PDA

View Full Version : fire ants in the house!!

Lavender Lily
01-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Some how they made their way in. today I've killed 20. I'm not sure but I think they're coming in through our vent in the ceiling, thats the only opening I can think of. Plus they are in that shelving spot in our restroom.
How do we get rid of them indoors without harding the kids with chemicals?

ArmsOfLove
01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I know this sounds really gross but fwiu human urine will keep ants away. I might be tempted to spray it into cracks or wherever you think they are coming in. :(

Lavender Lily
01-23-2009, 10:59 PM
when I read that I pictured dh and ds1 doing the job. :hunh :giggle
I'm pretty sure they're coming through the vent in the ceiling. At the moment they are not coming in like black ants do..in a uniform line. These guys are just scattered, like 6 at a time.

Victorious
01-24-2009, 08:50 AM
borax

Lavender Lily
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
wil it work if I mix it in water and spray the wall that they climb down on?

Ali
01-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Honestly, fire ants are very tough. I had them coming into my house through the brickwork on our fireplace, despite having had my home sprayed inside and out by the exterminator. The only way I got rid of them was when the exterminator found the actual nest outside and treated it specially for fire ants. He also treated the whole yard with another chemical\so they would not just move the nest. He did use chemicals, but it was outside and I kept DS away from the area for a while.

Victorious
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure about mixing with water. I believe the way it works is they think it's food and take it back to the queen, it kills the queen and thus kills the nest. Here's several ideas you can try: chttp://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html