PDA

View Full Version : Lego Organization

charla
01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I tried to send this message earlier but I don't see it and can't find it in my posting stats either so hopefully I'm not duplicating.

How do you organize legos? Do you keep each set separate in it's original box or do you mix the sets all together maybe organizing by type of brick? If you put them all together, what kind of container do you use? Are your children able to put together the original intended piece with all of the sets mixed up together or do they find it frustrating to find the pieces they need? How do you store/organize the original instructions?

AdrienneQW
01-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Dexter is just now getting into kits. We keep each kit in a gallon-size ziploc bag with the instructions inside. When he wants to work on it, he dumps it out on his Lego table and goes to town. What he does NOT do is have more than one kit out at a time... that would confuse the process.

All the bagged kits are kept in a canvas storage bin. It's working so far, but I'm sure we'll have to re-think/expand as he continues to get deeper into the Lego thing.

mommyTay
01-17-2009, 06:59 AM
my son usually puts the original together once than they all get mixed together. I put all the instructions or cut the picture from the original boxes and put them in page protectors in a binder. Occassionally they look through it and build something similar to the original kits. More often, they let their imaginations go wild and build the inspiration of the moment.

We have a tall iris cart (I think that is what it is called). We started out organizing different style/size blocks into certain drawers. I am just happy they get back into drawers and all over the floor and house.

hey mommy
01-17-2009, 09:25 AM
We put the kits together as soon as we get them, and that lasts all of, a week, maybe. When they come apart, they join the big plastic box of legos under the bed. yeah. I bought one of those long under-the-bed storage boxes w/a lid, and all the legos go in there. he builds better, more creative stuff anyway, so he doesn't care if the kits stay together.

I found the long box was easier b/c he could dig through it better. When we had the smaller, deep boxes, he would have to dump them out to find what he wanted.

RiverRock
01-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Janice, the underbed boxes are a brilliant idea! I have tried a few different approaches, but nothing has worked well for us, yet. The big shallow containers could be our answer to keeping the Lego off the carpet. Adrienne's use of Ziplocs is how we store our puzzles. I can totally see this working well for a child who doesn't want to mix sets.

ServingGod
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah...we used to try keeping the seperate with instructions...but I have kids who like to make lots of creations, and we have a BAZILLION legos. So now, all legos go in one big bin, and go BACK in that bin when they are done.

Apple-Saucy
01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
My DH is a AFOL (Adult Fan of Lego)

He has a table downstairs with an entire city set up on it, and another "building' table. We have tall 4-5 drawer tower bins that we keep parts and peices in. generally they are sorted into zip log bags or smaller plastic boxes wheels, head lights, weapons etc. that way everything is easy to find. Blocks are kept all together but the specialty peices are sorted out.

hey mommy
01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I would love to have a table that he can build on, but there is no room. :( We need a bigger house...

Marielle
01-22-2009, 05:59 AM
I've had my eye on this for when the boys start getting into legos vs duplos. I think the sorting aspect is brilliant.

http://www.box4blox.com/

hey mommy
01-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I've had my eye on this for when the boys start getting into legos vs duplos. I think the sorting aspect is brilliant.

http://www.box4blox.com/

OOh, that is pretty cool.. We'd need at least 3 or 4 of them for all of our legos though.

DoulaClara
01-22-2009, 10:05 AM

He has a table downstairs with an entire city set up on it, and another "building' table. We have tall 4-5 drawer tower bins that we keep parts and peices in. generally they are sorted into zip log bags or smaller plastic boxes wheels, head lights, weapons etc. that way everything is easy to find. Blocks are kept all together but the specialty peices are sorted out.

:jawdrop So cool! I think my DH would be in heaven with that kind of arrangement!

cobluegirl
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
my ds just keeps his all together... or all built..and then when he decides to take them apart they all go into the same box..

me
01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
phlaaaa lost my post...
we also use an under the bed container. I got his from walmart. it has wheels and can be opened on either side or the entire lid removed.

its flat enough to find things without digging or dumping and large enough that you can put several boxes inside to seperate things if wanted.

he also uses the lid as a table sometimes.

anything is fine with me so long as i dont step on them at night :giggle

Apple-Saucy
01-22-2009, 08:33 PM

:jawdrop So cool! I think my DH would be in heaven with that kind of arrangement!

The boys certainly like it ;)

Happygrl
01-22-2009, 08:38 PM
When I was little, I had a couple of those tool organizers for nails, etc.--the plastic container that has like 4-5 rows of little drawers. I could organize by colors, size, etc. I LOVED it! The drawers held quite a bit but it'd be a pain to have several of those if your lego collection is really large.

Heather Micaela
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Mt ds builds his kits before the wrapping paper is all the way off the box. Then he displays them for eternity on his shelf. The rest are all mixed together, but duplos and legos are separate. (Ds likes to mix genres)

No help but I wanted to be included :giggle And I have GOT to get that lego sorter.

ETA - if that box is made in the USA why does the announcer have an accent?

Mert
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I put all the instructions or cut the picture from the original boxes and put them in page protectors in a binder.

That's what I just started doing... at the moment I'm the only creative force in duploland so I figured I better keep the pics just in case.