PDA

View Full Version : Alternative ideas for swiffer mopping

charla
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm finding that I am spending a small fortune on swiffer mop replacements. I'd like to figure out something different that's a little cheaper. I don't like using a mop and bucket and I definitely don't like cleaning a floor on hands and knees. Any alternative ideas? Did someone mention one time using microfiber cloths on the swiffer? If so, please tell me more about this option, too. What works best for you?

RiverRock
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
What about a bea mop? The kind with foam and a piece that you use to squeeze out the excess water? Another option is a floor duster. I have a tool that has a flat plastic piece that swivels at the end of a pole. I bought a few terry cloth covers that fit over this. My original purpose for it was to dust my walls after we built our house. I bought it from the same specialtly store that we bought the stain and varnish for our hardwood floors. I'm not sure I've seen them for sale since.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
01-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I went to dollar general and bought a mr clean mop that had a washable swifferlike pad. I bought an extra pad so when one needed to get washed I could use the other one. I have to say I love it. It works both wet and dry . I believe it is microfiber to catch all kinds of dust too.

charla
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I went to dollar general and bought a mr clean mop that had a washable swifferlike pad. I bought an extra pad so when one needed to get washed I could use the other one. I have to say I love it. It works both wet and dry . I believe it is microfiber to catch all kinds of dust too.

I did a search online for this, but can't seem to find the particular one you are talking about. Do you have a link?

RiverRock, I'm pondering the idea of the mop that you squeeze out excess water. I have one of those, but I'm thinking I'd need to use a bucket with that, wouldn't I?

Heather Micaela
01-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I use a this (http://www.starfibers.com/mops.php) - have for several years and swear by it. Like aswiffer but reusable :rockon

I think there is a version at Bed Bath and Beyond

ETA - I rinse it under the sink then throw it in the wash 1x a week (that is w/ everyday mopping)

Leslie_JJKs_mom
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Sorry I have no idea where to even look on line. I got mine in the store. The pad for it is yellow and white stripes.

Heather Micaela
01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry I have no idea where to even look on line. I got mine in the store. The pad for it is yellow and white stripes.

The link I posted is similar :)

KatieMae
01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Get ANY kind of cloth (I use microfiber ones so there's some texture) & soak in diluted cleaner. Take one out & squeeze excess liquid; attach to Swiffer. Mop. Throw in washing machine.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy :yes

Heather Micaela
01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
IF you use microfiber, you may be able to avoid cleaner except when santitation is need

KatieMae
01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
And you can use the dry microfiber cloths instead of the regular Swiffer dry-cloths.

I use diluted Biokleen AP Cleaner for my wet cloths, btw, so I also pull them out to wipe bathroom counters & shower walls ;)

Happygrl
01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Some WAHMs make reusable cloth covers for Swiffers. I got my mom a couple. I can't remember the WAHM but, if you're interested, I'll find out.

I have a mop that I got from QVC. You fill the handle up with cleaner (I use water & vinegar), the cloth heads are reusable and the handle squirts the fluid onto the floor. Love it.

Rabbit
01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Get ANY kind of cloth (I use microfiber ones so there's some texture) & soak in diluted cleaner. Take one out & squeeze excess liquid; attach to Swiffer. Mop. Throw in washing machine.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy :yes

Yup. Super simple, and no buying new stuff.

brandi
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I just use a wash cloth and a spray bottle with sal suds. I use a dry washcloth to get all the fuzzies from under the furniture. I got tired of buy replacement clothes just to throw them away :shrug

mellifera
01-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I use a damp washcloth with my swiffer. It works well for me!

charla
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Okay, so now on these homemade "swiffer" cloths, can I use vinegar and water solution? Would that be good for cleaning/disinfecting floors (bathroom and kitchen :sick)? Or is something else better? I'd really like to try a homemade cleaner if someone has one to share.

Heather Micaela
01-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I use vinegar water w/ the one I linked :yes

Leslie_JJKs_mom
01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
One bottle of pure vinegar and a bottle of peroxide. I spray one then the other and wipe. The smell is not as pleasent as nice cleaners but I have read that it kills germs better then pure bleach.

Rabbit
01-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Okay, so now on these homemade "swiffer" cloths, can I use vinegar and water solution? Would that be good for cleaning/disinfecting floors (bathroom and kitchen :sick)? Or is something else better? I'd really like to try a homemade cleaner if someone has one to share.

My lazy way of mopping right now is to dump straight vinegar here and there on the floor, and wipe it up with a dry cloth. It spreads around and gets the whole floor while I do that. Combine that with peroxide, and you'd have a completely sanitized floor.

Heather Micaela
01-23-2009, 11:00 PM

My lazy way of mopping right now is to dump straight vinegar here and there on the floor, and wipe it up with a dry cloth. It spreads around and gets the whole floor while I do that. Combine that with peroxide, and you'd have a completely sanitized floor.

hey - me too! :mr green

sweetpeasmommy
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
How to refill a swiffer bottle-
Soak the top in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then twist the lid right off . Fill the container with 1 cup of warm water, 1/2 cup white vinegar. Then just put the lid back on and put it back in the Swiffer. :rockon

tempus vernum
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I love my SH mop http://www.thecleanteam.com/catalog_f.cfm You can get something VERY similar at target :) and I use microfiber heads so I don't use much cleaner at all :)

mommylove
01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
I love my SH mop http://www.thecleanteam.com/catalog_f.cfm You can get something VERY similar at target :) and I use microfiber heads so I don't use much cleaner at all :)

That looks huge. I have the Target version (O-Mop) but it's pretty small. For as much tile as I have, yours would probably be better. (I usually use a mop & bucket, though.)

doubleblessings
01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a Clorox Ready Mop (http://www.clorox.com/products/overview.php?prod_id=crm&WT.srch=1). I cut dish cloths into the hourglass like shape and stick them in the pincher things. I usually wet them first, but you don't have to. I put water in the mop and use a spray bottle of cleaner only where needed.

JessicaTX
01-28-2009, 10:11 AM
How about a shark steam mop? Nothing but hot water to clean and sanitize =D

tempus vernum
01-30-2009, 03:27 PM

That looks huge. I have the Target version (O-Mop) but it's pretty small. For as much tile as I have, yours would probably be better. (I usually use a mop & bucket, though.)

Yeah no mop and bucket here. I just wet the covers with water and maybe a little vinegar or e.o.'s and mop. Change the cover when icky. It is pretty large - it's great :mrgreen

canadiyank
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I use an oMop but haven't been that thrilled with it compared to the wet swiffers (not the spray kind I don't have one of those). I have to mess around with it a bit more b/c I like the idea. I like the dumping vinegar on the floor, too, I like the smell and it sound easy.