemae1229/Bath2.jpg

(Yes, I'll clean it now that I've shown you my dirty bathroom :shifty No one look at the dirt on the floor!)

charla
02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd say out with the rugs. I love the way the second picture looks and I'm usually a rug person. If you want a rug, you could just put the one back by the sink. I'm guessing it doesn't get as dirty as the one by the toilet does. :shifty

DoulaClara
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I'd say out with the rugs. I love the way the second picture looks and I'm usually a rug person. If you want a rug, you could just put the one back by the sink. I'm guessing it doesn't get as dirty as the one by the toilet does. :shifty

:yes ITA about going with one by the sink if going with one at all. That's a really nice sized half bath! Ours is... well, half that!

Soliloquy
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
We used to have a half-bath and no, I never had a rug in it. I've never had a rug in any of our bathrooms. We have towel-type bath mats that we use for stepping out of the tub/shower but they are laid across the edge of the tub when not in use. I've never liked rugs in my bathroom for all the reasons you mentioned. I love simplicity.

klpmommy
02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, it is just too cold here in the winter without rugs, esp since the kids & I walk around barefoot even when it is single digits outside. But in the spring-fall I am more likely to just not replace them as quickly.

KatieMae
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Kimberly, that's probably why I think we need rugs - b/c of the cold floor. But honestly, we're in Atlanta, I'm no longer living in PA. It's not *that* cold here. I need to get over it :giggle

I think I'll take them out. I'll wash them again & the put them in my donation box :) (woohoo! two more things out of the house!)
:ty

WanderingJuniper
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
We do but it is only there to cover the ripped up flooring from a dog we had. Once the floor is replaced there will be no rug in there.

Mama Calidad
02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I think a pretty rag-rug would look nice in there. (Yeah, there are pretty ones and ugly ones.) They pick up and throw down easily. I had one for our bath, but it got confiscated by DH to the kitchen. :giggle

I have to tell on myself, though. When I was looking at the thread title, I first read "If you have a half-birth..." and I was wondering if that was what you had when you were "sorta pregnant". Off to clean my glasses. :O

klpmommy
02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
and here, Laura, I thought you were going to chime in about how nice it was to have a rug in there for your cold winters. ;)

ncsweetpea
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I have ousted bathroom rugs from two of our three baths and I really like it...super easy to clean and no slippage for the little one! Go bare!

Mama Calidad
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
and here, Laura, I thought you were going to chime in about how nice it was to have a rug in there for your cold winters. ;)

:P~ :laughtears

Soliloquy
02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
We have no carpeting in our house. At first I didn't know if I liked it but I do love how easy it is to sweep and be done. We all have slippers instead.

Happygrl
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
We have a similarly-sized half bathroom but our sink doesn't have a cabinet, its just a pedestal. Without the rug, I think it looks too bare. Adding the rug also makes it look more "finished" to me. And we have white walls, white sink, white(ish) floor and the rug adds a little color. So, yes, we do have one. Its by the sink.

Amber
02-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Our half bath is tiny. I don't put a rug in it mainly because the 4yo has questionable aim and it is easier to clean the floor than the rug :shifty

kwisie
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Our half-bath is teeny tiny, just barely enough room for a toilet and a wall-mounted sink. So no, I don't have any rugs in there. If I were single and had no males living with me, I'd have a cute little toilet rug in there, but I'd much, much rather mop the floor than have that nastiness sitting in a rug. :sick

(Speaking of which - if guys have a way of, um, aiming, why can't they actually keep the urine in the toilet instead of all over the floor?! :hissyfit )

Heather Micaela
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I think a pretty rag-rug would look nice in there. (Yeah, there are pretty ones and ugly ones.) They pick up and throw down easily. I had one for our bath, but it got confiscated by DH to the kitchen. :giggle

I have to tell on myself, though. When I was looking at the thread title, I first read "If you have a half-birth..." and I was wondering if that was what you had when you were "sorta pregnant". Off to clean my glasses. :O

What does a rag rug look like? I have been curious since I read Christa's book

RealLifeMama
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
First, that bathroom looks clean to me.

We have a powder room, but it is about half that size. It just has a toilet and a pedestal sink, so no rugs. But with that size, I'd probably have rugs. It warms up the room a bit. Your half bath is about the size of our regular bathroom, except that where you have a wall, we have a tub.

KatieMae
02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
First, that bathroom looks clean to me.

:giggle Well thanks. I'll credit that to my not-so-great camera :yes

Drew
02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Out half bath is tiny and has a nice wooden floor so no rugs. We have bamboo bathmats in the master bath (ceramic tile floor gets cold) but that's it. Rugs in the bathroom, especially by the toilet gross me out.

Our half bath is tiny. I don't put a rug in it mainly because the 4yo has questionable aim and it is easier to clean the floor than the rug :shifty

But replace 4yo with husband. :shifty

(Speaking of which - if guys have a way of, um, aiming, why can't they actually keep the urine in the toilet instead of all over the floor?! :hissyfit )

It's a mystery of the ages. It's the one thing that makes me really envy my SIL marring the neat freak brother. :giggle