PDA

View Full Version : BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included) (Video added in OP)

Pages : [1] 2

blossomnatalia
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I have to share this!!!

I have been trying to make artisan loaves for EVER! As many of you know, it takes all day and for me at least it results into a.... bread hard as a stone. I end up wasting flour and time and am super disappointed at the end of it all.
I saw this article in "mother earth news" magazine http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx and I started to roll my eyes again.... yeah right! artisan bread in 5 minutes a day.... whatever!
Then I started reading.... and it intrigued me. It sounded exactly like the french recipes that I was used to read about in france but with no luck because the flour here is different. I tried it .... I have been making bread EVERY DAY ever since!!!!!!!!

This is a pic of the one from this morning:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/bread.jpg

I usually make 2 loaves a day.... and it litterally takes 5 minutes or less of active work.

Basically,
- you mix water, yeast, salt and flour in one big container. (don't knead)
- Put the lid on and let it rise for at least 2 hours (I do 3 hours)
- and then put in your fridge.

It will keep up to 2 weeks and whenever you want to make bread you just get out some dough and let rest on your counter for 40 minutes and then bake for 30 minutes.

Yes! That is it! I have had fresh baked bread for every meal for 3 weeks now. It has revolutionized my baking world! It rocks!

READ the article and try it out. I am going to get the book for other recipes.
I have tried it with white first and now am baking with whole wheat white. (they have a 100% whole wheat sandwich bread in there as well) they all follow the same principle of refrigerated dough!
:jump

ADDED: you tube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q

backtobasicsmum
12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
off to read!! :kiss

Epieikeia
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Wow...really?

I love, love, love to make bread...but I don't always have the time...this method is fantastic!!

I can't wait to try it!!

THANK YOU!!! :kiss :heart

Victorious
12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
:rockon

4MKfam
12-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Do you really *need* the pizza peel and the stone? I could do this, but I lack both pieces of equipment :(. Do you think it'd work on just a regular pizza pan (a vented one? I have one of those...) or a baking sheet?
Hmm... Maybe I need to go kitchen shopping :giggle. This sounds AWESOME! I would love to have home-baked bread all the time, but I've given up on a breadmaker (yuck! Couldn't get it to consistently work without being heavy or soggy), and while I do manage to make good bread the old-fashioned way, it's too time-consuming to do it regularly (okay, so I'm lazy :P).

TrinMama
12-29-2008, 02:16 PM
sounds awesome!!

Emerald Orchid
12-29-2008, 02:30 PM
You mean I could have bread like THAT with only 5 minutes a day?!?! :jawdrop

:jump2

Blue Savannah
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Perfect! Thank you!!! (My dh pointed out that article to me when the magazine came out, but. . . I didn't listen to him. :giggle)

Havilah
12-29-2008, 06:59 PM
:yum
:nak2

Katydid
12-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh, I'm totally trying this. :rockon

Embracing Grace
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
My friend and I have been using this book/method for a year now and we cannot LIVE without it! The bread is so easy to make, I can do it blindfolded. The only downer is that I end up eating a lot of delicious hot bread with butter.... which makes for some quick weight gain...

HummusDip
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM
subbing to read later

Happygrl
12-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks!! My DH really fell for making bread the past year. I'm going to save this for when he comes home in June. He has done great with regular breads but hasn't attempted artisinal breads yet.

Dandelion
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
:jawdrop exciting! :)

StrangeTraveller
12-30-2008, 06:00 AM
subbing..I'm all about easy bread (tho I do eat too much of it too :giggle )

monkeylicious
12-30-2008, 07:02 AM
i don't make bread because i don't like the effort involved :shifty i think i could do this :jawdrop
thank you for that link :rockon

RooMama
12-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I think I could do this!

blossomnatalia
12-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Do you really *need* the pizza peel and the stone? I could do this, but I lack both pieces of equipment :(. Do you think it'd work on just a regular pizza pan (a vented one? I have one of those...) or a baking sheet?
Hmm... Maybe I need to go kitchen shopping :giggle. This sounds AWESOME! I would love to have home-baked bread all the time, but I've given up on a breadmaker (yuck! Couldn't get it to consistently work without being heavy or soggy), and while I do manage to make good bread the old-fashioned way, it's too time-consuming to do it regularly (okay, so I'm lazy :P).

My MIL and my friend use a cutting board or a cookie sheet (without the edge) and it works fine for a pizza peel. The stone though might be pretty important for the crust. I never tried without it. I always bake with stone though.

I am very lazy when it comes to bread making and that is why this method is so great! There's barely any work!

If anybody makes some, make sure to take pics and share!!!

