PDA

View Full Version : DECLUTTER CHALLENGE: 2009 items in 2009!

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 04:20 AM
How it works: When you declutter something - whether it's just one item or a whole closet-worth of junk - come to this thread & make a new post to tell us what you got rid of (as specific or unspecific as you'd like) and keep a running total of how many things you've tossed, donated, sold or freecycled this year :D

The overall goal is 2009 items but if you want to make a goal that's larger or smaller than that - or even if you don't want to keep count & just want to laugh at the crazy things we've been keeping in our kitchen cupboards - that's fine, you can play along too! :heart

When you reach your goal, you get your name here, for everyone to see...

:dance 2009 WINNERS :dance

Ready, Set, Declutter!!! :cheer

*edited by Jodi to sticky ;) *

JoyGal
01-07-2009, 04:39 AM
:woo

4 - Went through some magazines and tossed them
8 - Went through the pantry and tossed a few expired/stale foods

________
12 Total

(oh man I have a long way to go!!)

Mashena
01-07-2009, 04:47 AM
ooh. what a cool idea!

going through the closet:

2 - sold two pieces of old clothing I never wore
4 - turned old t-shirts into rags (does that count?)

__

klpmommy
01-07-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm in!!! But I am not counting items this year, I just want "company" and congratulations for the work I do. :)

Major goals: garage & basement storage area, both of which need to wait for warmer weather. Lots of smaller in the house areas I can work on however. :)

TraceMama
01-07-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm in!!! :woohoo I might just be listing items and areas too, since I tend to lose track and like to just toss without counting it. ;)

Major areas: basement storage and all those boxes that haven't been opened since our move. :O

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Tracey, you gotta tell me, how long has it been for those "boxes that haven't been opened since our move" ??? Mine have been sitting in the basement for 3.5 years :shifty

Anyway, I got this in my email this morning & wanted to share it - it's so appropriate for starting this today :D
One of the most satisfying aspects of our humanness is sharing ourselves with others. Our spirits find fulfillment when we connect in meaningful ways with family, friends, and others. But when we are ashamed about our clutter, we isolate ourselves both as individuals and in our homes.

When our lives clear up, we are happily able to open up in a new way. That renewed connectedness is one of the wonderful spin-offs of the changes we make

My count:
2 sweaters into my Donation Station box (which is full & needs to be taken to the SVdP store)

joyful mama
01-07-2009, 07:21 AM
im in :heart

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm in!!! But I am not counting items this year, I just want "company" and congratulations for the work I do. :)

Major goals: garage & basement storage area, both of which need to wait for warmer weather. Lots of smaller in the house areas I can work on however. :)

im in :heart

Watch out girls, Jen & Kimberly are ruthless in this challenge ;)

ViolaMum
01-07-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm in! We're still on Christmas vacation visiting my parents, though, so I can't start until next week.
First thing on my list is the corner cabinet in the kitchen. It's so scary I don't even open it. :jawdrop

TrinMama
01-07-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm in again...LOL...I have a lot downstairs. This should motivate me to get it out of here and donated!

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 07:54 AM
:welcome Darcy, and Yay Gina! :heart

hey mommy
01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm in, just not today... my poor achy head.

RiverRock
01-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm in! :yes

I'm a little :ph this morning because I had planned on taking boxes to the thrift store today, but those boxes were stored in our now flooded crawl space. :/ I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to rewash some of the items or just trash them.

Last night I did give a large shopping bag full of outgrown girl clothes to my SIL. :tu

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
2+3pcs ugly snowman winter decorations = 5 :D

rstump
01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
:nak2 :rockon

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
OH!!! I wanted to add that I think we should also count "virtual" clutter too, which is often just as stressful as real junk in our homes. So for every bookmark you delete (b/c you know you'll never need that resource anyway & you definitely don't need another website to check daily ;) ) and for every put-off email reply you send & then delete the original, count a point! :yes

charla
01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Okay, I'm thinking about joining in...I guess I should...I don't want to though...but I need to...it would be good for me... :shifty

celestial princess
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I wanna do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I can't right this second. subbing

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Charlaaaaaaaaaa :poke :poke :poke It won't hurt ;)

joyful mama
01-07-2009, 11:19 AM
1 large pile of papers from craft/schooling area

joyful mama
01-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Watch out girls, Jen & Kimberly are ruthless in this challenge wink :giggle i definitely want to hit 2009 this year, it was cool to hit 2008 last year.... and beyond! altho its kind of sad that after decluttering 2008 items i'd need to declutter 2009 in 2009 :shifty

ill ask jodi to make this a sticky :yes

light of mine
01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Just in case anybody is as anal as me...you would have to throw away at least 5.5 items every day :) *scampers off to find my 5*

klpmommy
01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Watch out girls, Jen & Kimberly are ruthless in this challenge wink :giggle i definitely want to hit 2009 this year, it was cool to hit 2008 last year.... and beyond! altho its kind of sad that after decluttering 2008 items i'd need to declutter 2009 in 2009 :shifty

I hear you!!! And I decluttered more than 2008 last year. :sigh It is amazing how much *stuff* we have.

And, btw, some of our boxes in the garage were boxes in our garage when we lived in TX- we have lived in MI for almost 7 years.

amstermarie
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
i did allot today. w/ the fear of cps droping by at any min it also clean clean clean..
they said our house was ok, but had a gripe w/ the clothes piles :blush.. so quite a bit of that is GONE. . :clap
( i had allot of hamedy downs) i moved adam out of 2t into 3 t, ( a little early, but it looks ok on him :yes) so all the 2's are in a bag awaiting my sister. i folded all the clothes. we got a new dresser, and i sorted threw away old holey clothes. and then picked and choose till each boy had a draw full and sent the rest to good will.. i still ahve a few laundy left to wash and i know there are some 2T in there.
i bagged all baby girl clothes from 0-6 months.. but. i don't have it in my heart to get rid of them yet.. the next big challenge is my clothes.i need to declutter them. i have a bad habit of keeping everyting thinking o ill fit that again.. :blush

charla
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Raspberries
01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm in!

TrinMama
01-07-2009, 02:27 PM
3 bags shredded mail. 1 pile recycling+4 plastic bottles. two worn out dress-up things.

10 so far.

charla
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm counting items I've gotten rid of since January 1.

21 items - videos and toys

joyful mama
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
1 + 11 craft and bday stuff = 12 + 16 clothes to give to my sister

=28

Teribear
01-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm in. I did a major decluttering the first few days of the year already so I'm going to start out with 25 (which believe me is conservative...I filled up two of those HUGE green city trash cans and had three bags out side it still) and count from here.

joyful mama
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
1 + 11 craft and bday stuff = 12 + 16 clothes to give to my sister

=28
+ 37 clothing to donate, sell, give away

=65

+ 21 toys, misc. some trashed, the rest in a donation pile

=86 nice start i'd say!

Codi
01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Im in!!!! :rockon How exciting!!!

Is there a list of "what counts" somewhere? :)

Quiteria
01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
signing in...

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Anything counts! :D Any item that leaves your house counts as "decluttered" whether that means it was trashed, donated, freecycled or sold. Loaning an item does NOT count b/c it's going to come back to you ;) We're talking permanent removal here.

I'm also taking the executive power inherent in any challenge czar & I say that virtual clutter - unvisited bookmarks & emails you're avoiding - also count as decluttered items once they are dealt with and/or deleted :yes

Codi
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Anything counts! :D Any item that leaves your house counts as "decluttered" whether that means it was trashed, donated, freecycled or sold. Loaning an item does NOT count b/c it's going to come back to you ;) We're talking permanent removal here.

I'm also taking the executive power inherent in any challenge czar & I say that virtual clutter - unvisited bookmarks & emails you're avoiding - also count as decluttered items once they are dealt with and/or deleted :yes

Awesome! This is going to be great!!!

But I have like 100 emails I have been avoiding and can probably delete half of them. That doesn't really count, does it?

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM

But I have like 100 emails I have been avoiding and can probably delete half of them. That doesn't really count, does it?

