PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a can of cherry pie filling?

kiloyd
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a can of cherry pie filling. Any desserts I could use this for?

Psyche
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Bake it with a crumb topping?

annettemarie
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Serve it over homemade vanilla pudding?

TuneMyHeart
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
over cheesecake :shifty

Psyche
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM

OOO! You could get the Philly ready made cheese cake mix, whip it all together and eat with graham crackers!

pastelsummer
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

OOO! You could get the Philly ready made cheese cake mix, whip it all together and eat with graham crackers!

oh my ladies you are making me have a nasty craving!!!! not nice!!!! :P~

Jeanette598
01-19-2009, 08:23 PM
How about dump cake? Pour the cherry pie filling and a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple in a 9 x 13 pan and swirl together. Top with a white or yellow cake mix. Then take a stick and a half of butter or margarine, cut it into squares, and lay it on top of the cake mix. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 and serve with Cool Whip. Delicious!

JJsMom
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Oh man :yum That all sounds good, although when I read your subject line, my first thought was "eat it. Right out of the can." I am pg though. :shifty :giggle

Apple-Saucy
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Dump Cake

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of melted butter/margarine
1 can cherry pie filling.
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350deg

Pour pie filling into a baking dish. Mix everything else into a crumbly mixture and pour over top of pie filling (or you can just mix the cake mix nuts and coconut together put on top of pie filling and then pour melted butter on top!)

Bake for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.

YUM

Jenjardin
01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
This is a super-easy cherry cobbler my MIL makes that everyone loves.

Melt 1 stick butter in round or oval casserole dish (or similar oven proof dish)
Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 cup milk in bowl until well blended.
Gently pour into melted butter. Don't stir.
Add one can of cherry pie filling (or other fruit filling) by gently pouring or spooning into the middle of the batter mixture. Again don't stir.
Cook at 350 for 30 - 45 minutes depending on your oven.

It all switches around as it bakes; the batter rises and the fruit sinks and it is soooo yummy. You can serve it warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, although DH's family eats it as is.

:yum

kiloyd
01-20-2009, 06:03 AM
Oh my goodness, your ideas are good. yum!

The dump cake sounds good and so does the cobbler. Hhhmm, which to do. I dont' have pineapple but need to go to the store today.

RealLifeMama
01-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Oh my goodness, your ideas are good. yum!

The dump cake sounds good and so does the cobbler. Hhhmm, which to do. I dont' have pineapple but need to go to the store today.

We make a sort of dump cake but never use pineapple.
I put the cherry filling in a pan and cover with half a box of cake mix and then the butter and bake until bubbly and golden.
It is yummy and easy.
When we were first married, someone made this for us and called it "cherry crisp" so that is what we call it, even though now I know it is dump cake, LOL.

MomtoJGJ
01-20-2009, 06:32 AM
I use the crock pot.... put the pie filling, yellow cake mix (chocolate is also good, but very rich) and butter on top and put it on low until the top looks wet.

We call it cherry junk. :)

Mama Calidad
01-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Put it in the bottom of a baking dish. Take a package of brownie mix and mix according to the directions on the package. Pour that on top of the cherries and bake. :yum

Or you can serve the canned filling as a side with ham.

AngelaVA
01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Here's an unusual one, but it's actually really good. Make cherry dessert pizza. Roll out pizza crust, cover with pie filling, and top with mozzarella. It sounds totally weird, but it is a really good dessert if you are having a pizza night.

kiloyd
01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Here's an unusual one, but it's actually really good. Make cherry dessert pizza. Roll out pizza crust, cover with pie filling, and top with mozzarella. It sounds totally weird, but it is a really good dessert if you are having a pizza night.

That does sound weird with the cheese.

I looked in my pantry and I do have a can of pineapple, it was hiding in the back. :)

CrunchySeaSalt
01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Get angel food cake fill the center with warm pie filling, *frost* with whipped cream

kiloyd
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
This is a super-easy cherry cobbler my MIL makes that everyone loves.

Melt 1 stick butter in round or oval casserole dish (or similar oven proof dish)
Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 cup milk in bowl until well blended.
Gently pour into melted butter. Don't stir.
Add one can of cherry pie filling (or other fruit filling) by gently pouring or spooning into the middle of the batter mixture. Again don't stir.
Cook at 350 for 30 - 45 minutes depending on your oven.

It all switches around as it bakes; the batter rises and the fruit sinks and it is soooo yummy. You can serve it warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, although DH's family eats it as is.

:yum

I made this one. It was good, I didn't have any whipped cream of ice cream. the next day I ate it cold and I liked it better that way. Thanks!

Jenjardin
01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Glad you liked it!