My friend and I have been using this book/method for a year now and we cannot LIVE without it! The bread is so easy to make, I can do it blindfolded. The only downer is that I end up eating a lot of delicious hot bread with butter.... which makes for some quick weight gain...

So cool!!! Isn't it the best????
What kind of bread do you make? what flour?

Embracing Grace
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh goodness, I think I've tried nearly everything in the book..... I use whatever unbleached white I find at the grocery store, and some brand of whole wheat I can't remember the name of (not much of an answer is that, huh?) With all the flour and dough stored in my fridge, I've considered getting a second one....

My friend really loves the pizza, and I absolutely love the challah. For sandwich bread I like the half and half version of whole wheat and white, but I do love the nutty and slightly bitter flavor of the 100%whole wheat. There are a few I haven't tried, like the American White (which I should get to). I get lazy sometimes. I just want to say that the carmel rolls made from the challah dough are absolutely to die for (and I won't even mention the brioche). I can't make them anymore, unless they are for other people! Actually, nowdays I just make the bread to give away because it's so fun... the neighbors love it. I can't justify making such quantities for our three person family...

Also, I don't use a pizza peel (I found a flat cookie sheet at Target that works just as well), but the stone is pretty essential. The stones are inexpensive though. Right now the cookie sheet is MIA, so I've been using a cutting board.

Herbwifemama
12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Pizza, challah, bread, wowowow! :jawdrop

I CAN"T believe this works! I must try it. I'm trying to read the article right now, but it's slow. :P~

I have a bit of AP left over from cookies, and half a bag of white whole wheat, I'll be trying this tomorrow! I have to admit I'm skeptical, but if it DOES work, I want the book!!

blossomnatalia
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
oh man! I forgot to talk about the pizza I have made with that dough :doh

Everyone I made pizza for was soooo impressed! Better than at any restaurant they said! you get all your toppings ready and get the dough out. Roll it out and bake for 10 minutes.....

quicker than frozen pizza and not even comparable in taste.

Oh goodness, I think I've tried nearly everything in the book..... I use whatever unbleached white I find at the grocery store, and some brand of whole wheat I can't remember the name of (not much of an answer is that, huh?) With all the flour and dough stored in my fridge, I've considered getting a second one....

My friend really loves the pizza, and I absolutely love the challah. For sandwich bread I like the half and half version of whole wheat and white, but I do love the nutty and slightly bitter flavor of the 100%whole wheat. There are a few I haven't tried, like the American White (which I should get to). I get lazy sometimes. I just want to say that the carmel rolls made from the challah dough are absolutely to die for (and I won't even mention the brioche). I can't make them anymore, unless they are for other people! Actually, nowdays I just make the bread to give away because it's so fun... the neighbors love it. I can't justify making such quantities for our three person family...

Also, I don't use a pizza peel (I found a flat cookie sheet at Target that works just as well), but the stone is pretty essential. The stones are inexpensive though. Right now the cookie sheet is MIA, so I've been using a cutting board.

thank you for sharing! I really need to get the book now that the master recipe is working for me :rockon

Herbwifemama
12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
thank you for sharing! I really need to get the book now that the master recipe is working for me :rockon

did it take you a while to get it?

blossomnatalia
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM

did it take you a while to get it?

oh no!!!! first try!( I guess that was a wierd way to say that)>>>>>> second language! :sillygrin
and believe me,... I was ready to waste flour..... :phew but nope! it is that easy...I think it would be really hard to mess up!

Herbwifemama
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Cool! :) :rockon

rootsong
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I have GOT to get myself a baking stone! It's been on my list for quite some time. I get Mother Earth News myself & put that recipe aside because it sounds so awesome. Your picture is fabulous, what delicious looking bread!! I grind all our wheat & make all our breads/pizzas/crackers, etc from scratch. :) Thanks for sharing your pics! I need to try some of that bread!

Mother of Sons
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Can someone explain this part in kindergarten terms?

Sprinkle the surface of the dough with flour, then cut off a 1-pound (grapefruit-sized) piece with a serrated knife. Hold the mass of dough in your hands and add a little more flour as needed so it won’t stick to your hands. Gently stretch the surface of the dough around to the bottom on four “sides,” rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go, until the bottom is a collection of four bunched ends. Most of the dusting flour will fall off; it doesn’t need to be incorporated. The bottom of the loaf will flatten out during resting and baking.