I was mostly thinking of the kind of emails that you have to reply to, or that are forcing you to do another task - like, someone asked you a question & you have to look up the answer online, or you got a late notice from your library so now you have to find that lost book & go pay your fine. IOW, emails that are serving more as reminders than messages - make sense? Something like that. If you're just being lazy about deleting newsletters, I dunno ;)

Codi
01-07-2009, 07:30 PM

I was mostly thinking of the kind of emails that you have to reply to, or that are forcing you to do another task - like, someone asked you a question & you have to look up the answer online, or you got a late notice from your library so now you have to find that lost book & go pay your fine. IOW, emails that are serving more as reminders than messages - make sense? Something like that. If you're just being lazy about deleting newsletters, I dunno ;)

:spit :laughtears I am so being lazy about news letters!!! LOL

KatieMae
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
See? We all have the same problems! :lol :cool I'm totally inside y'all's brains :P~ :giggle

Codi
01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
See? We all have the same problems! :lol :cool I'm totally inside y'all's brains :P~ :giggle

:giggle

Grover
01-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Great idea
I have a bag full of clothes about to be recycled-I will count them and post back later-Okay it was 25 items of clothing off to be recycled Yay
One bag of craft items de cluttered
Total for 8th Jan =26- so thats 1981 to go right

klpmommy
01-08-2009, 09:20 AM
today I started shreding 2007 important papers. And found the dog rabies vax paperwork in the process. :woohoo It will take a few more days to get it all done, but :woohoo , it feels good to get it started!!!!! (I will keep 2008 papers through the year 2009, this is a compromise b/w dh & I who would still keep his important papers from 1992 if I let him.)

Firebird Rising
01-08-2009, 10:35 AM
i'm in, but I need to leave the house right now so I can't record my goods so far :)

Jen D.

TrinMama
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
10 + 10 more to recycling= 20 + 4 boxes out to trash/recycling= 24

charla
01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
[quote=charla ]
+1 threw away breastpump that is about 10 years old and doesn't work

22 total

joyful mama
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
kimberly :rockon

+17 papers, magazines
3 stuff from medicine cabinet
2 toys

=108

monkeylicious
01-09-2009, 06:22 AM
yes, i've been ignoring this thread :shifty but i finally opened it and saw that at least one other person is not counting items. i can do that. so, i am officially in!

so far this year i have:
thrown out a bunch of kid's meals type toys or other little things like that
have a box with at least 10 stuffed animals in it (to leave the house!)

Codi
01-09-2009, 11:40 AM
yes, i've been ignoring this thread :shifty but i finally opened it and saw that at least one other person is not counting items. i can do that. so, i am officially in!

so far this year i have:
thrown out a bunch of kid's meals type toys or other little things like that
have a box with at least 10 stuffed animals in it (to leave the house!)

:shifty

All our stuff is not unpacked yet. (we JUST moved) but you better believe that in a day or two....maybe even today, you are gonna see some great numbers from me! :yes

I told dh about the challenge and he said, WE DONT EVEN OWN 2009 THINGS!!!"

joyful mama
01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
108 +
1 lg pile papers, 3 clothes, 2 toys, 3 dipes

RiverRock
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
So far I've gotten rid of:

1 bag of girls clothes
two boxes household clutter
1 bag of boys clothes
1 bag of baby blankets
1 twin "bed in a bag" set
1 pile of boxes (about 4) that had been set aside for collections
1 baby bathtub
1 large Christmas decoration that I didn't like

It's a good start and my goal will be one major item or box of stuff a week. I'm sure it would add up to 2009 if I took the time to count. ;)

klpmommy
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I got a few things out of the house today by giving them to a fellow GCMer, some homeschool stuff that I am not going to use. :) So two days of decluttering. :rockon

charla
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
21 items - videos and toys
+1 threw away breastpump that is about 10 years old and doesn't work
22 total

+ 4 toys
26 total

Codi
01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Ok, here it is...I did great today! I gave a few of these things this week, but a lot of it was today.

100 baby clothes
4 pans
5 cooking utensils
3 plates
1 desk
1 rolling desk chair
3 magazines
2 book dust jackets
51 cd's (and their covers)
1 caterpillar art project
13 shot glasses
1 coffee pot
1 reusable razor (dunno why I have been keeping it)
1 measuring spoon

187 TOTAL

Codi
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
187 TOTAL

15 children's books

202 TOTAL

joystrength
01-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I decluttered my Christmas decorations to three bins from four. WHY I kept some of the "bye" stuff ... I don''t know!

The "donation" box is growing! GROWING!! :cool

Mashena
01-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I give up on counting too, I just keep forgetting to do it and t hen I don't know how to count. (1 piece of paper or 1 stack of papers? hmmm... :think)

But today I pulled everything out of the pantry, cleaned the shelves, discarded extra packaging and expired foods, and am in the process of putting everything back in their in an orderly fashion. Productive!

mom2_AthruZ
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm in: :yes

I have a trunk full of items heading to good will tomorrow. Not sure how many items there are. I can probably count and add that total later. :)

Today:

1 old curling iron
1 old encyclopedia
1 glass baby Jesus

Total:3

KatieMae
01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
:jump2 JoAnn! :heart :heart :heart I haven't seen you in so long :hug

monkeylicious
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
gigi and i went through her play kitchen things - and though she doesn't really play with the pots/pans and dishes much of course she didn't want to get rid of stuff completely so we kept some but got rid of a plastic grocery bag full of stuff from there and now the bin isn't overflowing quite so badly - before putting the food back in there was impossible

and i've continued to toss fast food type toys when i come across them and several more stuffed animals have been moved to the donate box!

KatieMae
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I won't count this, but I helped my MIL declutter some of her craft stuff yesterday :woohoo It was fun to have someone to share it with. Maybe we should have local declutter buddies ;)

light of mine
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I have been avoiding this thread, 'cause I just haven't been able to find the time, but I am starting a new full-time job this week, and have to get rid of some this clutter to make cleaning easier. I am really planning to bare-bones it. Only necessary things are staying. I have a huge box of things already gathered up, but I am not going to count it until it is actually sent to the donation center. But since I work from my home computer last night I tayed up cleaning up some of my files.

+46 Document Files
+56 Bookmarks

+145 clothes
+27 books
+16 toys
+30 DVDs

GRAND TOTAL TODAY: 320 (wow that feels good)

Codi
01-12-2009, 05:22 PM
202 TOTAL

1 rag
3 kids jeans

206 Total

Iveyrock
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I think I'm in. I have a ton of stuff that needs to go. Does it count if it's been in boxes in the garage to BE decluttered, but hasn't actually made it off the property :shifty?

mom2_AthruZ
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
:jump2 JoAnn! :heart :heart :heart I haven't seen you in so long :hug

Aww thanks Katie that made my day!!

Total:3

4 gifts bags
2 tree ornaments
1 curtain set
1 Elmers paint set
1 box silicone bakeware---9pieces
1 pair of toddler shoes
1 room deco sign
2 pieces of toddler clothing
1 necklace
1 piece unfant clothing
1 piece of adult clothing
1 hair straightener
2 things of yarn
2 swatches of cloth
3 pair of mens jeans
1 p.j. shirt
3 plastic toys

Total today: 28

Running total:31

Grover
01-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Great idea
I have a bag full of clothes about to be recycled-I will count them and post back later-Okay it was 25 items of clothing off to be recycled Yay

Updating
I bag of craft items rehomes-disposed off
3 mittens -single mittens not pairs found and donated to the local singing group for their mitten song
Fridge cleaned out-does this count :shifty
Playdough tub cleaned out,thrwe out dry playdough,surplus lids and a playdough smoosher that had no fitting tools
One doll,one vest and one pair of babylegs re homed
Random things picked up in the garden=3
Empty chocolate selection box -cut the game off the back,played the game and then threw it in the bin
Beads -gone
shoes-broken -thrown
I broken pottty -gone
Rocks returned outside-Im not the only one whose sons bring home sticks,stones,leaves,shells etc am I?

