PDA

View Full Version : quick deco help needed ... re: bookshelf spacing!

joystrength
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I have a long wall (maybe 10 ft long) and two bookshelves to place against it. The shelves are 38 '' wide by 5.5 ft tall (about). SOO, do I place them adjacent or do I evenly space them (even space between and on each side of them)?

This is in our dining room. Yes, we have bookshelves in our dining room. One wall opens to the kitchen. One wall opens to the breakfast "nook" (which is really our homeschool area) and the other wall is a bay window.

Suggestions?

charla
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm torn - I can see it both ways. I kinda like the idea of together because then they won't seem like they are floating in the room or disjointed. But on the other hand, it might be nice to space them evenly and have some kind of eye-catching art in the middle and maybe a bench unless you have already have a bench built into the bay window - then it might be too much. :shrug Can you try it both ways to see which you like best?

klpmommy
01-17-2009, 06:00 AM
how much space would be between them? Often that ends up just being wasted space & too small to get a vacuum or broom into to clean. So if there isn't much space then I would put them together. If there is enough space to do something b/w them (a nice chair, a low table, a picture, etc) then I might put them apart.

joystrength
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I ended up putting them about 15 inches apart.
It works well with the clock that's above them.

They're next to our dining room table, so a chair wouldn't work in our room (not wide enough).

They may get moved again (we're in major re-arrange mode right now. HA!)

Thanks for the replies, mamas.