PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! She's looking for decluttered toys!

WI Mama05
12-30-2008, 03:22 PM
:shifty Right after baby #3 was born I went through the girls' room while they were at Grandma's and took out FOUR big bins of stuffed animals, dolls and misc toys that they weren't really playing with. They didn't even seem to notice, but now DD is looking for her octopus! She hasn't played with it in a good year I think :scratch :jawdrop. I'm in trouble now.

Do I dig it out (the bins are in the basement still) or let it go? She's been looking for it all day.

Codi
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Awww...Hmm...that one is a head scratcher. Ds would totally do something like that.
:cup

swimming with sharks
12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd get it out after she was asleep...then tomorrow find it. If she's still looking for it. :shrug I wouldn't bring up that you had 4 boxes of stuff...

Jenny
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
My 6yo notices almost *everything* I declutter. Even stuff he hasn't played with in months- within a few days of removing it, he's asking where it is.

I'd get it out after she was asleep...then tomorrow find it. If she's still looking for it. :shrug I wouldn't bring up that you had 4 boxes of stuff...

I think that's what I'd do.

pastelsummer
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I would just tell them that you had to get rid of some stuff and thats where its at. My parents did that to us all the time. We got to many and they would clean them out and then tell us if we looked for something later

Epieikeia
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Since it's just one toy and she has been intent on looking for it--I would just grab it for her....one octopus isn't going to undo the 4 bins.....

illinoismommy
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I've had this problem too. I've put stuff away to get rid of later and then months later D will be looking for it. He has a memory like a steel trap. I have serious problems getting rid of stuff because he knows.

Heather Micaela
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Since it's just one toy and she has been intent on looking for it--I would just grab it for her....one octopus isn't going to undo the 4 bins.....

I agree. BUt this is why I (and not suggesting this is best for all) declutter in FRONT of them (Except for really junky things) I get some tears and we do some bargaining, but I dont want them to fear things will just disspear from them or that because they are kids they have no say.

ShangriLewis
12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
We pack toys away and only allow what they will clean up. If you are considering that, I would offer an exchange. She has to give you something for the octopus. If you plan to get rid of everything, I would just sneak it into her room when she is sleeping. What a fun surprise that would be for her!

MarynMunchkins
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Now I'd probably just find the one toy. For my one that notices and obsesses, I have her help declutter with me. She's done that since she was 4 or so. It's simpler in the long run. :)

Rabbit
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM
We rotate toys, so stuff is always coming and going, but not really gone unless it's broken or they have way aged out of it.

TraceMama
12-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Mine seem to have their toys catalogued too and would eventually remember that one of them was missing. :doh

You've been given some great advice already. :yes Like others, I'd probably just restore the missing octopus :)

Hope it goes well. :hugheart