I make that 17 this week :think :shifty-Could do better

43 DOWN ------1964 TO GO

More chocolate eaten-that counts right Boxes used for junk modelling and disposed off

Grover
01-13-2009, 07:39 AM
FORGOT SHORTS
44 DOWN 1965 TO GO

TraceMama
01-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Tracey, you gotta tell me, how long has it been for those "boxes that haven't been opened since our move" ??? Mine have been sitting in the basement for 3.5 years :shifty

Sorry, Katie, just seeing this. :bag My boxes have been sitting for 19 months. :blush Some of them have been opened and partially decluttered; some of them have been moved and shifted, but *all* of them need to be completely decluttered. :yes I'm just not sure what will happen to dh's boxes of memorabilia. :/

I'm not counting items, but I can report that I got rid of quite a few Christmas ornaments, old candles, pointless house decor, etc. when putting the Christmas stuff away (2 days ago :bag). I managed to shrink our Christmas storage from three to two bins! :yes

Garland
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Great challenge.....I don't know if I'll be able to count all the items, but I'm joining here to remind me regularly (as new posts come in) to keep on de-cluttering! :)

TrinMama
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I decided to stop counting. That drives me nuts. :bag However, I have probably 8 bags and boxes ready to donate! :rockon :rockon So when I get rid of things, I'll just let ya'll know what I got rid of. :giggle

joyful mama
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
108 +
1 lg pile papers, 3 clothes, 2 toys, 3 dipes

+24 random things... dried markers, papers, a broken toy

= 141

Grover
01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Great idea

Updating
I bag of craft items rehomes-disposed off
3 mittens -single mittens not pairs found and donated to the local singing group for their mitten song
Fridge cleaned out-does this count :shifty
Playdough tub cleaned out,thrwe out dry playdough,surplus lids and a playdough smoosher that had no fitting tools
One doll,one vest and one pair of babylegs re homed
Random things picked up in the garden=3
Empty chocolate selection box -cut the game off the back,played the game and then threw it in the bin
Beads -gone
shoes-broken -thrown
I broken pottty -gone
Rocks returned outside-Im not the only one whose sons bring home sticks,stones,leaves,shells etc am I?

I make that 17 this week :think :shifty-Could do better

44 DOWN ------1965 TO GO

More chocolate eaten-that counts right Boxes used for junk modelling and disposed off

Okay baby legs are OUTTA here,along with 3 soakers another doll
One trike donated to the church creche
One bin thats falling apart is no more
One money box,very nice gift to DS last year from a friend but has lost its stopper and hence useless-Gone
One mr potato head box,a very nice all beit broken souveneir or WDW is no more
One painted Rock -Gone
One mostly used finger puppet kit -GONE

Im being ruthless today
One junk model is Gone
Three broken christmas dec's GONE
I make that
58 down 1951 to go

klpmommy
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
another day of shredding. I probably need two more days to get it done. I don't want to break my shredder by putting too much through in a day.

joyful mama
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
141 + 50 old bookmarked sites
=191

1818 to go (thanks grover, like to look at it that way :rockon)

mom2_AthruZ
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
another day of shredding. I probably need two more days to get it done. I don't want to break my shredder by putting too much through in a day.

I did that and I really miss my shredder. :sigh I want one for the counter top next to the recycling bin.

charla
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
26 total

+3 emails that I finally answered

29 total - At this rate I'll never make 2009.

Benjaminswife
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Got rid of 2 bags of toys/books. So I am going to guess and say about....60 items?

Oh and I have to keep going through and getting rid of stuff. DH gets home in Nov and then we move by March and don't want to spend Nov-March doing it all.

Grover
01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
6 pieces of artwork-my kids.I loved them but with all these kids and the younest two being quite prolific I need to be ruthless
Three knex tubs -Gone Items rehomes in a biscuit tin
One hideous santa toy-Gone
One pair of DD shoes-outgrown-Gone
55 down 1954 to go

KatieMae
01-14-2009, 11:30 AM
5+
5 sewing patterns, 10 emails I really should have dealt with weeks ago

= 20 New total!

Calliope
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
1/14/09

7 magazine/catalogs
1 piece of "artwork"
3 articles of clothing
1 CD-ROM that I can't use because I lost the registration code :/
________

12 items

QUESTION: What's the difference between clutter and trash? Also, is it decluttering if you are just moving it out of your way and into storage? (Like taking down Christmas decorations? Or storing outgrown baby clothing?)

Grover
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
For me de cluttering means its no longer in my possesion,its gone forever.For others it might mean something else,but I am married to a hoarder,I have a couple of mini hoatders.I need to get ruthless and stop saving stuff-just in case.I was just watching How Clean Is your House and there was this man who could barely move in his house it was so full of clutter and he said as they filled a skip with his junk-"I honestly thought it would come in useful -One day" and that really was an eye opener for me .Not that im even in the same league but thats my thoughts too and then I often cant find it or just plain forgot I had it :O

98 emails deleted
8 pm 's deleted
106 together
NEW TOTAL 161 down 1848 to go

klpmommy
01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
1/14/09

7 magazine/catalogs
1 piece of "artwork"
3 articles of clothing
1 CD-ROM that I can't use because I lost the registration code :/
________

12 items

QUESTION: What's the difference between clutter and trash? Also, is it decluttering if you are just moving it out of your way and into storage? (Like taking down Christmas decorations? Or storing outgrown baby clothing?)

clutter can be trash that has been hanging at your house too long, but when I keep up w/ it, it is just trash. like if i daily go through my junk mail it is trash, but if i let it stack up for a few days it is clutter

moving it to storage is not decluttering, it has to get out of your house to count it as decluttering

hey mommy
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Oh, I guess I'm out, because I haven't done anything... Maybe next time.

klpmommy
01-14-2009, 02:10 PM

there are still quite a few days left in 2009 :)

KatieMae
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
20+
7 sweaters that have been hanging in my closet all season & never worn (or, worn for 30 seconds & then toss back into the closet b/c they look awful on me! :lol)
20 pcs of "memorabilia" from L&L's baby boxes that I really don't need to keep, so into the trash they go!

New total: 47

Grover
01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
one well used yankee candle -gone :( i love my yanke candles but this was used to the safety level
total 162 down 1847 to go

TraceMama
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Lots of toys put in the trash box to be moved out of the house on Sunday evening! :woohoo Other toys moved to a donate box to be moved out asap. :yes

I know they're not *technically* decluttered yet, but just having them in the appropriate spot and seeing space open up on my basement storage room floor is a great feeling! :O

Calliope
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
1/15/09

12 previous total

47 pieces of silverware (got new set for Christmas)
2 old magazines/catalogs
7 old day by day calendar pages
1 old day by day calendar back/stand
2 empty or expired medicine/vitamin bottles
1 broken touch lamp
27 expired coupons (2 from 2007, 1 from 2006 :O )
2 product inserts
4 random pieces of paper clutter
2 UPCs saved for something I can't remember
1 empty spice bottle

101 total as of today :rockon

Codi
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
206 Total

1 vhs
1 BOX papers (Does an entire box count as only 1??)
1 measuring cup
2 box knives
1 pic frame

211 TOTAL

charla
01-15-2009, 07:30 PM
+ 2 box from putting away Christmas stuff and one ornament

31 total

Grover
01-16-2009, 05:59 AM
One nappy -very sweet tiny newborn cloth nappy -given to an expectant friend.That one was a tough one to de clutter
3 pieces of school work -shhhh dont tell N
166 down 1843 to go

Calliope
01-16-2009, 10:48 AM
1/16/09

101 previous total

2 magazines/catalogs (man, I have a lot of those around here. :shifty)
3 expired coupons
1 invitation to an art show in 2005

107 total today (will be back to add more)

TrinMama
01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I unloaded 11 boxes and bags of donations to the Rescue Mission today. :rockon filled my minivan trunk!!

light of mine
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM

+56 items of baby clothes
+1 broken chair
+2 old textbooks from school
+4 scrapbook magazines

Grover
01-20-2009, 08:36 AM
166 down 1843 to go

130 items gone
made up video cases,videos,bits of paper,kids artwork,chirstmas decorations,old envelopes ,Dvd cases [.We bought a wallet for the DVD's to go into-the kids never put them back in the cases anyhow]
20 books went to be sold at a second hand shop
20books/magazines went to a the Oxfam bookshop

New total 299 down 1710 to go

klpmommy
01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I threw away a rusty spatula. :)

mom2_AthruZ
01-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Running total:31

3 pieces baby clothes
2 recieving blankets
1 plastic french fry
1 piece from a halloween costume
1 Deer hunting mag.
2 kids toys

10 total

41 running total

light of mine
01-20-2009, 10:56 AM

+1 broken chair
+4 scrapbook magazines

+956 old email messages (between personal and work accounts)
+7 old programs no longer needed for work
+ 1 Christmas ornament

I am starting a new job today working full time and and getting rid of so much stuff is helping me keep my house cleaner!!! I am so excited (but a little embarassed I have had this much stuff to get rid of :O)

Quiteria
01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I just got a paper shredder that a friend was decluttering :giggle I'm so excited....off to attack my old junk mail and bills with a vengenance.

