PDA

View Full Version : foam matresses

me
01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
we are getting the kids new beds in a couple of months and i was considering foam matresses/platforms instead of traditional matresses/box springs/frames. has anyone else switched over to a system like that or done any research on switching?
Seems like it might also be more allergy friendly as well as roll off the bed friendly since they are lower to the ground. i like that they arent as bulky since we have limited space. :think i was thinking of just doing a simple base but personalize the bed with the sheets/pillows/cover instead of headboards or bunkbeds.
:nak2

mommylove
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
When I was growing up, our spare "bed" was a big old thick slab of foam. I really liked sleeping on it -- it was more comfortable than my old, used, crappy mattress. :giggle That said, now as an adult, the thing that would keep me from using foam for my children is outgassing -- ironically the same issue I have with regular mattresses. So really, I'm no help.

ilikestrawberryjello
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
The only thing I can say about foam is that it kind of holds in your body heat...so they can be kinda hot.

me
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
When I was growing up, our spare "bed" was a big old thick slab of foam. I really liked sleeping on it -- it was more comfortable than my old, used, cruddy mattress. :giggle That said, now as an adult, the thing that would keep me from using foam for my children is outgassing -- ironically the same issue I have with regular mattresses. So really, I'm no help.
ya i was thinking about the outgassing thing too. i cant afford a better alternative than regular mattresses since i will be buying for 4 kids. I did think of a papasan or futon cotton type padding used as a mattress but then they wouldnt last very long and would get lumpy.

The only thing I can say about foam is that it kind of holds in your body heat...so they can be kinda hot.
and ya to that too :) their mattresses would have a waterproof or wool cover anyway though :think

ShangriLewis
01-06-2009, 10:35 AM
We have the kind from Ikea. They aren't those fancy ones that make you hot :giggle I don't know if that is an option. I have dealt with back problems since I was young and I'm really happy with them. We actually have really lucked out and gotten floor models. They replace them pretty often and they are in the AS-IS section. I think our last King was around 100.

me
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
We have the kind from Ikea. They aren't those fancy ones that make you hot :giggle I don't know if that is an option. I have dealt with back problems since I was young and I'm really happy with them. We actually have really lucked out and gotten floor models. They replace them pretty often and they are in the AS-IS section. I think our last King was around 100.
$100 for a king! :jawdrop we dont have one near by or else i would be going that route for sure.
I did look at everything on line at ikea. i was thinking of maybe ordering from them, the bed in a box place, or in store from somewhere like target, walmart, sams, costco those kind of places where we can just grab and go. i wasnt sure about the quality though. hearing that you like ikea's does help a ton.

what do you have yours on?

Katigre
01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I personally am very very picky about mattresses b/c of all the nasty chemicals in them. I bought ours at IKEA (latex) b/c they don't use the PBDE flame retardants that are the worst, and we didn't have any off-gassing issues when we brought them home which was nice - i'm very sensitive to that. (We left them out in my parents' attic for a few weeks first just in case).

me
01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I personally am very very picky about mattresses b/c of all the nasty chemicals in them. I bought ours at IKEA (latex) b/c they don't use the PBDE flame retardants that are the worst, and we didn't have any off-gassing issues when we brought them home which was nice - i'm very sensitive to that. (We left them out in my parents' attic for a few weeks first just in case).
:think of course they would have latex :doh i hadnt thought of that. a hypoallergenic cover would probably make the latex a non allergy issue, you think?