PDA

View Full Version : avoiding plastic in the kitchen

mommylove
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm trying to shift my kitchen away from plastic. Regarding food storage containers, which should I choose -- all glass like these http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=14885463 which are sooooo expensive, or these, which have plastic lids http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=14283560 but are more affordable? If the food isn't touching the plastic lid, it's better, right? Am I understanding correctly that it's direct contact that causes stuff to leach into food?

shirelingmum
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
i think iirc yah if it's just the lid and it's a number 5 plastic u should be fine! i have all glass ones from ikea and ove them! dnno if they still make them but they are stackable and come in several sizes!

sprout
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
most of our glass containers came from WalMart. They are holding up well.

afternoonrain
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
HAHA! I'd love to try this, although I might end up spending a fortune between daughter and husband breaking them...

2sunshines
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
My glass containers mostly have plastic lids. But like you said food doesn't touch the lids so I'm not concerned.

Hermana Linda
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
My dh wants to eliminate plastic from the kitchen. I'm worried. I hate breakables in the fridge, they always seem to fall out. And I have so much money invested in Tupperware. :sigh

Drew
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I have the Pyrex bowls shown in your second link and really like them. I've dropped them and banged them around a bit and never had any crack or break. Not saying that they are invincible but definitely not fragile either.

mommylove
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
UPDATE:
I went to BB&B this weekend with my gift card in hand. :rockon I was surprised & disappointed to see that both sets have plastic lids. I had searched on the internet for all glass ones, and could only find one set (Anchor Hocking, in case anyone's interested) with glass lids, and they just sit on top. Ikea didn't have any -- they must not carry them anymore. :( I think I need a seal, so I opted for the Pyrex, since it's oven safe & the other was not. Plus, I needed to use the gift card & BB&B doesn't carry the Anchor Hocking ones.

It felt great to empty out (almost) all of my plasticware & replace with glass . . . although with plastic lids, I almost felt like I was defeating the purpose. Baby steps, I guess. Next up: glass juice pitcher. :cool

And I have so much money invested in Tupperware. :sigh

I'll admit, the Tupperware I've bought with my own money is what I kept, I wasn't ready to Goodwill that yet. I'm concerned about breaking the glass, too. We have ceramic tile counters & floor, which has zero give. My DH is taking the glass containers to work. I'm skeptical that'll go well, but the thought of him nuking his leftovers in plastic turns my stomach.

Lady TS
01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I got our juice pitcher from Brylane Home. I'm not overly thrilled with the lid, but at least it has one!

Hermana Linda
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh, we don't heat up anything in plastic anymore. I only use plastic for storage. Dh wants to avoid that.

mommylove
01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I got our juice pitcher from Brylane Home. I'm not overly thrilled with the lid, but at least it has one!

Yeah, I think a lid on a juice pitcher is a must.

Oh, we don't heat up anything in plastic anymore. I only use plastic for storage. Dh wants to avoid that.

DH isn't as concerned about it as I am, so to get him to quit nuking his lunch in plastic at work, I pretty much have to get rid of the plastic. Since the Pyrex is oven-safe, my plan is to get better about reheating in the toaster oven at home.

Rabbit
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I got a glass juice pitcher from Walmart for cheap.

I like the plastic lids on the pyrex because it cushions the edges, and allows for stacking. The food doesn't touch the lid, so it doesn't bother me at all.

The majority of our glass storage comes in the form of recycled jars from other foods. The metal lids are coated in plastic, but I make sure never to fill them all the way to do the top, so that the food never touches.

cindergretta
01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
We are converting, too. :yes Now to get rid of all those sippy cups. :/ I need to replace them with stainless steel- Klean Kanteens or the like. I just can't quite picture my smaller set with glasses in their hands... :nails :paranoid I don't care about breaking, per se, but about their hands getting cut if they break in their hands, kwim?

We have Pyrex. :tu

What about Corelle? Is that safe?

Hermana Linda
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
AFAIK, Corelle is great.

Rabbit
01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Corelle is safe. They have two different types of materials, though. Some of it is a special kind of glass, and some of it is stoneware. Typically, plates and whatnot are glass, and the servingware is stoneware.

Mert
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
We have had several pieces of shattering corelle, but I think it is safe against our food and stil use it to reheat in the microwave.

We use Pyrex and recycled glass jars as mentioned by pps. I agree that the pyrex is pretty sturdy... dh takes it for lunch each day, and we've stacked and restacked in the . We've dropped it plenty... just some small chips around the edges.

Also, thanks for the link to the glass snapware... I've been looking for a large container in which to store dough. :grin

knitlove
01-19-2009, 05:11 PM
you might also want to look at antique and resale shops. I have a Pyrex refrigerator set from the 40's, that I love. The glass lids do just sit on but they stack amazingly well.

As fare as DH taking things to lunch is glass the only problem I have had is DH not taking the plastic lid off and melting it slightly so that it won't fit. :/