:dance

KatieMae
01-20-2009, 01:02 PM
47 + 5 toys we really didn't need
New total: 52

Grover
01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
166 down 1843 to go

130 items gone
made up video cases,videos,bits of paper,kids artwork,chirstmas decorations,old envelopes ,Dvd cases [.We bought a wallet for the DVD's to go into-the kids never put them back in the cases anyhow]

23 magazine,catalogues and booklets -recycled
One spinner -gone back-the washing machine is working npw
Two plastic straws-Gone
One jar of beads-Gone
3 wooden spoon puppets
A stack of artwork
Todays total 31

KatieMae
01-22-2009, 10:50 AM
52 + 5 pom-poms from the dress up basket. Lilia doesn't play "cheerleader" - she'd rather play TACKLE!!!!!!!!!!!

New total: 57

mom2_AthruZ
01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
41 running total

14 books

55 running total. ;)

KatieMae
01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Your hair looks so cute JoAnn :kiss

Grover
01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

:yes

166 down 1843 to go

130 items gone

23 magazine,catalogues and booklets -recycled
One spinner -gone back-the washing machine is working npw
Two plastic straws-Gone
One jar of beads-Gone
3 wooden spoon puppets
A stack of artwork
Todays total 31

Okay one hideous snow globe that I usually move to the toilet room at christmas
One coat -broken
One broken bauble
two DVD cases
One broken tractor from the garden
One mini magnetic chess set-I m realy against magnets nor sucrely fixed in a toy
One stained ,well used,fraying cloth babywipe
8 STAINED/BROKEN 12 yo clothing items
One knitting needle-dont have the other one to make a pair
One well expired book of coupons
One leapster case
One croc-not a pair
One model of a fire-sorry N
school work papers
Todays total 22

Updated combine total 53

New total 352 DOWN 1657 TO GO

Garland
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Donating some toys we don't need anymore:
-train table
-plastic refrigerator
-plastic stove

I'm not keeping track of the number of items, but thought I'd post anyway and stay on the thread to keep reminding myself to continue de-cluttering.

mom2_AthruZ
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
41 running total

14 books

55 running total. ;)

3kids clothes
1 peek-a-block toy
12 peek-a-blocks
1 highschool musical backpack
1 babydoll car seat
1 advent calendar with pieces
---------------------------------------------
19 total

74 running total :)

WildOlive
01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
2 Burger King crowns. :shifty
2 magnetic white boards that kept sliding off the fridge
1 enormous plastic heart cookie cutter

light of mine
01-25-2009, 10:19 PM

+1 broken chair
+4 scrapbook magazines

+37 mismatched socks

Grover
01-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Previous total 352 DOWN -1710 TO GO
7 SHOES
12 catalogues /magazines
breastpump
3 freezer draw handles-broken off oooh about 2 years ago and never put back on
5 padded envelopes I was saving :shrug
2 tins of broken pencils that fell out of the art and craft cupboard each time it opened
2 bottles of yucky lotion my mIL gave me for christmas
1 bag
3 boxes DS had remodelled
I pair of falling aprt PJ bottoms -but DS wore every night when he was 2
1 old toothbrush -I cleaned the floor before I trashed it-they are great for cleaning the nooks and crannies with
4 old pieces of art work done by dc-oooh 2 years ago
One spray bottle which had been re used and re used
One pump dispenser soap thing which we had kept just incase
One used nature observation kit
One packet of out of date seeds
One magnetic chess set [ :mad the 2cnd one DS won this wekend that had to be trashed-]
new TOTAL 399 DOWN 1601 TO GO

Grover
01-26-2009, 05:38 AM
fORGOT 2 BOTTLE NIPPLES AND A CASE
402 DOWN 1598 TO GO

mom2_AthruZ
01-26-2009, 06:34 AM

Thanks, I missed this the last time I posted. It's longer now and needs to be cut again.

9 cloth diapers(going to a friend)
2 onsies

85 running total

Shnooky
01-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm in! I am so overwhelmed by the state of this house and the amount of junk we, no I, keep. I started doing the challenge last year but didn't end up finishing.

Grover
01-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Hi Louise-your children are so cute

fORGOT 2 BOTTLE NIPPLES AND A CASE
402 DOWN 1598 TO GO

i can t subtract properly 2009- 402 = 1607
Okay 7 odd socks
one pair of maternity knickers-
one plastic aliceband
one pencil broken
one pair of sandals
6 pieces of artwork
17 today
Grand Total 419 down 1590 to go

Shnooky
01-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Thank you Grover :smile

Grover
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Grand Total 419 down 1590 to go

One mobile phone box and instructions-Ive had the phone over a year -it can go
one bauble found behind the sofa
One story cassette-very old and we no longer have a cassette player
One more broken pencil
One odd shoe
3 carboard cut out pirates
One ball oddment of yarn
Grand Total 428 down

KatieMae
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Welcome Louise! :bear

Sam, you're doing awesome!!! Enjoy your well-deserved vacation! :hug

Grover
01-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Thanks Katie-Its shocking how much clutter we have :blush I think most of it we though could have another use :shrug but im realising its just messing up our home.
One black bin bag full of trash taken out of my teenagers bedroom
One half completed craft kit-gone
2 carboard hand made gnomes-gone
new grand Total 432
Next Im determined to clear out stuffed toys

mom2_AthruZ
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
85 running total

I cleaned our bedroom this morning sooo......

25 pieces of baby clothes
1 nursing bra
9 pairs of tights my girls NEVER wear
1 "worst gift ever recieved" pair of pajama pants
1 hair rubber band
2 bibs
1 worn down pencil
1 paci
1 teether
1 fabric door hanger
1 gift bag...making mine own this year ;)
5 diaper covers
2 prefolds
1 carseat head rest
1 old pen
1 pair of baby sock rattles
1 dried up marker
1 old bottle of fingernail polish
2 broken hangers
1 really worn out cloth napkin
2 pair of holey underwear
2 pieces of fabric
1 nasal aspirator
1 pair of plastic pants
2 purses
1 used up candle
1 unmatched sock
2 adult shirts

156 running total :)

Grover
01-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Well done Joanne :rockon

new grand Total 432
Next Im determined to clear out stuffed toys

Okay one set of sum dominoes -gone
one set of word tiles that the kids loathed to play with
one bionicle tub-empty -the bionicle parts were overlowing and have been rehomed
One pair of disintergrating PJ bottoms
one robo dog that DS was freaked out by
One number puzzle with pieces missing
One yankee candle -all used up
new TOTAL 439

Grover
01-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Tackling the Teenage squirrells bedroom
So far ..... :jawdrop....
one cleudo game with bits missing
2 bags
One butterfly canopy -in tatters
2 dvd boxes
an assortment of crisp packets
a few candy wrappers
stack of paper drawing ,notes..
A broken puppy toy and its bed
A broken piece of pollypocket
a tinkerbell toy box

An assortment of teddies
An old box that contained an archery kit
One cushion
One seal jug
one pair of outgrown wellingtons
One outgrown pair of trainer
One outgrown pair of tennis shoes
2 pairs of jeans
one pair of slippers
one shoe :shrug
one pair of outgrown crocs
6 books
one doll
a dolls shoe
3 odd socks= 40

Still more to come in that room

140 photos of my memory card -ready for my next holiday and tidied up emails
1 calculator-broken
total =181

New total 613

Maggirayne
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Oooh, me, me!

I have a ton of clothes. I love thrifting and always say I'm going to get rid of X since I got X. . .and it never happens. I need to go through DD's 2T clothes too.

So for today: (I saw this thread earlier and was inspired)
20 things I never wear or are nursing/pregnancy unfriendly :P~
3 things that DD never wore or I didn't like

Now, as long as I don't think this mean I can go hit the thrift store. . .

hey mommy
02-03-2009, 09:09 PM

there are still quite a few days left in 2009 :)

Umm, silly me was thinking it was just a January thing.. :doh I'm such a dork..

TrinMama
02-04-2009, 05:36 AM
I dropped off another huge donation last weekend. :rockon

mom2_AthruZ
02-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Way to go everyone!! :clap

156 running total

1 broken plastic play kitchen toy
2wooden puzzles that have been missing pieces for years. :O
1 wooden block puzzle thingy that made noise--annoying
1 3ring binder that didn't close right
1 small canister from the kitchen
1 bouncy ball

7 total

Running total 163

KatieMae
02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
+ 2 bath rugs & 5pcs of something... hmmm, I can't remember now what I got rid of, but I know there were 5 of them :yes

New total: 64

And a question...