Herbwifemama
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I hope blossomnatalia will chime in, since she's actually done it, but what I think they mean is to dust the dough with flour, and form a ball by folding the dough under. I wish I could just show you. :doh

blossomnatalia
12-31-2008, 06:47 AM
I hope blossomnatalia will chime in, since she's actually done it, but what I think they mean is to dust the dough with flour, and form a ball by folding the dough under. I wish I could just show you. :doh

Yeah that is it... you are just making a ball and stretching the "top" of it and collecting the ends at the bottom... oh man! it is very easy to do it is just hard to explain. But basically you are just forming the ball with stretching the dough gently not patting it or kneading it but "opening up" the dough.

I hope this helps... It would be cool if I could do a video :giggle

Herbwifemama
12-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Natalia, your bread is dazzling me... I'm just about to go mix up some dough right now, and if it turns out, I'll take a pic and post it. If it doesn't, I'm not posting a pic of my failure. :giggle

monkeylicious
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
my library has the book! i just put it on hold - all copies are currently out

blossomnatalia
12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Natalia, your bread is dazzling me... I'm just about to go mix up some dough right now, and if it turns out, I'll take a pic and post it. If it doesn't, I'm not posting a pic of my failure. :giggle

Remember that it works better if it has been refrigerated for at least 3 hours. I usually mix up my batch and then make bread the next day.

BTW, I do the 6-3-3-13 proportion. 6 cups of water, 3 Tbsp of yeast, 3 Tbsp of salt and 13 cups of flour. It makes enough for 8 small loaves and we eat that up in a week.... :shifty
The amount for a loaf is about the same amount for a very good sized pizza.

blossomnatalia
12-31-2008, 11:12 AM
my library has the book! i just put it on hold - all copies are currently out

ooohhh I did not think about the library!!! Great idea!!!

Heather R
12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm totally going to try this! I'll let you know how it goes.

Heather R
01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Ok, now that I'm part way through the process, I have some questions...

1) How big of a bowl/container did you use for the 6-3-3-13 recipe? I used my largest mixing bowl, and it was too small.
2)How mixed is the initial mixture supposed to be? Mine was very hard to mix (probably partly because the bowl was too small), and so it is still kind of lumpy...? Is that ok? Could you take a picture of your dough before and after the initial 2-3 hour rise?
3) The loaf you posted a picture of looks like whole wheat... Do I need to change the recipe to use ww flour?

My first loaf should be ready in an hour or so... I'll let you know how it turns out...

Heather

iplsmama
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
You know it doesn't bother us because we are used to it but our bread was very sourdoughy. Did you have that problem?? I don't guess it's a problem but my friends came over the night I made homemade pizza and they couldn't eat it it was so sour. I thought it was delicious :giggle. Anyone have any suggestions??

rstump
01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I made the dough yesterday and we had 2 loaves at dinner tonight.

It was really wet dough. I couldn't even shape it at all....it was a wet glob that spread out on the cutting board when it let it rest. I had to pick it up and slop it on to the stone. It stlll tasted pretty good. I made 2 loaves and only have enough for a tiny loaf left. Not sure how big the loaves should be but we definitely at the 2 loaves I made at dinner tonight. I can't wait to get the book and try some of the other recipes. I thought this was good but a bit bland....I am looking forward to some Challah!

Herbwifemama
01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I made two loaves today, and it was yummy! Very crisp crust, and moist inside!

But mine sort of had a weird flying saucer shape. :scratch And I thought I practically cut through the whole loaf, but I didn't seem to make any slashes at all when the bread was baked. :scratch No pics, cause I didn't like the look. :P~

Mother of Sons
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I've got the dough sitting right now. Mine is not wet at all. It's very dry. :scratch

knitlove
01-02-2009, 06:50 AM
It was really wet dough. I couldn't even shape it at all....it was a wet glob that spread out on the cutting board when it let it rest. I

I've got the dough sitting right now. Mine is not wet at all. It's very dry. :scratch

I would like to know what kind of flour you were using and how humid it is in your region. I know I have had to adjust my bread recipes a lot going from a swamp south of Houstion to Atlanta which feels really dry to me.

rstump
01-02-2009, 07:25 AM
It was really wet dough. I couldn't even shape it at all....it was a wet glob that spread out on the cutting board when it let it rest. I

I would like to know what kind of flour you were using and how humid it is in your region. I know I have had to adjust my bread recipes a lot going from a swamp south of Houstion to Atlanta which feels really dry to me.

I used unbleached white but we live in FL so it is very humid. :) I will try adding more flour next time.

Yuliana
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Does it have instructions on how to make regular french bread?

