PDA

View Full Version : laundromat prices?

ChristmasGirl
12-29-2008, 11:37 PM
so our washing machine isn't working (it fills up, but just clicks thru the cycle and never churns), and we don't have the $ to fix it right now. so i'm going to have to start going to the laundromat to wash our clothes, then bring them home to dry (we have a stackable).

anyway, what do you think is a reasonable price to be paying to wash a load? is 1.50 pretty average? just curious. it's been almost a decade since i've had to go to the laundromat, lol.

Can Dance
12-29-2008, 11:43 PM
always use the largest machine they have. always. its a front loader and can jam a lot of stuff into it. I charged 3.75 for mine and I think I remember something about 15lbs. :think but you can fill those as full as you can get and as long as you can shut the door, it works.
never use the machines that look like yours at home. they are not the best value for your money.
and if you really want, skip the drying completely. hang to save money.

Atarah
12-29-2008, 11:52 PM
always use the largest machine they have. always. its a front loader and can jam a lot of stuff into it. I charged 3.75 for mine and I think I remember something about 15lbs. :think but you can fill those as full as you can get and as long as you can shut the door, it works.
never use the machines that look like yours at home. they are not the best value for your money.
and if you really want, skip the drying completely. hang to save money.

:yes

I'd put all colors together on cold. I'd match textures, though - no really delicate stuff with heavy jeans, IYKWIM.

ChristmasGirl
12-29-2008, 11:56 PM
so do you need to have the "he" detergent to use the front loaders, or can you use regular liquid detergent?

Atarah
12-30-2008, 12:05 AM
This was 'back in the day' before many people had HE washers in their home, so I always used regular detergent - there's a 'dispenser' on the top of the machines to add detergent (and softener - if you use it ;)) I probably used the amount for a 'regular' top load, but it was MUCH more laundry than fits in a top loader. I don't think "HE" detergent was even available at the time. :giggle

Low sudsing is better for the front loaders - so if I were to do it now I'd use Charlie's or bi-o-kleen, or HE detergent. :)

HummusDip
12-30-2008, 01:10 AM
I agree, use the biggest machine they have and pack it FULL. Use the biggest dryer too, which mine always go by like each quarter gives 7 minutes or so. I was amazed that the big dryer dried everying in like 35mins!!

I usually don't take the time to go down there though and I pay 1.25 here at my apt for tiny washers and dryers that barely dry my clothes and usually never fully dry. :/

Grover
12-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Prepare yourself -The laundromat here cost £4a machine.Thats approximately $7-$8
Lastime I needed to use the laundromat It cost me £20 but I dried a couple of loads too