What's the best re-use of outgrown kids' sneakers? L&L have both worn theirs for about a year so they're pretty beat up (too much for me to bother saving them for another child to wear) so what do I do with them? Just chuck it in with my regular all-purpose donation? Or is there a better, specific charity that anyone knows of that can use such things?

:ty

klpmommy
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, I shredded more 2007 papers today, I need one more day of shredding & I can put the shredder aside for while. :woohoo

And I threw away 2 books. Yup, in the trash. One had some major page tears & the sheer amount of tape it would take to fix would make it a pain to read, you know? And the other was really more of a bunch of loose papers in a cover. Neither was read-able any more. DH will not be happy if he realizes that Ithrew them away, but honestly, all they are doing atm is taking up space.

I also added about 5 books to my library donation pile.

TrinMama
02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
The other day I was putting away important docs and found some emails dh had saved from his ex-gf. uh :scratch I bet he didn't even remember them being there. They're gone now. :shifty Along with about 5 papers of college roommate/workstudy info.

Mama Bird
02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Ooh! I want in on this. I may be late coming to this game, but you ladies had better watch out! (Yes, I'm talking smack!) 5 people and a dog in less than 1000 square feet...I'm motivated!!!

So far this week: 5 maternity items that I'll never wear again!

KatieMae
02-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Welcome Haley :hug

64+
5 happy meal toys donated to Lucas' classroom "prize box"
2 pairs Stride Rite sneakers going to the second-hand store :)

New Total: 71

Maggirayne
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Woohoo! I got so inspired by this!

I went through my winter clothes, my summer clothes, my hanging clothes and most of DD's 2T/24 mo stuff and got rid of:
Mine: 48
Hers: 39
Cleaning stuff I don't use: 8
Shoes: 6
Pantry: 4
= 105 + 23
I am so inspired! :woohoo

Mama Bird
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow! This is kind of addictive. :shifty

In the laundry room/launch pad area:

18 pieces of school-related paper in the recycle bin
small box - recycle
2 winter hats to freecycle
2 pr. mittens to freecycle
scarf to freecycle
backpack to freecycle
lg box to recycle
diaper bag to freecycle
5 unloved socks that are too holey for rags to the trash
bottle of fabric softener to freecycle
3 nursing shirts to a GCM mama

Today's total (so far!) 37 items!

Running total: 42 items

ETA: I figured while I was sitting at the 'puter anyway, I'd organize my bookmarks, desktop, and emails. Are you ready to be ashamed of my hoarding habits? :shifty

Emails: 25
Desktop: 3
Bookmarks: :nails 71

And yes, I did dump the trashes. :-)

So, that's 99 things on the computer, giving me more time with my housework.

Total today: 136!

Running total: 141 items! I feel fantastic! :clap

ETA: 17 outgrown diaper covers to Freecycle!

New running total: 158

Grover
02-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Previous total 613
Ivebeen busy de cluttering
1 stroller
1 trike
1 credit card
20 pieces of artwork
3 stale boxes of cereal
dog medication
vacum cleaner
model smurf house
12 stuffed toys
3 sweaters
2 empty potato head boxes
3 plastic containers with no matching lids
1 pillow
15 emails
a purseful of receipts
one purse-broken
one wallet- broken
2 comics
a broken toy
one shoe
one magazine
3 holiday brochures
3 feeding bras
8 odd socks
4 maternity pants
Argos catalogue
One mostly used jar of mincemeat

Total for this week = 90
New grand total
703 down 1306 to go

KatieMae
02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Sam, you're on fire! :rockon

MessyBee
02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow. this is great. I'm jumping in... first post soon.

Grover
02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Katie
Thankyou.I think this has been so liberating and its helping to get my house in shape.I think its having an amzing effect on my home and my family-so thankyou for inspiring me to take on this challenge.
Next things to be rehomed are my slings-Im donating them to the local breastfeeding support group.I am going to keep my hotsling and EITHER my Maya ring or my CNC MT sling just for those rare times when S consents to having a ride-he walks most places now and really doesnt want a sling ride anymore.I have had requests from my DD to keep a couple for her :shrug anyhow Its quite nice to look forward to the future and feel like we are moving on...I havent felt positive about being baby free till now-but now it does feel very right.

Long post
anyhow went through my computer and deleted 21 items

KatieMae
02-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Welcome MessyBee :hug

That update was great Sam :highfive

old total 71
+ 19 bookmarks deleted (I have many more to do :yes2)

NEW TOTAL: 90

Geeze, only 90? I know I can do better than that ;) But the big stuff needs to wait until it's warm enough to be in the garage/basement to do some major cleaning & d/c down there. In the meantime I'm planning some painting projects (living & dining rooms are first on the list) so I'm bound to do some d/c as I go... cuz I don't want to move all that stuff twice :shifty

Grover
02-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Katie mae-90 is 90 steps in the right direction right?

0ne chewed up sippy -gone
0ne box of part used set of flea repellant-our little dog died before christmas-getting rid of his things has been hard
One box full of papers
8 odd socks
one outgrown set of shoes
two bags from dd #2's room
One box model
one glove[seriously where do the matching gloves go?]
one slipper sock[ditto]
3 broken coathangers
one nursing sweater]
one pair of larger than I now need capri pants]
One mattress[dont ask-the cat really disgraced himself-dd #2 is really miffed with him]
23 today
Grand total 726

Garland
02-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I got rid of books we don't need and tossed lots of artwork/scribble paper that I don't need to keep.

iheartsam
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Ooooh, I just found this. My DH is going to just *love* that I found this. :giggle When I d/c, I always end up wrangling him, usually unwillingly. :P~ But, I really need to do some because we will be moving at the end of this semester so. . . I have a 10.5 month old boy who is a walking fool so needless to say I am quite "busy" :yes but I am committed! I need the accountability. Thanks ladies!

KatieMae
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM
:welcome iheartsam Glad you're joining us!

Grover
02-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Okay
10 books donated
4 slings donated
4 itty bitty tiny nappies donated
1 video
I snowglobe-Gone
1 baby wearing poncho -rehomed
Nursing Bras-Gone

New total 751

iheartsam
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Sold one baby carrier! 1 - 2008 left to go. :yes

Maggirayne
02-23-2009, 03:38 AM
You have 2008 baby carriers?! What a stash! I'll relieve of some of them. :giggle

I am over 150.

If I counted papers I pitched and the packing peanuts I gave away, I'd be nearly halfway there! :giggle

TrinMama
02-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Yesterday we gave our baby carrier/carseat and stroller system to my sister. :rockon That was only 2, but they were BIG!! :rockon

KatieMae
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Ooo, Gina, good riddance to the Travel System :rockon

Today my list can be sung to the "12 Days of Christmas"...
4 medicines [expired]
3 old books
2 kids' t-shirts
and a 1-inch white binder
:clap Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all year.

so 90+10=

New total: 100 :rockon

Grover
02-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Sorted through kids clothes although they are not yet out of the house-all bagged up and ready to go but I wont count them until they are gone
4 old sweaters-gone
Katie -your in triple figures :rockon

iheartsam
02-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Ok, it's going to take forever if I keep going one item at a time but oh well! 1 more baby sling gone! I have a bit of a baby sling fettish. :shifty So that brings my total to a whopping 2! Next to tackle is the kitchen. :hiding

Grover
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
10 birthday cards -gone

anjelika
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Ok - I'm starting a big declutter and giving the items to Purple Heart on 3/13. I will update after this weekend with my fantasting results, God willing! :)

Grover
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
41-an assortment of cloth diapers,covers,longies and bumbaduds that have been give to a growing family in need :rockon
Im hoping to get the bag of clothes to the recycling point this weekend but as yet it still sat in my house so I am not counting it-yet
So current total is 806 1203 to go

KatieMae
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Good luck anjelika!

