PDA

View Full Version : February Start a New Habit!!!!!

Living My Dream
02-03-2009, 02:37 AM
It takes 21-30 times for something to become a habit so if we start one thing a month it should be a habit by the end of the month and we can do another the next month!

Help each other out! Make your habit realistic, ie not "I will clean my whole house everyday." (unless you could do that!!!! :giggle)

Feel free to join in!

So far:

Living My Dream: Do at least SOME of the dishes everyday
Knitlove: Laundry
KLPmommy: Read with the children every day not including H/S or B/T
Erinee:
1Thessa5:17: Read a chapter of Proverbs a day
Monkeylicious: Read the bible and connect with the kids
Filmgirl2911: Starting the day with a special prayer to focus on NOT WORRYING!
Katydid:
Noodlemom: Slowly introduce peanut butter into diet, every 3 days or so
Greenjellysnakes: Doing the dishes before bed to wake up to a nice clean kitchen
Happygrl: Clear the computer desk
Shnooky: Do the dishes after every meal
Anjelika: Getting up on time
Hey Mommy: Do the dishes after dinner
Viola Mum: Fold and put away laundry, not leave it sitting
annettemarie: Get up at 6:30am to make the day run smoother
BlueSavannah: Keep a track of the finances
TrustingGod2: Daily devotions
LadybugSam: Make sure that the dishes are done so there isn't a load (or more) of dirty dishes waiting in the kitchen in the morning
Mamapepper: To relax!
Keira: Do laundry straight away
saturnfire16: Do some yoga each day

greenjellysnakes
02-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Mine will be to do the dishes every night before bed. I love getting up in the morning to a clean kitchen and an empty sink :yes

monkeylicious
02-03-2009, 05:36 AM
i'm going to try for two this month. read the Bible daily (should be doing this with the Bible study i'm attending - but have been trying to cram it in the last couple days before class instead) and do something intentional with my kids daily - maybe call this one connect with kids daily

klpmommy
02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't know what I want to do?????

Living My Dream
02-03-2009, 08:22 AM
what one thing would make your life easier?

anjelika
02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Getting up on time each day. Big struggle for all of us in the house.

hey mommy
02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Do the dishes every night after dinner.

filmgirl2911
02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm going to go with something more attitude-related versus a physical action / chore

I'd like to start each day with a short, simple prayer that will help me focus in a positive direction daily :yes (and I will repeat it throughout the day whenever my thoughts / attitude begin sliding into pity party mode ;) )

My prayer:

"LORD, I give this day to you. Today, fill me with your Spirit so that there is more of you and less of me. Help me keep my eyes on Jesus and not on the swelling waves of circumstances, which change constantly. Remind me to be thankful in all things and to trust you more and worry less as your Word says. And at the end of this day, no matter how well or poorly I've done these things, may I rest in your arms and be renewed in the hope of your mercy and grace."

ViolaMum
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I would love to do this, too. These are all great ideas.

hmmmmm.

Fold and put away the laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer. No leaving it in the basket.

klpmommy
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I picked one. :) I need to read to the kids every day at a time other than HS or bedtime. :)

annettemarie
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd really like to be out of bed by 6:30. I tried 5:30, and it just made me crabby. 6 seems really early too, but I used to do it. Lately though, we all roll of bed around 7:30, and it just isn't working.

Blue Savannah
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
better tracking finances is mine. I need a system!!

knitlove
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
yesterday I got laundry washed and dried :woohoo but not put away :/ , I now have another load dry and one in the wash that I got in today before I had to go ladies bible class and all the other junk I had to do, so now I am off to fold and put away.

trustingGod2
02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Start my daily devotions I read all of January to get caught up with the current date and here we go... :heart

klpmommy
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
I just finished reading two chapters of the book we are reading now. :) :woohoo

Happygrl
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey mommy's is the dishes after dinner, not mine. :)

Mine will be to clear off the computer desk each day. Not things like my papers to file but all the random things that end up on the desk.

knitlove
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I got yesterday's laundry folded and put away :woohoo and today's load is in the dryer and should be done, folded and put away before DH gets home (now if he was getting home at a moor reasonable time then I would be in trouble.

Shnooky
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Mine will be keeping up with the dishes after every meal

monkeylicious
02-04-2009, 06:07 AM
yesterday was not a good day to start... but i'm feeling better today and there is some snow on the ground - so, i think i'll take the kiddos outside to play. gigi has been dying to play in some snow :yes so time for mommy to suck it up and deal with the cold ;)

MudPies
02-04-2009, 06:28 AM
what fun to see everyone's habit!! I think of you ladies when I do mine!! and so far so good! :heart

MamaPepper
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
This sounds very intriguing. . Will you be doing this every month??

