PDA

View Full Version : Natural Cabinet Cleaning Help!

Panamama
01-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Okay, so I've been reading and gleening from you ladies for over a year, but I now I have to post. I need help! I was so inspired by all the natural cleaning recipes, I threw out all my cleaning products, ordered some castille soap and essential oils, and have been loving the cleaning life. Until....I tried this recipe on my kitchen cabinets:

Rosemary’s Residue-Removing Counter Cleanser (use a hot water rinse with this to get gunk off of counters, especially in the bathroom with hair spray!)

1/2 cup distilled or bottled water
1/2 cup castile soap
4-6 drops rosemary essential oil (if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure, or epilepsy, use sweet orange or tangerine instead.

Combine all ingredients in spray bottle, gently swirl to blend, and spray directly onto surface. Wipe with a soft cloth, then rinse well with hot tap water and enjoy the shine!

I used Citrus castille soap, and tangerine essential oil. It smelled great and worked amazing! I was so proud showing my DH, and it was so late at night, I just went to bed and forgot the hot water rinse. :doh In the morning my kitchen cabinets smelled like vomit. :sick I immediately did the hot water rinse, and dried them well, as Panama is very hot and humid. The scent lifted slightly, but it has been 3 days and it is still strong every time you enter the kitchen. I don't know if it was because I put the mixture in a plastic squirt bottle, but many recipes suggest plastic bottles, and the liquid inside still smells beautifully fruity. Did I get a bad bottle of oil? What did I do wrong? How do I get this smell out of my kitchen? AAAHHHH!!

Blue Savannah
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
:think I wonder if cleaning them somehow brought up the smell, rather than the smell being from the cleaner?

bumping. . . maybe someone else will know. :heart

Panamama
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
We live in a very humid place, so there could be lots of stuff hiding in there. Any suggestions for what to do next? I can hardly stand being in my kitchen.

Blue Savannah
01-30-2009, 01:13 AM
I wish someone besides me had ideas for you! :shifty If they were my cabinets, I'd probably sprinkle baking soda on the shelves one evening and vacuum it up in the morning. :hugheart