100+
3pcs unsalvageable outgrown kids clothes into the trash
11pcs outgrown kids clothes that I don't particularly like :shifty into Donation Station box

New total: 114

KatieMae
03-04-2009, 09:29 AM
114 +

2 boxes of facewash I don't like anymore
1 tube of foundation I never use
1 gift pack of bath products I will also never use
1 sweater I don't like

New total = 119

Grover
03-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Katie -Look at you go :cheer :barbell2 :cheer
I got rid on one huge vacum cleaner box that DS turned into a robot and befriended.Before christmas he went into the airing cuboard and he hasnt been asked out to play so it was safe for him to go
One Dvd box
One video
One broken coat
Another robot made from an assortmnent of Junk
One plastic egg
2 christmas cards

Grover
03-05-2009, 06:08 AM
One mouldy soap stand
Sadly the clothes are still waiting to be rehomed
New total 814

iheartsam
03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Man you guys are awesome! :clap It encourages me to de-clutter when I get that little message in my email!

8 various pantry items that weren't feelin the love at our house given away to new homes
1 baking pan I don't use given away
1 tuperware container that I don't use given away
1 ring box either giving away or off to Goodwill
1 face lotion that I don't like given away

New total - 14

KatieMae
03-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I spent about 90 minutes sweeping, tidying and throwing away trash in our basement/garage today :rockon so...

119+
1 broken rake
1 pair muddy shoes I no longer need
3 broken outdoor toys
and a bag of trash; I'm going to count it as 20 things since I had to pick up each filthy thing :shiver to put it in the bag ;)

New total: 144

KatieMae
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
144+
about 10 more things into the trash when I was in the basement again on Saturday :rockon

New total: 154

I pulled out two boxes of books (Bibles, fiction & non-fiction) plus one box of AD&D junk of DH's from when he was younger (mid-90's) that we packed THREE YEARS AGO - and I dated it on purpose ;) - so now he said we CAN get rid of it :woohoo :ptl So next time I get down there, probably on Tuesday afternoon, I'll go thru those boxes & hopefully have more to add to my total :yes

celestial princess
03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
not looking at how far you are all ahead of me, just posting that I'm finally posting 10 items. :shifty

jgenie
03-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Can I play? I guess I'll have to work extra hard to catch up....

- 8 kitchen cabinets from my garage
- 1 dishwasher from my garage
- 1 microwave oven
- 1 computer and keyboard
- 6 vases
- 6 individual serving boxes of expired chocolate milk
- 6 expired can food items
- 1 lamp
- 1 radio
- 3 items returned to store

34 Total Items 1975 to go!!

sothisislove
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
What fun!! I power-cleaned today, so let me remember:

clothes I'm SICK of looking at - 6
2 cheapo, probably toxic stuffed animals - 2
black skirt - 1

Sothisislove total: 9

Plus...I swept the floors and did laundry today!

mom2_AthruZ
03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Running total 163

50 kid clothing items

50 total

Running total 213 :yes

Garland
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I gathered some stuff for the church garage sale.

jgenie
03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
1 cookie jar
1 box resume paper
3 unopened ink cartridges
1 black dress
5 plastic containers
1 large mug filled with pens
1 cable cord
2 books
3 magnets
12 cd cases

30 Total Items 1945 to go!!

mom2_AthruZ
03-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Running total 213

44 children's books
1 my little pony
1 scrunchy
2action figures
1 messed up ball of yarn
1 pair of slippers

running total 263

klpmommy
03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I spent some time in the garage today to make a path :blush . I threw out four bags of trash (large items, so it isn't as bad as it sounds), some boxes & other assorted items.

crunchyusmcluv
03-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Would love to join this thread.
I got rid of about 40 magazines I know sad huh! I will do better I promise.

Maggirayne
03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey, anything is a start! I had a great month Feb, and have been super-tired this month. So kinda fizzled. But I got rid of a lot of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise! Woohoo!
and I sold some stuff, can I say I've gotten about $60 for stuff I was just going to take to the thrift store?! Yay!

So maybe next week I'll get inspired again. :giggle

Grover
03-28-2009, 08:12 AM
3pairs of longies-out grown
5 mothersday cards
3 pieces of artwork
one pair of slippers
New total 826----- 1183 to go

jgenie
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
2 baskets
1 package plastic flatware
1 parafin kit
5 advent calendars
1 blouse

10 Total Items 1935 to go!!

jgenie
04-03-2009, 05:29 AM
7 frames
3 bumper stickers
4 books
1 hat
10 food products from pantry
5 bowls

+30 Items = 104 Total items 1905 to go!!

MamaDove
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
New here...

Major decluttering going on - during my depression I accumulated WAAY too much.

45 items donated to food pantry
1 case of books - 35 donated to church library -35
1 rocking chair glider/ foot stool -Freecycle -2
2 boxes of misc junk -Goodwill 123 items
1 toddler toliet to freecycle
5 baby gates to church
1 stroller to friend
1 high chair to friend
1 box of misc craft supplies to church (52 items)
1 bag of misc office supplies to Freecycle (28 items)
1 box of baby toys to my niece (60 items)
7 old coffee containers recycled

360 items -I'm so proud of myself, but there's still more to go, but I need to focus on cleaning the house with the Inlaws coming this weekend.

jgenie
04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
8 frames
1 piece of fabric
1 candle

+10 Items = 114 Total items 1895 to go!!

KatieMae
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Here's a general :poke to everyone on here :hug The weather is starting to get nice - get in that garage/basement/attic & get rid of stuff! :cheer

I've been working in the basement, slowly but steadily, for the last two months or so.
154+
Cons. estimate of 75 things that I've tossed or returned to their rightful owners
MAJOR paper decluttering today: at least six reams' worth, so let's count 10% of that @ 300pcs
6 binders (holding all that paper :giggle) will be given to a friend of mine on Friday :rockon freecycling!
NEW TOTAL = 535 :woohoo

momaich
05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Decluttering mode mama here!
Today I am taking some toys to my friend who recently opened a day care.
Little Tike Green Mountain RR- lots of boxes of this!
Garbage Bag of carboard bricks
Also, I prepared for a yard sale and am purging
2 babydolls and accessories
1 big Dora doll and accessories
1 little Dora doll and accessories
1 tiny Dora doll and schoolroom
1 tiny Dora doll and animal rescue mission accessories
1 barn and accessories
FF costumes
About 6 firetucks

I am having a hard time separating from my Fisher Price house and accessories. They may remain with us a while longer yet. :0/

I think I deserve a 100 for this much.

Quiteria
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't think I ever started a count in the 2009 thread :O but I'm having a yardsale this weekend!!! :rockon Every bin of outgrown clothes is getting dragged out and not coming back!

jgenie
05-12-2009, 06:45 AM
10 kitchen cabinets
1 countertop
1 backsplash
2 ovens
1 six foot table
1 sink
1 faucet
1 slate top
2 baby gates
3 hair clips
1 pair pjs
3 baby outfits
10 old bookmarks
2 wall hooks
1 box old tile

+40 Items = 154 Total items 1855 to go!!

momaich
05-13-2009, 07:22 AM
I've got a garage full of stuff to purge at the yardsale.
Cardboard building blocks-40
Dishes 50
Diapers 50
Car parts 35
Books 100

mom2_AthruZ
05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Running total 163

In preperation for a move to who knows where I am decluttering some more:

1 bag of MISC to Good Will
70 National Geographic Magazines

71--total

Running total 234

Woo hoo! I broke through the 200 mark!

klpmommy
05-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I spent about an hour in the basement storage area. One bag of trash plus a couple of empty boxes & some pieces of wood & the pieces to a broken desk. :rockon All dh approved. :)

mom2_AthruZ
05-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Running total 234

40 book
2 bags of trash from 10yos room! :jawdrop :shifty
3 pieces of clothing

Running total 279

sothisislove
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh man...I've not been keeping track. Here's what I remember:

huge back of baby clothes...probably 20 pieces.
crayon box thing
wooden basket thingy
shoes
flip flops
coat and clothes - 10 items
dumb toys - 5
books - 30ish
old magazine...2
suit case
ice tea maker (dumb invention!)
kitten (I have 5 more to adopt out!)
ribbon - 3
dumb superman toy
stained clothes - 2
clothes I hate - 10ish
library book I had forever
Total: 91

Sothisislove grand total: 100
1909 more to go.

