PDA

View Full Version : decluttering??

Lavender Lily
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
what does this mean to you?
dh and I had a discussion about is and he thinks not everyone sees it the way I do. Decluttering to me means.....things get tossed. These are things that are just sitting there that haven't been touched in who knows how long. If its sentimental then it will be put away or I will get a bin to store them. But anything else will be tossed. This includes clothes, I store kids clothes that don't fit for the next gender child or store due to seasons. I toss clothes of mine that either don't fit or I know I haven't worn in a while. It sort of leaves me with hardly anything but at least I have room for more. :shifty
When it comes to toys that never get played with: if they're broken or have missing pieces I toss. If they're in good condition and can be passed down to the next child I will put away in storage bins we have in our shed. From there we usually go through them and toss some if it gets too full. Some will be donated.
Dh says I'm "Throw away happy."
I get this from my mom I guess. I remember days that she would come into our rooms and announce "Today we are getting rid of stuff, so get trash bags and toss whatever you aren't using or don't need." She meant it and we had to do it.

joyful mama
01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
i donate to the va or sa, give to someonw who might use it (for example I have a box for my sister and a bag for moms at playgroup) ... I only toss if its broken, unmendable, or ruined ... :shrug

Amythestmama
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
:O Decluttering to me means that I rearrange the clutter into new and hopefully better places. :giggle I do sort out toys that the kids played with as infants and they are stored in totes, I donate clothes and toys that I know we will not use again. I store clothes that we will use or that I can use to send to others later. My clutter is mostly fabric from my great attempt to sew things to sell but that hasn't taken off like I'd hoped. I don't move it b/c I feel like a failure having spent the $$$ on the supplies and now I can't sell the end product. :doh

Lavender Lily
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
:O Decluttering to me means that I rearrange the clutter into new and hopefully better places. :giggle I do sort out toys that the kids played with as infants and they are stored in totes, I donate clothes and toys that I know we will not use again. I store clothes that we will use or that I can use to send to others later. My clutter is mostly fabric from my great attempt to sew things to sell but that hasn't taken off like I'd hoped. I don't move it b/c I feel like a failure having spent the $$$ on the supplies and now I can't sell the end product. :doh

:giggle I hear you, I have yarn that I can't for the life of me, figure out why I bought. I feel bad tossing them b/c I spent the whole $2.00 on. :giggle

charla
01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I think of decluttering in two different ways - 1. getting rid of stuff that we don't use/need
2. making a particular space uncluttered which may or may not mean getting rid of anything ie. I declutter my floor by putting the toys away in their appropriate bins or declutter my desk drawer by organizing like items in an organizer, etc.

Maybe I'm getting concepts confused: declutter, unclutter and re-organizing. :shrug

sprout
01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
to me it means minimizing