PDA

View Full Version : tiny black flies?

Lavender Lily
01-12-2009, 07:51 AM
how do I get rid of them and why are they here?

klpmommy
01-12-2009, 07:55 AM
sounds like fruit flies. Put a shallow layer of apple cider vinegar in a bowl & add a drop of dish detergent. The acv will attract them & the soap will break the surface tension so that they drown.

brandi
01-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Most likely they are fruit flies. I get them whenever the trash has been sitting too long :shifty :bag

To get ride of them, you can fill a cup with some alcohol and apple juice and cover the top with plastic wrap. poke little holes in the top so they can get in, but they won't be able to get out.

ladybug
01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Do you have houseplants?
Sometimes that happens with mine.
OR do you have a bowl of fruit--like bananas sitting out on the table?
If so that could be the cause too.
What I would do, is put out a little bowl filled with vinegar, and put a teensy lil bit of the soap you wash your dishes with in it, and set it out near where you have seen them, and they will go to the bowl and drink and then die and fall into it!!
GL!

Lavender Lily
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I used to buy bananas but then everyone stopped eating them so I stopped buying them. I thought they would go after that but they haven't. I do still buy apples. And I do have houseplants.
The trash is emptied everyday. They seem to be everywhere though, there really isn't a place that they all hang out at. :scratch

brandi
01-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I think mine like to hang out in the kitchen sink drain. Try pouring some vinegar and backing soda down your drain and see if that doesn't help. (or you could always use bleach :shifty)

klpmommy
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
once you have them they find other places to hang out, the drain is a biggie. Put out a trap like one of the ones suggested (my fav is the one I posted of course ;) ) and go from there. You may need to put out traps for more than a day or two to get rid of them all, but usually I have good luck that once they are gone, they are gone, unlike other pests that are harder to get rid of.

charla
01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I did the vinegar in the drain in my kitchen sink and it got rid of the fruit flies for me.