PDA

View Full Version : Are memory foam mattresses any good?

momofmany
01-29-2009, 11:02 PM
I've been planning on getting the kids new coil mattresses but Kmart has memory foam ones on sale. Are they comfortable? Do they hold up well? Should I just go for the regular kind?

TIA :)

Desert Rose
01-30-2009, 12:00 AM
We got one from Costco and love it. Make sure you check the reviews for the brand you are getting.

IslandHome
01-30-2009, 03:02 AM
We got a really expensive one which I loved while I was pregnant. I'm now getting a sore back from it - I far prefer a firm mattress, and have found the memory foam has begun sagging in the lower back area.

me
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
from what ive been reading the thickness is important for the weight of the person using it. im guessing for children it doesnt have to be as much. same for the ....um.. :scratch i think its density or something or other. ill go try and find the info im refering to.

eta:i just noticed when you started this. did you get it?

Soliloquy
02-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I would call the manufacturer and find out what kind of flame retardants were used in it. For some reason, the flame retardants used in foam can be even worse (toxicity wise) than the ones used in conventional mattresses.

Marielle
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
they can be super hot. We had a tempurpedic 2" topper that fit over the top of our mattress several years ago and that thing made us sweat like pigs. Ugh. We eventually had to give it away.

ViolaMum
02-13-2009, 07:31 PM
We've had a Tempur-Pedic for 8 years. We can't sleep on anything else. The biggest plus - Dh is a real flopper and used to wake me up all.the.time. I don't notice it at all on the Tempur-Pedic. It did take a lot of getting used to, though. FWIW, We don't have a problem with it being hot.

momofmany
02-14-2009, 02:18 AM
from what ive been reading the thickness is important for the weight of the person using it. im guessing for children it doesnt have to be as much. same for the ....um.. :scratch i think its density or something or other. ill go try and find the info im refering to.

eta:i just noticed when you started this. did you get it?

Nope, I've been procrastinating and need to get on the ball. I'm glad this got bumped up again :)

Jenjardin
02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
They're good for some people, not so good for others. We've had ours for some years now, and DH's back pain improved right away with it. Me, not so much (not so much pain issues but sleep comfort). When we were on vacation a couple of years ago, the place we stayed at had a really luxurious pillow-top mattress that I got my best sleep ever on, but he didn't like it.

ShiriChayim
02-14-2009, 11:27 AM
They're good for some people, not so good for others. We've had ours for some years now, and DH's back pain improved right away with it. Me, not so much (not so much pain issues but sleep comfort). When we were on vacation a couple of years ago, the place we stayed at had a really luxurious pillow-top mattress that I got my best sleep ever on, but he didn't like it.
:yes Dh used to sell mattresses, and he always LOVED the memory foam and kept wanting to get one, but every time I've tried to test one, if felt like laying on rocks to me. It seems to be something people either really love or really hate :shrug

crunchymum
02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
i love ours. :)

HummusDip
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
We tried one out at a furniture store last weekend and FELL.IN.LOVE!!!!

But instead, we're going to get the memory foam pad that you ly on the top of your current mattress, from Walmart. To save money! And then, we can just replace the pad if need be. :)

Ima LeShalosh
02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
they can be super hot. We had a tempurpedic 2" topper that fit over the top of our mattress several years ago and that thing made us sweat like pigs. Ugh. We eventually had to give it away.
same thing I was going to say.

I can't stand the MF mattresses...when you try and turn over you feel a thousand pounds heavier..almost like a firm support water bed