PDA

View Full Version : I'm planning a garden!

Garland
01-18-2009, 05:47 PM
We had a sunny day today which made me excited as I look forward to Spring. It inspired me to make some gardening plans. I want to have a bigger garden this year and grow some food.

I am going to start some seeds indoors in a few weeks!

Here are some of the things I'm planning to grow in my yard this year:
-Blueberries
-Raspberries
-Strawberries
-Apples
-Cherry Tomatoes
-Slicing Tomatoes
-Snap Peas
-Green Beans
-Broccoli
-Onions
-Potatoes
-Orange and Purple Carrots
-Beets
-Spinach
-Variety of Salad
-Sweet Corn
-Sunflowers

and maybe more.....that's my list so far (in addition to the small dwarf trees we already have: plums, pears, and apples)

Anyone else looking forward to gardening this year? And if so....what are your favorite things to grow? :smile

cobluegirl
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I wanna come eat at your house...LOL

Hermana Linda
01-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I have some seedlings in pots outside. The weather's been great, I uncovered them. Now they're drying out and need to be watered everyday. :doh I really need to rip out the old plants to get ready to plant cold weather crops because it's way too hot for things like spinach in the summer.

canadiyank
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm a ways away from planting but I'm having fun thinking of things. I also need to get out and clean some stuff up.

April G
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Me too!!! DH and I were out walking our property the other day talking about what we're going to do in our garden... Here's what i want to plant:

-Strawberries
-roma Tomatoes
-Slicing Tomatoes
-Snap Peas
-Green Beans
-Broccoli
-cauliflower
-Onions
-garlic
-potatoes
-carrots
-beets
-spinach
-cucumber
-pumpkin
-variety of squash
-Variety of lettuces
-artichokes
-bok choy
-Sunflowers
-garlic
-hot peppers
-herbs: basil, oregano, parsley, chives, rosemary, mint, and a bunch of others I can't remember right now
-cherry tree

We have mature apple trees on our property (4 I think?), but we rent, so not sure we'll be allowed to pick them or not, as the landlords have laid claim to them... :/

We are doing two gardens, one that is really sunny and fenced in so the deer can't get in... the other is a kitchen garden, partial shade during the day, and will be mostly lettuce and herbs and aromatic flowers (lavender, etc).

We are trying a new method of composting this year too, doing a lasagna garden. We started the new fenced in bed in the fall and have been layering leaves, kitchen compost, and will be getting a load of manure as well. I plan to start seedlings inside in March or April... need to ask around about the best time to start them... :shrug Once the seedlings are looking ready, I will just plant them in the composting layers. It's highly experimental, but it's supposed to make for great growing and no weeding... I'm lovin' me some low maintenance gardens... :giggle

Hermana Linda
01-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Sounds interesting, April. I would think that low maintenance would be the way to go, with that large of a garden.

Garland
01-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I like low maintenance too. I want to look into the lasagna method as well. :tu

Rea T
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I was planning my garden the other day when it was -25. I figured I needed something to remind me summer is coming!

My garden is not huge, but here are my plans:

Tomatoes (I want to get about 3 varieties)
Carrots
Onions
Lettuce & spinach
Cucumbers
Colored peppers
Pole beans
Peas
Squash
Zucchini

I am trying to figure out how to grow things vertically to make more room. The pole beans are going on a tee-pee interplanted with morning glories. I think I am going to try trellising the cucumbers to make more room for the peppers. I'd like to plant the peas around the edge (we have chicken wire around) but I'm not sure if the rabbits will be able to nibble them through the wire.

April G
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1999-04-01/Lasagna-Gardening.aspx

Here's a very thorough explanation of how lasagna gardening works from Mother Earth News. :tu

Rea T
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Ooh, forgot to add that I'm hoping to start a strawberry bed this year.