Grover
05-22-2009, 07:47 AM
3pairs of longies-out grown
5 mothersday cards
3 pieces of artwork
one pair of slippers
New total 826----- 1183 to go

Okay cleaned out the dumping ground

3 gas and air canisters -Re homed with the midwife
One complete home birth kit-re homes with midwife
One book - posted
Two shorties and a T shirt- swapped
18 DVD cases trashed
Five books -
6 tacky el cheapo picture frames- gone
One denim jacket- gone
one pair of boots-gone
15 part [tiny] balls of wool Gone
Bag of scrap felt bits-Gone
bag of papers-gone
Bag that was Nathans school sports kit- gone
Highchair- Gone
70 emails- Gone
Piece of plastic tube-gone
3 hideous nursery rhyme cd's -Gone
Roll of wire- Gone
a couple of pom -poms- Gone
4 christmas light boxes -Gone
Roll of off cut carpet - Gone
25 comics-Gone
Contents of a sweing box minus the tape measure and the clasp /buttons - Gone
A few tufts left in abag of polyester stuffing -Gone
Wool Buddies -Donated-
Almost completely used colouring book -Gone
Mind Numbingly boring age 10/11 test papers - Gone
Phone book- Gone
Innacurate Bible stories for children-Gone
4 Boxes- carboard- Gone
candle -tiny bit left -Gone
Jigsaw with pieces missing -Gone
Battered A4 file -Gone
3 of old DVD's -Gone
One sweater -too small -gone

Todays Total
MAKING A GRAND TOTAL OF 992- WITH 1017 TO GO

mom2_AthruZ
05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Running total 279

46 more books

Running total 325 :)

klpmommy
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
not keeping count, but adding one box of trash from the basement & one bag of trash from the garage

sothisislove
05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
20 toys (rough guess)
-several McD toys
-shape sorter blocks..why we have so many
-cheapo stuffed animal
-broken flashlight
-more junk

bag of clothes ....hmmm 20, maybe.

I need to keep count!

Sothisislove...140.

1867 to go.

AppleSauceCookies
05-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Alright, I am sooo in... but I am going to get confused with all this math. Haha

-6 large trash bags full of clothing (not going to count item) to goodwill
-2 large trash bags full of stuffed aminals (they say it that way) that no one plays with
-1 fireplace full of papers that needed to be burned/shredded
-1 large bag full of milk bottles... somehow the kids thought we could get money for these... :shrug3
-30 broken, bent, scratched cds
-15 vhs tapes to goodwill
-1 old high school picture that I will never get around to paying to have it restored
-Broke down the bunk bed and returned it to it's rightful owners

Now when we move next year, we won't be bringing all the junk with us, yay!! :think I know I have more... just gotta get down and dirty. 57 counted....

Grover
05-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Finally got the bag to the goodwill [actually there was a local collection]=20 items
One box ,a broken rail and road Little tikes set- trashed-30 pieces
One trailer for a bike we gave away- gone
One highchair- gone
Total 52 =.1044 gone-
I have a box of little people that Im hiding and waiting to see if Stanley misses

sothisislove
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Still at:

Sothisislove...140.

1867 to go.
I need to get busy! :yes

klpmommy
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
another bag from the basement/garage today! :woohoo

AppleSauceCookies
05-28-2009, 10:51 PM

mummy2boys
05-29-2009, 01:56 AM
:rockon You are doing a great job everyone

MamaDove
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I got 2 years worth of filing done. The file cabinet is labeled and setup how I can use it since hubby turned it over to me to do.

Just need to find a shredder on freecycle.

Grover
06-06-2009, 07:30 AM
2 years of filing :rockon well done
I discarded one broken hole pincher and cleared 40 emails = 41
new total 1095

Grover
06-08-2009, 11:10 AM
10 birthday cards
2easter chick models
2 pieces of artwork
14= new total 1109

momaich
06-09-2009, 08:08 AM
keep it up girls! I never thought about posting paper purges. Good idea!!!!!!

Gentlemum
06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Wow! This is awesome! I'm new so, I have a bit of catch up to play but, I'm so salivating at the prospect. We need this around our house.

So, I'm just starting but, here's my first numbers:

19 magazines in the recycling bin.
1 toy in the trash.

5 toys
4 books
1 glass bottle
1 hacksaw
1 drawstring bag ....which all went to Goodwill.

And that brings my first total up to: 31 items de-cluttered. 1,978 to go!

passthemanna
07-07-2009, 02:22 PM
-went thru our closet & donated all of the clothes that we never wear, yet these clothes somehow manage to end up in the dirty laundry each week!
-donated/sold all the clothes that my son never wear, yet has already outgrown

tempus vernum
07-10-2009, 07:23 AM
I was thinking it might be time for this. . . . . . I need to get moving on decluttering. My kitchen cupboard barely closes :doh HOW did that happen?

Teribear
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm in. I did a major decluttering the first few days of the year already so I'm going to start out with 25 (which believe me is conservative...I filled up two of those HUGE green city trash cans and had three bags out side it still) and count from here.

And I'm finally back at it. Yesterday I went through the medicine cabinet, baskets and bins in the downstairs bathroom and filled two tall kitchen garbage bags with expired and/or unused junk. I'm thinking I'm not going to bother counting anymore just going to post what I do.

rosesnsnails
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm getting started late, but I'm still going to try. :)

22 magazines
14 books

1 hanging basket
6 computer disks
14 more books
1 bottle cozy
62 paper clutter

Grover
07-11-2009, 05:29 AM
10 birthday cards
2easter chick models
2 pieces of artwork
14= new total 1109

Okay lots more decluttering this week.I went through the kids closest and drawers
60 items - stained/broken /too worn so discarded
30 items re homed
3 Pairs of jeans passed on

Household
Stash of jars - recycled
Stash of bubble envelopes - trashed
Boxes- recycled

Garden
2 broken plant pots ditche
1 broken truck
1 box
Caterpillar house - thrown

new total 1213

Grover
07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Okay one broken cheapo scalextric type car track- Gone- 1214- DOWN

A bag has come through the door asking for donations- Yipeeeee

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

forgot - Two washie toys looking yukky- Gone= 1216 down

Grover
07-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Recycled
2 catalogues
20 0r so old pieces of paper/letters
one newspaper
10 various pieces of art work
15 envelopes
3 books of coupons
7 leaflets including one for postnatal exersizes- did I ever look at it LOL
= 58

Threw out
15 odd socks
4 amazing old and well used Bra's
7 pairs of tights with holes/ladders
3 stained onsies
2 threadbare prefolds- what was I saving them for?
7 odd booties
one ripped PUL bag
3 pairs of pants
3 video boxes= 45

To donate
2 pairs of shoes
two picture frames
3 annuals
34 books
12 videos
a couple of bibs- we never used =55

Total 158 today

New total is 1372

rosesnsnails
07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
120 items

2 huge stereo speakers
1 microwave cabinet
1 coffee mug
1 tv
1 basket
1 floor cleaner

Rose
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm in!

We just moved to into an apartment and so we had to MAJORLY downsize. I just went through all of our clothes and toys...

278 things gone!

rosesnsnails
07-31-2009, 09:51 AM
127 items
2 filing cabinets
3 tables
1 lamp
24 pieces of clothing

Grover
08-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Three big bags went outside for the kirbside charity shop collection
We gave all our crib bedding
A stack of maternity clothes
Blankets my Grandmother gave us and wouldnt let us refuse...
40 more items GONE

new TOTAL 1412

Grover
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Went through the paperwork drawer
21 envelopes and bits of junk mail with our names and details removed
16 pieces of artwork
3 games with bit missing or just too boring to play-its okay we buy our games from yard sales etc
one broken dustpan

1453 down

Maggirayne
08-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Subbing to come back!

MotherSong
08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Just decluttered my computer desk and the tops of 2 file cabinets, as well as a coffee table. :)

Grover
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
one pair of wellingtons,one cot blanket,one pair of trainers,one pair of crocs,a selection of clothing items - recycled to goodwill = 30
Three DVD boxes,
two catologues- recycled
One catalogue returned
one chalkboard
one broken dolls highchair- made for me by my grandpa- thrown out :-[ but its broken ,cant be fixed or made safe for a child to play with - I have the memories ......
One box
A free carboard broken playset that came with DS shoes

Todays total 40
1493 Grand total

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Maggi I love your avi pic

rosesnsnails
08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
12 pieces of clothing
4 pieces of fabric
2 vases
4 books
---------

Grover
08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
One jigsaw peg book of Nathan's- we lost some of the pieces- not suprisng sinse we've had it five years- thrown
One ball and hammer toy- missing the balls[they rolled away] - thrown
Some plastic food pieces - gone

Total 1496

Grover
08-22-2009, 04:52 AM
One expresso set
one flask
Games,puzzles,flashcards,computer games - all donated to charity store
one box of 'collage items' sorted through and de cluttered
one box of woolbits donates

Total

Grover
08-23-2009, 06:18 AM
One fluffy no longer sticky window climbing man
several kinder egg toys
one inflatable drum[ yeah that never worked but it came with a comic]
4 video's
32 DVD cases
one decorated lantern and one sequin picture- shhh dont tell the kids Im discarding their art work
Several curriculum items I have de cluttered- 50 pages of a reading program we printed off[ boring ]
Several more sheets I had printed off[20]

The good news is we found Quincy in the clearing out under the TV

total 112 for today

Grand total 1622

Grover
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
One pocket kite - broken
one bag of broken pot of cream I kept incase I ever had to back up my claim against the PO
One fleece blanket
one box saved and decorated.

