PDA

View Full Version : is this low budget sounding, kitchen Idea

Lavender Lily
01-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I have laminate kitchen counters where the laminate goes up the backsplash wall. We have tried to take the backsplash part off but then realized that its one solid piece connected to the counter. :mad
We put white paneled wall pieces on the backsplash to give it a country feel and also to break that awful avocado blackhole in the kitchen. But then now I've realized that its getting water damage where the sink is at so I'm now thinking of taking it off.
Since we had to use glue to get the paneling on we had to make holes so that the glue would take so if we take it off we can't leave it bare again.
What I was thinking of was buying either laminate tiles or the large floor piece and cut it to put as backsplash. Does that sound kooky or weird or low budget?
If we were to try to remove the counter and backsplash it would probably result in a lot of $$ which we don't have.
I know some have used wallpaper for backsplash. I just don't know if the glue would stick to the backsplash. :think
The counter we were thinking of either leaving it or putting white tile on it.

mom2threegirls
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
If it really did look like tile (and not laminate) I think it would be nice. Since it will be up much closer to eye level than a floor is I would think the seams could be visible though :think. Could you tile the counter AND tile the backsplash? Do you think the counter piece up on the backsplash is strong enough to support real tile? :think

RiverRock
01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Have you priced out getting the counter re-laminated with something updated? We have friends who did this to their kitchen and they said it was surprisingly inexpensive and easy to do. The new laminate might have gone right on top of the old. :think It might cost less than tile, and then cover the rough edge if you were to have the backsplash part removed. Then you could just tile a backsplash, or have other options available to you. We just replaced a laminate bathroom counter because of water damage and I think it was about $100 including installation.

Katydid
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
We have the same laminate up the wall deal as you, only ours is really worn and burned in spots... nasty. So I covered the entire counter top and back splash with contact paper. :giggle It doesn't hold up for more than a year or so, but it is so cheap and looks halfway decent.

Could you try something like that while you save up for materials to tile or whatever?

Oh, and I really don't think tile would stick very well to the laminate. Especially on the walls. :think

Lavender Lily
01-02-2009, 02:08 PM
We have the same laminate up the wall deal as you, only ours is really worn and burned in spots... nasty. So I covered the entire counter top and back splash with contact paper. :giggle It doesn't hold up for more than a year or so, but it is so cheap and looks halfway decent.

Could you try something like that while you save up for materials to tile or whatever?

Oh, and I really don't think tile would stick very well to the laminate. Especially on the walls. :think

:sadno ditto, at least with the counter we know we need to put a board down in order to tile but with the backsplash...I don't think we could put the board on there before tiling. I sort of doubt it would stay on anyways. :scratch
In order to rip out the couter top we would have to rip out the backsplash and who knows if that goes behind the cabinets also. :think :scratch I don't know what got into these people who build this house to do this. :doh