PDA

View Full Version : ? for those with playrooms

TuneMyHeart
01-03-2009, 09:01 AM
do you have all the toys in the playroom? if not, how do you decide what to put where?

akfireweed
01-03-2009, 09:35 AM
we had a playroom at our last house and the boys shared the room. Most of the toys were in the playroom and the bedroom was mainly just for sleeping. I did keep some of my older son's toys that were not safe for the younger one elsewhere. We don't have a dedicated playroom anymore and the kids have their own rooms. My younger son's room has the shared toys (so it's also kind of the playroom) and my older son has his stuff that the younger one would destroy if he got his hands on them.

rubicube
01-03-2009, 11:09 AM
We have a dedicated playroom. Most of the toys are in there. We don't have any toys in the bedrooms. There is a small basket of toys and a box of legos in the living room, along with a couple of drawers of board books.
They also sometimes play at the dining room table, but we don't keep toys in there. I have a hard fast rule that there are no toys in the kitchen at any time, because I'm easily irritated by tripping over toys when trying to cook/bake/do laundry. . .so "play" in the kitchen involves helping Mommy and not toys.
So for the short answer. . .almost all toys are in the playroom but they can move them to other areas of the house (except the kitchen) to play. And we have a very small amount of toys kept in the living room.

WI Mama05
01-03-2009, 12:06 PM
:popcorn cuz I'm just changing this around now. I *did* deal with DD1 that she can keep her barbies and barbie house in her room, but if they are not picked up, they go in the basement. Fair, I think, considering she likes to "get away" from her sister during the day and that might help her with some down time :think. We'll see.

Dana Joy
01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
the toys in the playroom have to be safe for all ages- and they need to be willing to share- the rest go in their individual rooms.

tempus vernum
01-05-2009, 07:31 AM
We have a playroom and we also have kids with sleep issues so I try VERY hard for the only toys in the bedrooms to be stuffed animals as sleep experts say the fewest distractions in the bedrooms the better.

They are allowed to play with toys up in their rooms but the toys have to come back down :)

BHope
01-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I'll admit to having a serious aversion to clutter. I don't have toys stored anywhere but in their playroom. The girls are allowed to bring things out to play with elsewhere, but immediately after their use they have to go right back. I used to have a basket downstairs that the girls could put things in when they were playing down here, but it just became an issue of them leaving toys out or getting toys out of it that they weren't even interested in playing with. Resulting in big messes for no reason. So, I've since done away with that idea.

Raspberries
01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Our playroom is set up into "centers" now. So her dress up, books, blocks, art supplies, and play kitchen things are in there. In her bedroom she has her toy cars, stuffed animals and more books.

TuneMyHeart
01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
I'll admit to having a serious aversion to clutter. I don't have toys stored anywhere but in their playroom. The girls are allowed to bring things out to play with elsewhere, but immediately after their use they have to go right back. I used to have a basket downstairs that the girls could put things in when they were playing down here, but it just became an issue of them leaving toys out or getting toys out of it that they weren't even interested in playing with. Resulting in big messes for no reason. So, I've since done away with that idea.

oh my goodness, this is so me. ;) 90% of the toys are in the playroom. The "baby toys" are in the nursery, but everything else is in the playroom. I think I'm going to have to separate toys with smaller pieces and put them in Ellie's room for the baby's safety. I'm not sure how to do that; her room is tiny. :think