PDA

View Full Version : What kind of washer to get?

Blue Aurora
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
We've got to buy a new washer asap and we were given money from our realtor :rockon What should I get? I feel some what skeptical about the front loaders...not sure why though. I need something super capacity and i'll be washing diapers every other day after the baby is born. Suggestions?

RiverRock
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I have the LG extra capacity front loader with a sanitization cyle that works great for diapers. I just don't like that the gasket gets grungy, otherwise I've been happy with my machine. My previous 2 toploaders would often go off balance with diapers so I guess neither option is perfect. :shrug

RiverRock
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh, another thing about front loaders is that they spin out a lot more water so there is a shorter drying time. :tu

Blue Aurora
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
do you ever have a build up problem with the diapers? I've heard that as a complaint with the front loaders.

Tuesdayschild
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a front loader. I have no problems with diapers. And if I leave the laundry overnight it does not smell :tu

Blue Aurora
01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh and the washer that came with the house is from the 60's but the dryer is alot newer so I guess the washer just hadn't given out yet. I'm pretty sure it left a hole in one of our clothes so I'm ready to replace now.

RiverRock
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
do you ever have a build up problem with the diapers? I've heard that as a complaint with the front loaders.

No problem with build-up, and I haven't had to strip dipes since using the sanitization cycle because it uses really hot water! I use very little soap, of course. I think a lot of the build-up is from soap or using too much EO's (I use these sparingly, too).

Blue Aurora
01-23-2009, 10:55 AM
what kind of detergent do you use?

RealLifeMama
01-23-2009, 11:00 AM
:popcorn

RiverRock
01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I use Ecos:Magnolia and Lily, for HE machines. I buy it at Costco.

Iarwain
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
A front loader is great but do NOT get a GE front loader! I bought one last spring and it was terrific at first but I've started having all kinds of problems with it. The door seal randomly gets holes in it and I've had it replaced twice (fortunately under warranty and I will be extending the warranty just for that reason!) and now it's not draining and spinning properly. Last time that happened it had sucked an entire sock through one of the little drain holes. I have no idea how that happened but it shouldn't happen IMO.

crunchymum
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
i have terrible issues with my front loader. :/ i think you can find a HE top loader, too... i would do that.

we didn't start having issues until about a year after we got ours. i still don't know if that's the reason we eventually had to stop cloth diapering, but i do know that all of our whites get super dingy in the front loader.

Blue Aurora
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
ahh a HE top loader..... off to google

knitlove
01-23-2009, 11:24 AM
ahh a HE top loader..... off to google

My Grandmother got one of these and she love it!

Yuliana
01-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I would get a top loader w/ a clear top so I can see the clothes washing w/out opening it :shifty

Blue Aurora
01-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Everything has bad reviews.... it's frustrating

Tuesdayschild
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
i have terrible issues with my front loader. :/ i think you can find a HE top loader, too... i would do that.

we didn't start having issues until about a year after we got ours. i still don't know if that's the reason we eventually had to stop cloth diapering, but i do know that all of our whites get super dingy in the front loader.

Really? I've never had dingy whites :think Maybe US front loaders are different from EU ones???

crunchymum
01-24-2009, 03:47 PM
what kind do you have? and how long have you had it?

seriously, we don't have whites anymore, we have grays.... :no2

Tuesdayschild
01-26-2009, 05:28 AM
AEG Electrolux 64840

http://www.aeg-electrolux.co.uk/node146.asp?ProdID=20273

Is it your machine or could it be your washing powder?

Drew
01-26-2009, 07:15 AM
A front loader is great but do NOT get a GE front loader! I bought one last spring and it was terrific at first but I've started having all kinds of problems with it. The door seal randomly gets holes in it and I've had it replaced twice (fortunately under warranty and I will be extending the warranty just for that reason!) and now it's not draining and spinning properly. Last time that happened it had sucked an entire sock through one of the little drain holes. I have no idea how that happened but it shouldn't happen IMO.

My mom had these very same issues repeatedly! I wonder if she has a GE? :think

what kind do you have? and how long have you had it?

seriously, we don't have whites anymore, we have grays.... :no2

That really stinks. These things are far too expensive to become junk within a couple of years. :hug2 Our LG is still fine. I wonder if it's because ours is a different model (steam washer) or because we haven't washed dipes in it. You were having smell issues as well, weren't you?

Emerald Orchid
01-26-2009, 07:35 AM
I bought a GE front loader a few weeks ago. I like how it washes and my dipes don't stink as opposed to my old washer. But it already has an electronic problem, the door randomly unlocks during the cycle. The technician is coming over today. We also bought the extended warranty knowing how cheaply appliances are made nowadays. :no2

crunchymum
01-26-2009, 08:55 AM
i don't think it's my detergent, i've always used HE detergent. we have the non steam cleaner LG... there's actually been a class action lawsuit brought against LG for my model of washer, many many people are having stink issues and dingy clothes. they're saying that the drain holes are too small and detergent builds up around the outside of the drum and grows mold. we have the stink problem as well, the only way i've been able to handle this so we can actually wear our clothes is to get highly scented detergent. :sick we had the smell issues long before i started washing dipes in it. can you tell i'm bitter? :giggle :O i have to say, other than those major issues, i LOVE the capacity and the energy saving qualities of the front loader. :)

Tuesdayschild
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
:think could you run the machine empty with just soda crystals or something? Or just run a hot cycle? Would that clean it a bit?

crunchymum
01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
oh let me tell you, we've tried EVERYTHING... :phew short of taking the machine apart and manually cleaning the drum. sending "whirl out" (the stuff that helps get rid of whirl pool tub build-up) through a few times cuts down on the smell, but it always comes back after a couple of loads, and the whirl out is expensive. :/ *sigh* maybe the class action will go through and i'll get a new washer... wouldn't that be great? :lol

i've totally derailed this thread! sorry! :blush back to your regularly scheduled topic!

Blue Aurora
01-27-2009, 09:03 AM
No, your experience is very pertinent. I'm sorry you have had such trouble with yours.

crunchymum
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
oh crazy! i got off this thread to check my email, and this was in my inbox:

Several class members have inquired about the process for receiving checks from LG. Please note that the LG washing machines class action lawsuit has not been resolved, as the Court has not reached a decision yet.

LG has been sending out checks, which are for very small amounts, to purchasers of LG washing machines. We are investigating whether the checks are improper. Please notify me immediately if you have received a check, or if you receive one in the future.

Although your name may not be listed on the filed complaint, you are a part of this lawsuit because our complaint includes all similarly-situated individuals in the U.S. Once the Court approves this matter as a class action case, then we can proceed to name you as a class member. We will keep your contact information on file, and will notify you when we can move forward.

Diana Wong

there's another law firm in on it, too: http://www.murrayfrank.com/CM/NewCases/LG-Electronics.asp

we'll see, i guess... :shrug

Lady Grey
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Jen - do you happen to know the model number of your LG? We are looking at a second hand LG later today....

crunchymum
01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
sorry, i'm just now getting back to this thread...

our machine is an LG TROMM WM2077CW. http://www.washing-machine-wizard.com/l-g-tromm-model-wm2077cw.html

Lady Grey
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Thank you! The one we are looking at is a different model.

crunchymum
01-28-2009, 07:58 PM
:tu i think it's my model that's having all the problems... obviously it's a design defect, otherwise why would LG be sending out checks?