PDA

View Full Version : coffee grounds for mulch....

cobluegirl
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
We go through tons of coffee at my house. I was thinking that I could add it to the dirt when it comes to gardening..however we have a few months before anything is thawed enough.. but I want to start saving it now..

how do I save it w/o it molding?

April G
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Why can't you just put it out now, and put some leaves or grass mulch over it... That's what I do... :grin

cobluegirl
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
we are under a foot of snow.....

ArmsOfLove
01-18-2009, 06:51 PM
can you put it in a pile near or at the corner of the garden? It seems the snow would keep it from molding :shrug

April G
01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Did a hole and cover with snow? :shifty

April G
01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
You should have seen our compost "pile" after the snow melted... :giggle We were dumping then covering in snow. It was pretty... ummm... GROSS. But... I just put my gum boots on, stomped it down, and covered it in leaves, and it's doing very well now. :tu

cobluegirl
01-18-2009, 06:56 PM
oh well..I guess I could do that...LOL I was thinking about getting a 5 gallon bucket and just storing them in the bucket on the porch.. the temps are pretty cold...

April G
01-18-2009, 06:58 PM
That would work... and I really wouldn't worry about mold... it's going to go that way in the compost anyways. :wink

cobluegirl
01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I suppose that is true too...LOL can you tell I have never mulched before.... I could be saving potato peels, and apples too etc.. huh?

ArmsOfLove
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
yep :yes

dh is starting our garden in the backyard in the month or so to come and I just today started giving him the potato peels and cabbage shreds from dinner prep :P

cobluegirl
01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I will have access again to papa's green house I think...so some things I will do in there in the raised beds.. last year I did carrots, onions, tomatoes, pumpkins, zuchini, and squash, ...the vining plants got sick...they had nasty stuff on the leaves and the fruit was weird..on some plants.

I want to do some stuff outside too but likely won't be able to put anything in the ground till April/May

canadiyank
01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Coffee grounds alone as a mulch isn't the best. There's certain plans (roses) that you can do a little bit to that, but I would compost them instead and then use that. We have compost barrels already so I just dump my stuff on that all winter and it doesn't compost but that's ok (there are techniques to help it compost through the winter but I don't care that much). I'd probably just throw it in a pile somewhere, even on top of the snow, and deal with it later. :)

cobluegirl
01-19-2009, 12:01 PM
ah ok. thanks.