Living My Dream
02-04-2009, 06:38 AM
This sounds very intriguing. . Will you be doing this every month??

If people like it and it helps I dont see why not.

Off to update the list

Living My Dream
02-04-2009, 06:43 AM
How are you all getting on? Seems most of you are doing well. I was doing ok until yesterday. DH is off work today so he has done some dishes just now.

MamaPepper
02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
COOL! I don't care enough right now to work on forming a good habit. . but after the baby is born I'll totally participate!!! I'll look for the "April Start a New Habit" thread! :heart

Living My Dream
02-04-2009, 07:01 AM
:giggle hunny, you are producing life. relax!

MamaPepper
02-04-2009, 07:14 AM
:hug. . Thank you!!! I will TRY to relax. . Maybe that will by my habit for the next month. . . To RELAX at least once per day. . :think

Living My Dream
02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey mommy's is the dishes after dinner, not mine. :)

Sorry,sorted now :)

:hug. . Thank you!!! I will TRY to relax. . Maybe that will by my habit for the next month. . . To RELAX at least once per day. . :think

i actually think that would be a REALLY good idea.

MamaPepper
02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
i actually think that would be a REALLY good idea.

Cool. . Mark me down then! :rockon

greenjellysnakes
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Dishes done two nights in a row :tu

LadybugSam
02-04-2009, 01:17 PM
This is such a good idea!

Put me down for dishes

Specifically, making sure that the dishes are done so i don't have a load (or more) of dirty dishes waiting for me in the kitchen when i wake up in the morning. Keeping up with them during the day so i don't have to stay up until midnight to finish doing the dishes that didn't fit in the dishwasher.

Living My Dream
02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
well done tammy!

doing it now Sam x

annettemarie
02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, I'm not off to a stellar beginning-- we all slept in until 8:30 today.

filmgirl2911
02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
okay - mine is stated as starting my day with a special prayer - but I'd like you to revise it to my new habit being NOT TO WORRY - that is what I am hoping the prayer will help me stop doing - stop worrying about everything all the time - finances, the lemon of a car we are dealing with, finding a new place to live so that we can move out of my parents home where we are transitioning at the moment from a recent relocation, etc., etc., etc. I'd like to rediscover my joyful spirit / the peace that passes all understanding :yes

And so far, it's an uphill climb, but it's only the second day, right :yes

knitlove
02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I am doing ok today the sweaters are on the drying rack and the second load is in the wash.

judith - not worrying is such a big thing. It is some thing I have been working on for years, it can make such a big difference in your life :hug I am not sure it can ever be some thing I don't need to work on.

MamaPepper
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Well. . . Today is my first day of "relaxing". . . and since my friend came over for a playdate, I took the opportunity to go to run some errands BY MYSELF!!!!!

I'm lucky that my bank AND the post office is in the grocery store that I needed to go to, so I took my time, meandered the aisles and really truly had a relaxing time at it!!! It was nice to not feel rushed because I had two fighting toddlers throwing food out of the cart!!!!

It proby doesn't seem like much, but to me it was a start!

knitlove
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Well. . . Today is my first day of "relaxing". . . and since my friend came over for a playdate, I took the opportunity to go to run some errands BY MYSELF!!!!!

I'm lucky that my bank AND the post office is in the grocery store that I needed to go to, so I took my time, meandered the aisles and really truly had a relaxing time at it!!! It was nice to not feel rushed because I had two fighting toddlers throwing food out of the cart!!!!

It proby doesn't seem like much, but to me it was a start!

:cheer

hey mommy
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Wish I had a good excuse to relax.. :(

Anyhoo.. Dishes done at night for the past 5 nights! DH is thrilled and I'm happy b/c I get up in the morning to a clean kitchen to make lunches in. :) :rockon

klpmommy
02-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I read to the kids before my dr appt, which is a good thing since I didn't have another chance today.

MamaPepper
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM

I don't really see that I need an "excuse" to relax. . . I need to relax to survive. . . Would you like me to tell you why? ;)

Living My Dream
02-05-2009, 06:16 AM
well done ladies! You are all doing SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than me.

filmgirl2911
02-05-2009, 06:46 AM
okay - started the day with prayer before baby girl and I got out of bed and plan to pray whenever one of my favorite worry topics creeps into my mind. will see how it goes :yes

MamaPepper
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM
okay - started the day with prayer before baby girl and I got out of bed and plan to pray whenever one of my favorite worry topics creeps into my mind. will see how it goes :yes

Sounds like a great start!!!! :heart

We'll see how today goes and if I have a chance to slow down and relax for 10 minutes. Noah is sleeping now, but he's come down with a horrible cough and isn't feeling good AT ALL and DS2 is acting a bit whiny this morning. . . I was hoping to get to go to MOPS for the first time and would have gotten my chance there, but with Noah sick I just can't. . .