Grover
08-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Today tackled the paperwork drawer [again]
20 coupons expired - disposed of
6 letters- with any personal information shredded
a few other things the pipecleaner bracelet [ sorry kids]
a broken toy hand grabber...

Grand total 1652

Grover
08-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Decided whilst The clutternutter child was at grandma's to reclaim her bedrooom floor- three bin bags went out I stopped counting but assuming a adverage of twenty items per bag = 60
Also cleared some broken toys from the boys room,2 and some boxes ,tubes,pots etc =10

TOTAL 1712

Grover
08-27-2009, 10:23 AM
32 items donated to a collecting charity
6 items of outgrwon organic clothing <sniff sniff> given to a friend with a smaller child

total 1750

Grover
08-28-2009, 05:36 AM
10 baby board books donated to oxfam- y'know the ones with Ball,Dog...we've moved passed that stage now

Grand Total 1760 Down 249 TO GO WAHOOOOOOOOOO

Grover
08-30-2009, 03:25 AM
2 more DVD boxes- Im so pleased we have started storing DVD' s in a CD storage wallet- it takes up a lot less room and it is easier to find the DVD you want - not to mention the kids never put the DVD's away before and if they did it was in the wrong case.
4 Pieces of art work
Stanleys Potty learning sticker chart
two sets of felt tip pens from MIL [ the ones that stain;-[ ]

Total down 1787 - 222 to go

Grover
09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
This thread has become all about me ME ME- sorry
I am probaly going to have to subtract the bag I put out for the charity collection- as they never collected it
One water powered clock- gone sadly wrong -cant keep time anymore- Gone

Grover
09-07-2009, 07:20 AM
30 items taken back off my doorstep.It really irritates me when the charity drop off plastic bags to fill at every house and then never bother to collect the donations they asked for ....
So in theory I am up 30 but I cleared out the craft closet so Im at the same score

Grover
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Its a alll about meeeeeeee
;)
Birthday cards,packaging all decluttered[im normally terrible at saving these for future craftprojects /wrapping but then forgetting that I have them or where they are.
Total 1798 211 to go

jgenie
09-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm finally making it back here.

- 4 dufflebags
- 2 floor lamps
- 1 end table
- 1 copper pitcher
- 3 puzzles
- 1 foam floor puzzle
- 4 pottery dishes
- 5 books
- 3 garment bags
- 1 train case
- 7 wine glasses
- 3 flower pots
- 1 treadmill
- 1 foam sleeping mat
- 3 returns long overdue
- 3 baby bath towels
- 1 month's old receipts shredded
- 5 old items from the freezer
- 15 bath towels
- 4 pieces of lambswool
- 6 litterboxes
- 2 puppy pens
- 1 thermometer

+72 Items = 226 Total items 1783 to go!!

Grover
09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi Jgenie

11 books donated to Oxfam

Total 1809 - 200 to go

jgenie
09-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Grover - wow you must be excited - only 200 items to go - what will you do with yourself when you're done?!!

- 3 serving bowls
- 1 cooking pot
- 1 wine cooler
- 1 vase
- 1 carafe
- 8 old condiments

+15 Items = 241 Total items 1768 to go!!

Also reorganized the guest bathroom linen cabinet!!

Grover
09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I hope weeds and dead plants count = 20

Total 1829-----180 to go

MamaPepper
09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
How come I'm just seeing this? I've probably gotten 1000 points already but I've no way to prove it!! :hissyfit

jgenie
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
- 3 glasses
- 1 washcloth
- 1 serving platter
- 10 old items from the deep freezer

+15 Items = 256 Total items 1753 to go!!

MamaPepper
09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Bag full of books/toys - 30
Old spice rack - 1
other kitchen stuff - 10

jgenie
09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
- misc kitchen items
- old food from the deep freezer

+20 Items = 276 Total items 1733 to go!!

jgenie
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
15 old pantry items

+15 Items = 291 Total items 1718 to go!!

Grover
09-18-2009, 07:11 AM
How come I'm just seeing this? I've probably gotten 1000 points already but I've no way to prove it!! :hissyfit
This is not a serious competition,if you say that you have already ditched a 1000 Im willing to take that as your total,after all none of us have 'proof' other than our postst ykwim?

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Jgenie- your doing so well

One wooden duck push along re homed to a friend with a smallewr child who is happily playing with it:D

32 books donated to oxfam

1852 down 157 to go

MamaPepper
09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Thx!

2 old Bradley books = 2 pts

Grover
09-19-2009, 02:41 PM
an ageing solar system craft model
An old empty lego box[ we had to keep <sigh> a month later I discarded it after he was asleep tonight]
A game with missing pieces that causes lots of frustration
A 3d pig puzzle again with missing pieces - and causing lots of frustration

A new total of 1856 -----153 to go

Grover
09-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Two bags of clothes[ 40 items donated]

from DS toy closet
One box[ yet another prized from DS stash]
One non working hideous piece of Shrek something [unwanted christmas ]
One piece of track
one broken action figure
A cardboard tube
you wouldnt believe how hard it was for DS to give up this junk

6 pieces of artwork

jgenie
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
- cutting board
- desk
- chair
- 3 trashcans
- coffee pot
- 10 misc travel items
- 5 books
- 3 washcloths
- onesie
- plastic bucket

+27 Items = 318 Total items 1691 to go!!

Grover
09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
One pair of DD ex school shoes
on crafty kit decorated visor that DS decorated with glitter and then never wore
One handy manny summer siesta mobile
One outgrown stained pj top

Thant with yesterdays offerings = 55

Grand Total 1911 -98 to go

Grover
09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I disposed of the cardboard presentation pack that the playdoh has been living in ,we just threw all the special pots in with the other playdoh barrel

Lucky ducks box- gone- Im going to store it all in the empty cookie tim MIL gave us

sooo two down today ---- 96 to go!

MamaPepper
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey. . anyone reading this want to tell me what to do if you've hit a decluttering "plateau"? I NEED to declutter more, but have done so much that I'm not sure I want to do more. I mean, I WANT to do more, and but I'm not sure I WANT to do more :crazy

Grover
09-25-2009, 04:58 AM
For me it meant tackling the beloved baby clothes and slings and then the books and toys.I usually really hang on to stuff I have an emoitinal attachment to- so even though the baby clothes were outgrown and no longer needed[we are done- I think] I struggled to give them away.I also hold onto stuff just in case,so old stained kids clothes got held onto just incase - I dunno the kids got a vomiting virus or something- can I just say we have had some really tough times when we first started parenting....
Anyhow books were the next big hit
I buy books from yerd sales and when the library has a withdrawn stock sale,I will willing spend a few pence on any kids book they show a passing intrest but my goal has been to get the kids books all on their bookcase so its been about whittling down so that they can actually find the book they want on their bookcase
Next will be my bookcase [again] and being ruthless.I love getting books for myself and therefore some need to go- we dont have room for a library

So today we took 36 books to oxfam

60 to go !!!!!

jgenie
09-26-2009, 02:35 AM
- snow blower
- 4 bookshelves
- 10 misc travel size items
- 1 sprouted sweet potato
- 17 outdated pantry items
- 20 bookmarked websites

+53 Items = 371 Total items 1638 to go!!

jgenie
09-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Finally started going through my junk email account. Deleted 300 emails that I've been hanging on to for no apparent reason.

+300 Items = 671 Total items 1338 to go!!

Grover
10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
23 books and 14 nappies donated away
23 to go

Grover
10-03-2009, 01:15 AM
3 pieces of artwork gone
20 to go

Grover
10-08-2009, 05:42 AM
3 bath toys are gone
1 pair of jeans given to a friend with a smaller child