PDA

View Full Version : Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins

momyshaver
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I decided to clean out my freezer of odds and ends and was searching for a good banana muffin recipe when I came upon this. I took a few liberties with the recipe when noted, but otherwise kept to the recipe. These were very yummy. 1 muffin = 4 points, but there are a lot of good-for-you ingredients in the recipe, so I just factored it into my plan for the day.

These muffins are delicious, smell good, look pretty, have a great texture, and best of all they are 100% healthy! No refined flour or sweeteners. We have a big family, so this recipe makes a lot of muffins, but it is easily halved for a smaller group. To make the muffins lower in fat, replace half of the oil with unsweetened applesauce. You can also use "white whole-wheat" flour, which is softer than that made with red wheat (but has the exact same nutritional value).

35 min | 20 min prep

24 muffins

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
1 cup honey
4 eggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas *(I just mashed up about 5 med. banana..so I didn't measure)
1/2 cup hot water

Stir together dry ingredients.
Beat oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well.
Add bananas and beat to combine.
Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition. (I tried to do the "muffin method" of mixing and noticed when I scooped the batter into the tins that it was really clumpy..had to scoop it back in the bowl and REALLY mix it. I don't know if it was b/c I used 100% freshly ground whole wheat, but just fwiw...)

Spoon batter into 24 greased muffin cups; bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and test done.
Remove from oven and cool on rack.

Emerald Orchid
01-26-2009, 02:40 PM
:yum

momyshaver
01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
:yum

Totally. I need to wire my trap shut so I don't scarf down any more of these! I am not even hungry but they are calling me :giggle

BeckaBlue
02-03-2009, 11:32 PM
perfect!!! i was just coming here to ask about a whole wheat banana muffin! i want to send a special treat for dc's bdays but the school doesnt allow cakes/cupcakes anymore
I need to pick up the stuff to try these out before they need em :giggle

BeckaBlue
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
who wants to know the estimated nutrition of these?

you know you want to :shifty

4248 cal
110.5 g fat
17g sat fat
5045 mg sodium
1780 mg potassium
796g carbs
71g protien
860mg cholesterol
119g sugars

that's obviously for the whole batch

and you can get roughly 108 mini muffins per batch :smile

mummy2boys
02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Will have to try this one out....Thanks :smile

BeckaBlue
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
a little hint about olive oil-use a light oo instead of extra virgin...extra virgin makes em a bit bitter imo

MaybeGracie
02-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I made these earlier this week and we all loved them. I'll be making more this weekend (because this batch only lasted a couple days :shifty).

Emerald Orchid
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I finally made these, and wow, these are good muffins!!! :yum