PDA

View Full Version : learning how to cut hair?

Proverbs31
02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
not sure where to put this :scratch mods please move if there's a better place.

I want to learn how to cut dd's hair. I only take her in twice a year for a haircut, but even so it's not cheap.

So, how do I learn? I am very inept at cutting *anything* straight.

Or should I just not do it then? I don't want dd to have a cruddy haircut, and at this point we can afford getting one. It just seems like such a waste of money to me.

Any thoughts welcome! :)

Teribear
02-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Have your dh learn instead.

I notice he's an engineer. A good haircut is very much about the right angles of cuts and truly is as much engineering as art. I say have him learn. :)

oscaroscarmommy
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
maybe you can find some you tube videos of kids getting their haircut. I think that's how I got started...watch and learn. It's really not that difficult...a girls hair is much easier than a boys. My kids' hair dosn't always look perfect but nobody really notices or cares if their bangs are too short or if it dosn't lie straight across their back. keep it as long as possible...that way if you mess up the hair dresser can fix it.

DragonfliiMama
02-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you know anyone who could teach you? If I ever decide to learn, I'll probably just ask my mom to teach me. Alternatively, if you know someone who knows how, maybe you can arrange a trade or something to have them just do it.

Lily
02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I can't cut my own hair, so I've started going to the local beauty college. It's about half the price of anywhere else and I've always gotten a great cut. :heart

Maybe you could watch when they cut your dd's hair and try to replicate it later (when she needs a trim).

Soaring Eagle
02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
The couple times that I did attempt to cut my dd's hair, I just gave her a trim. I tried to keep it straight but it took a few extra snips to get it kind of straight. Then I decided to let my mom trim her hair instead. She's was the one who cut our hair growing up.

Marielle
02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
naking get a book from the library. Hairdressers use their fingers (the inside ones) as an edge to snip against. That and they pull in a lock that's already been cut to draw up against that finger guide.

Proverbs31
02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
thanks everyone! I did wind up buying a book, and dd's hair turned out surprisingly well. :)

Teribear, I liked your idea...dh, not so much :giggle

now I'm going to try to learn to do ds's and dh's hair with clippers too