Oh and where you able to eat that one or was it hard as stone? :shifty

mamaKristin
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I started mine last night. I had a big whoops though. I wanted to start by doing half of the recipe....and forgot to half the flour. :doh :doh :doh I think I'll let the bread rise a bit longer before baking and see if I can salvage it, because I'm almost out of white flour. :/

blossomnatalia
01-02-2009, 09:32 AM
(Yasmel and mamakristin we posted at the same time.... I am answering other post here)

Well, I think if you truly measure like they say it should be pretty wet BUT they do tell you to be generous with the dusting flour when you shape it... and I think it helps. But I have done several batches and some were wet and some were dryer. I like it on the dryer side because it is esier to put in the oven. But this recipe is supposed to be freeform .... it changes shapes for me all the time from a "boule" to a more oval shape...

I am sorry I forgot to mention where I store my dough :O....
this is a pic of what I mix it in and let it rise in and store it in. (less cleaning and much easier)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/doughcontainer.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/doughrising.jpg

It is advertised as an airtight container but I do not "lock" it all the way I just close 2 sides. Maybe those who have a VERY wet dough have a container too airtight. You want a lid but not airtight. :shrug

And this is another pic of loaves I had made early on:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/2loaves.jpg

Those I think were unbleached white. The one in OP is whole wheat white.

blossomnatalia
01-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I started mine last night. I had a big whoops though. I wanted to start by doing half of the recipe....and forgot to half the flour. :doh :doh :doh I think I'll let the bread rise a bit longer before baking and see if I can salvage it, because I'm almost out of white flour. :/

OH MAN!!!! :doh
I hope you can salvage it!!!
Does it have instructions on how to make regular french bread?

Oh and where you able to eat that one or was it hard as stone? :shifty

I am sure it does in the book... though I don't know for sure. I don't have it yet.

HEmomma
01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Has anyone tried this G/F?

blossomnatalia
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
You know it doesn't bother us because we are used to it but our bread was very sourdoughy. Did you have that problem?? I don't guess it's a problem but my friends came over the night I made homemade pizza and they couldn't eat it it was so sour. I thought it was delicious :giggle. Anyone have any suggestions??

they do say that it is a "lazy" sourdough method... the more you let it stay in the fridge the more taste it will have. I love it.

I think you might have to change friends.... keep the dough :shifty :giggle

April G
01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Yum! I have always wanted to learn how to make bread, and this method sounds right up my alley as I don't have tons of time (the one thing that held me back!). Gonna see if I can find the book... :tu

souporrfly
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
:rockon I totally want to try to make the Naan

Naked Camper
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
another bag of flour is on my grocery list for today :shifty
:yum I love making bread

Mother of Sons
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM

I used unbleached flour and it is below freezing here so not really humid. After sitting for a few hours, it did get wetter though.

Mother of Sons
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Also wanted to say this recipe reminds me of my french bread recipe. The only difference is that it has a tiny bit of shortning in it.

CakeLady
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I love making bread and this one sounds interesting. Can't wait to read more...

Thanks for sharing.

Lady TS
01-02-2009, 02:30 PM
subbing

mamaKristin
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Well, I messed up the yeast and salt amounts, because in my head I was doing half of the recipe (but put in all the flour and water :doh)...it still turned out nicely! My kids loved the bread, and my DH was really impressed with the taste. Then again, I always make whole wheat bread, and my middle child was so excited to have "white cake bread" for lunch. :giggle

blossomnatalia
01-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, I messed up the yeast and salt amounts, because in my head I was doing half of the recipe (but put in all the flour and water :doh)...it still turned out nicely! My kids loved the bread, and my DH was really impressed with the taste. Then again, I always make whole wheat bread, and my middle child was so excited to have "white cake bread" for lunch. :giggle

YEAH! It seems really hard to mess up! :phew
I know we NEVER eat white bread here and believe me, everybody LOVED my pizza!!! :giggle

JessicaNichole
01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
ah! i just saw this! i am so gonna try to make this bread this weekend. there is nothing better then fresh bread with butter! oh man i am hungry just thinking about it!

Mother of Sons
01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I messed it up I think. It's crispy on the outside but really doughy on the inside and it's pretty sour. Not horribly, but enough that I don't really care for it. Teeny teeny loaves too.

NoodleMom
01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
That looks so good. I think that even I could throw that together.
I read the article. :rockon What recipe did you use?and did you use a round pan?

K

hopeforchange
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
i bought yeast today and will try this soon. :yes

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I am going to try this... I just need to get a stone, can you get them at Target or something?

mamaKristin
01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't have a stone (kicking myself for missing Pampered Chef's sale), and just used a cookie sheet. :O

rstump
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Did someone answer how large of a container you need for the big mix?

I used a 5 qt bowl for the main recipe....but it totally bubbled over the side. I had to use an even bigger bowl.

