PDA

View Full Version : Natural cleaner for tarnished silver?

Blueberrybabies
01-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't have any chemical silver cleaner anyway. :) I turned up some silver baby spoons I'd like to let E use, but they look awful. How can I clean them?

doubleblessings
01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I have heard that you can rub with aluminum foil, but I haven't tried it. :shrug

Eowyn
01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I've cleaned tarnished rings with a little bit of baking soda.

crunchymum
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
i think you submerge a piece of aluminum foil in a pan of *hot* water, add some baking soda and some salt, and soak the silver in that. make sure the silver is touching the aluminum foil *and* touching each other (if you have more than one piece). you can leave it in there for up to 5 minutes, i think. the tarnish should dissolve... and then you just rinse and buff. :)

you can also make a paste of baking soda and water, and gently scrub with that.

hth!

ArmsOfLove
01-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I hope someone else can verify this but I thought I read to cut a lemon in half and dip it in salt and rub that on the silver :think Was that from Martha Stewart? :scratch

knitlove
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
i think you submerge a piece of aluminum foil in a pan of *hot* water, add some baking soda and some salt, and soak the silver in that. make sure the silver is touching the aluminum foil *and* touching each other (if you have more than one piece). you can leave it in there for up to 5 minutes, i think. the tarnish should dissolve... and then you just rinse and buff. :)

:yes