SO, since DS2 usually takes a nap, I'm hoping that Noah will do quiet time on the couch at the SAME time so that I can decompress for a little bit. . . Yesterday, going to the grocery store, was the FIRST time in the month and half I've been here that I was physically away from my boys. . . It seemed SO wonderful to have that bit of 'peace'. . . and made me realize when I got back that the boys probably need a bit of a break from ME too once in awhile!!!!

The more pregnant I get, the more I am realizing that I need to have a time each day where I can just sit and breath. . . It makes me a MUCH better mommy! I could theoretically get this after the boys are in bed, BUT :O I'm SO tired now I just got to bed at 8:00 with them. :yes and THERE goes any time I might have for myself. . . .

At any rate, I guess what I'm saying is that I will TRY to get in 10 minutes of relaxation today! :)

Living My Dream
02-05-2009, 07:04 AM
thinkin of you today MP

keep going judith, you can do it

klpmommy
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I read to the kids again today. they are really enjoying the Magic Schoolbus Chapter books. :rockon

knitlove
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I haven't done laundry today but technically I got today's laundry done yesterday.

MamaPepper
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
YAY knitlove and klpmommy

I did ignore the dishes for awhile today and while the boys were playing nicely (which hardly EVER happens) I put aside all of the things that I NEEDED to do with the house and I just laid on the couch and enjoyed watching the boys play together. . . I honestly don't think I've EVER done that before!!! It was really nice and frankly, I've been a MUCH nicer and more tolerant mommy today!

Kiera
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok so, mine is to fold and put away laundry right after it comes out of the dryer.

hey mommy
02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
nm

Living My Dream
02-06-2009, 02:03 AM
:rockon knitlove!

Firebird Rising
02-06-2009, 02:25 AM

I don't really see that I need an "excuse" to relax. . . I need to relax to survive. . . Would you like me to tell you why? ;)

I'm guessing it's b/c you are lucky enough to have 2 young kids & be pg again.. THAT is the excuse I wish I had.

Janice, I'm PMing you. :heart

saturnfire16
02-06-2009, 02:26 AM
I have about 10 new habits that I've been trying to form. I think that's my problem- I want to change everything at once and then end up not changing anything. Ok, so now I have to decide on one.... hhhhhmmmm.

I think I'll go with yoga. I need to do yoga every day, even if it's just a short work out.

Living My Dream
02-06-2009, 02:46 AM
:hug2 janice

MamaPepper
02-06-2009, 07:08 AM

I'm guessing it's b/c you are lucky enough to have 2 young kids & be pg again.. THAT is the excuse I wish I had.

Edited b/c I don't need to explain myself :)

knitlove
02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
I put aside all of the things that I NEEDED to do with the house and I just laid on the couch and enjoyed watching the boys play together. . . I honestly don't think I've EVER done that before!!! It was really nice and frankly, I've been a MUCH nicer and more tolerant mommy today!

this sounds wonderful!

MamaPepper
02-06-2009, 07:15 AM
I have about 10 new habits that I've been trying to form. I think that's my problem- I want to change everything at once and then end up not changing anything. Ok, so now I have to decide on one.... hhhhhmmmm.

I think I'll go with yoga. I need to do yoga every day, even if it's just a short work out.

OOOohhhh, That's a REALLY good one!!! I wish that I would have done that this whole pregnancy, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get in OR out of any poses now. . . Maybe the tree pose :shifty

Maybe I should use Pose of a Child for my relaxation every day and then I'd be doing BOTH yoga AND relaxing!!!

I'm totally psyched for you on this one!!!

filmgirl2911
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
okay - so how is everybody doing with their new habit? :cool it's been several days since this thread popped up on the New Posts so I thought I'd get it back up there and encourage everyone to keep going :yes

As for me - the worrying is still there, but I am doing my prayer focus in the morning and through the day - it seems to be helping me worry a little less (and that seems to also be having a positive impact on our circumstances - we are able to make more traction when we are not fretting but acting :smile)

Anyone else have an update ;)

knitlove
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I am doing ok. I need to fold yesterday's cloths but I am still on top of the laundry.

hey mommy
02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I haven't been doing well this week. I only did dishes once after dinner. I need to empty the dishwasher & fill it up again.

LadybugSam
02-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I haven't been doing so well :shifty I've been keeping up with the dishes better, but they're usually at least a partial load waiting for me in the morning. Grrrrrr.

klpmommy
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
:bag My dad is here this week, so the kids are enjoying playing with him & I am enjoying as much peace as I can muster.

LadybugSam
02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
:jump2 I've woken up to a spotless kitchen for the past 4 days :jump2

(You can't see this, but i totally just gave myself a high five :giggle )