PDA

View Full Version : URGH! How did we aquire so much junk??

CakeLady
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Seriously, how did that happen? I am finally taking a good luck through our bathroom cabinets and I am :jawdrop at how much junk there is in there. It all belongs in the bathroom, but how did we get so much stuff? I am decluttering and throwing out all meds that are past their expiration, half used bottles of things that got shoved to the back, things that we don't (or won't use).

I worked on just our bathroom for an 1 1/2 hours this morning and took a break and now I'm back in there to finish it. Then on to DD's bathroom.

Literally, from just our bathroom I have two full size garbage bags full of garbage (and I'm not done yet) AND I'm starting a nice pile of stuff to freecycle later today or tomorrow.

Singingmom
01-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Good for you! It's hard to stay ahead of the junk.

tazmom
01-29-2009, 10:52 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Between the HHBC and rearranging half my house to accommodate the new baby, I've decluttered MASSIVE amounts of stuff. One trunkload (of my explorer!) was stuffed animals alone.

I can't figure out how it got this bad. Okay, maybe I can. I haven't done any real decluttering since we moved in 10 years ago. But I still can't believe I LET it get this bad.

April G
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't know if you thought of this or not, but if you have medications, they shouldn't be thrown in the garbage. Most pharmacies will dispose of them properly for you. (at least they do here in canada).

LadybugSam
01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
wow, that is a lot of junk. I'm getting itchy about all my stuff too. I need to go through and purge.

CakeLady
01-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't know if you thought of this or not, but if you have medications, they shouldn't be thrown in the garbage. Most pharmacies will dispose of them properly for you. (at least they do here in canada).

:think I had never heard that before. I will have to check on it.

We ended up with three full garbage bags full of junk from the bathrooms and a couple cabinets in our room. DH was quite pleased, but didn't realize it was even an issue. MEN!!!
I still have a bit more to do in our bathroom (the bottom shelf...it's hard to get down there with my big belly). And I want to really tackle the hall closet....but first I need to do a quick p/u of the house (vacuum, dishes, etc).

I know it doesn't have to be done before the baby, but I really want it all done....it's causing me lots of stress for some reason.

Grover
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I feel the same about our house.We have found a few roots in our home
1]we had it so tough when we started out -we tend to see the 'usefulness' in everything-even junk.
2I have an emotional attachment to stuff like baby clothes.I think back to how cute they looked in something or how pleased I was to give them that and I mistakenly hold on to that as part of their babyhood or something
3] I procrastinate.I hate to throwanything away if its got another use but just dont have the time or the transport to recycle stuff effectively.

tazmom
01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I know it doesn't have to be done before the baby, but I really want it all done....it's causing me lots of stress for some reason.

I'm feeling the same way this time around. I even have a list of every area of the house that has yet to be cleaned out and deep cleaned. Everyone keeps telling me how great the house looks, but all I see is what hasn't been finished yet.

CakeLady
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM

I'm feeling the same way this time around. I even have a list of every area of the house that has yet to be cleaned out and deep cleaned. Everyone keeps telling me how great the house looks, but all I see is what hasn't been finished yet.

Me too! Too bad you are 45 min away or we could help each other. At least with babysitting or something.

And I'm really excited that DH is noticing... :rockon

tazmom
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
My dh can't help but notice, he's been helping along the way.

Like when I cleaned out the kitchen cabinets, I emptied them out, cleaned the shelves, and sorted the keep from get rid of, but I couldn't figure out where to put everything back to. He came home to empty cabinets, every dish we own on the kitchen table, and me sitting there staring at it all dumbfounded.

It's to the point now that every weekend when we're talking about our plans he asks me what project we'll be doing. He is LOVING the results. He was a neat freak when I met him and clutter stresses him out. It's just the process (work) he's not in love with.