PDA

View Full Version : I just got into a CSA!

righteous mama
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm so excited! I contacted this lady yesterday about joining because their prices are good and the stuff they grow is just on the border between stuff I already like and stuff I'd like to experiment with. It's organic and after talking with the lady, she allowed me to be charged monthly instead of quarterly!

We're hoping that with this weekly box of produce we'll get more creative and healthy with our eating. I need to eat more low-carb, so adding good veggies in my diet is really important. I'm hoping that by having a steady stream of good fruits, etc, we'll help the kids reduce snacking on carbs and get them into snacking on raw fruits/veggies. They also deliver fresh, raw macademia nuts! Dh will love that! Avocados, too!

I get to pick up my first box this Wednesday. Perfect timing 'cause we are all out of produce. If we can manage to pay for this every month, then we can really stretch the gift cards that were given to us for the grocery store. We'll probably have to apply for food stamps soon, but again, I'm hoping we can at least maintain these good, fresh, organics to keep our bodies healthy...even if we have to eat it with mac n cheese. ;)

Soliloquy
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
:tu We love our CSA.

Mashena
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I miss my CSA. It's only a summer one. So sad!

righteous mama
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Then I should probably not tell you what all we get in ours...since we're in SoCal. It might cause you to stumble. ;)

I'm just so excited. Really. Should a person get THIS excited about veggies?

pastelsummer
01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I would love soemthing like that. I only like fresh veggies.

Mashena
01-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Then I should probably not tell you what all we get in ours...since we're in SoCal. It might cause you to stumble. ;)

I'm just so excited. Really. Should a person get THIS excited about veggies?

haha. nice for you!

I got super exicted about my veggies every week. I usually blogged about them. haha I loved trying new things and cooking things new ways. Things I now love because of CSA: eggplant, okra, arugula (I made an AMAZING pizza with arugula from my CSA box). . and there's probably something else new that I tried that I'm forgetting about.

pastelsummer
01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
what does csa stand for? i was going to look for one in my area

righteous mama
01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
what does csa stand for? i was going to look for one in my area

Community Sustained Agriculture

You get directly from the farm, so it's fresher, usually organic, and affordable. You don't pick what you get, but that's part of the fun.

Ours has a blog that offers recipes and ideas for the current crops. They recently had recipes for pesto and kale. Being pregnant, I'm really interested in incorporating kale into our diet.

Mashena
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Check out www.localharvest.org to search for ones in your area.

Atarah
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
:jump2

I :heart my CSA farmers (Brad and Jennifer) and the veggies they grow for me. :giggle

proudmommaof3
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. I'm so excited now that i'm going to look it up in my area. I am a crazy nut for fresh produce. The prices in the grocery stores are outrageous for "not as fresh' things. Thank you ladies!!!! :clap