I am thinking a 1 gallon bucket. I have those that I get grains in.

Naked Camper
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
a cookie sheet would totally work :)

The 1 gallon bucket sounds like a good idea.

I know when I do this, I'll be doing 1/2 batch :yes I don't have the fridge room for a full batch :no

Heather R
01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Our first two loaves have been great! Tomorrow I will try making pizza with the dough. I want to use it up fairly soon, before it gets too "sour-dough" tasting, as we don't really like that flavour. I may do half batches in the future, we'll see...

Heather

blossomnatalia
01-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah ... I did not think about people not liking the sour dough taste :giggle... I love bread with character just like my cheese :lol

BHope
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't have a stone (kicking myself for missing Pampered Chef's sale), and just used a cookie sheet. :O
How did it come out? I don't have a stone either and it's not in the budget for this pay period. I'd like to try it though and would love to hear about how yours did.

mamaKristin
01-02-2009, 11:00 PM
It came out well. It might be better with a stone, but it seemed to be just fine on the cookie sheet. :yes

Herbwifemama
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
O. M. G.- the pizza crust was SOOOO good tonight! The best I've ever made! I am NEVER making pizza another way again- this was perfect. It wasn't so pretty, but it tasted just right. YUMMY. Thin and crispy, but with a slight chewy interior. And it WAS faster than a frozen pizza! :jawdrop

CapeTownMommy
01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
My first batch of dough is waiting to be used. 3 more hours to lunchtime - yum! I don't have a stone though, so will use a cookie sheet. We'll see how it turns out, I'm really excited!

blossomnatalia
01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
O. M. G.- the pizza crust was SOOOO good tonight! The best I've ever made! I am NEVER making pizza another way again- this was perfect. It wasn't so pretty, but it tasted just right. YUMMY. Thin and crispy, but with a slight chewy interior. And it WAS faster than a frozen pizza! :jawdrop

That is the best pizza dough!

My first batch of dough is waiting to be used. 3 more hours to lunchtime - yum! I don't have a stone though, so will use a cookie sheet. We'll see how it turns out, I'm really excited!

:jump

CapeTownMommy
01-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Oh. My. Word.

This was simply too good to believe. I can't believe I can make bread like this! And I didn't have a baking sheet, and I used instant yeast (it was all I had), I thought for sure it would be OK but not perfect. But it was phenomenal!!!

So Natalia, tell me how you get yours textured like in the pic you posted? Mine was just dome-shaped, with no texture on the crust. Tasted FANTASTIC but I'd like to make it prettier, KWIM?

jojola
01-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Thank you!!! I have it sitting on the counter right now, ready to go in the fridge and bake tomorrow!!

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks, I'll try the cookie sheet until I can get a stone :)

BHope
01-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks, I'll try the cookie sheet until I can get a stone :)
I can't wait to get mine started. :jump

rstump
01-03-2009, 07:35 AM
I ordered the book but I also found the challah recipe on line...I am going to start a W- WW BIG batch today and a challah batch...so excited.

CakeLady
01-03-2009, 08:33 AM
So Natalia, tell me how you get yours textured like in the pic you posted? Mine was just dome-shaped, with no texture on the crust. Tasted FANTASTIC but I'd like to make it prettier, KWIM?

I'm not Natalia, but I know that I cut slight hash marks with a knife in my bread before rising....it looks pretty and gives it room to rise.

MaiMama
01-03-2009, 08:36 AM
subbing. hoping to try this today.

blossomnatalia
01-03-2009, 11:11 AM

I'm not Natalia, but I know that I cut slight hash marks with a knife in my bread before rising....it looks pretty and gives it room to rise.

Yes, did you slash the dough like they tell you to?
This is a quote of #8:

8. Dust the top of the loaf liberally with flour, which will allow the slashing, serrated knife to pass without sticking. Slash a 1⁄4-inch-deep cross, scallop or tick-tack-toe pattern into the top. (This helps the bread expand during baking.)

If you did that and it did not do anything ... I don't know, your dough might have been too wet but I still think it should work some.

blossomnatalia
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
By the way,

I am so happy this is working for so many of you! :heart
I am really so happy I found this. :giggle

BHope
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I picked up some salt at Costco today (I was out) and decided to stock up on flour. I want to do this as soon as the girls go down for naps but am having anxiety about the fact that A) I don't own a stone, B) I don't know if I own a container big enough to store the dough, and C) I worry that I will successfully ruin what appears to be a rather fool-proof bread. :nails I wish someone had step by step pictures. Our library doesn't have the book and I'm too broke to buy it. :shifty

Atarah
01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
:cup

Naked Camper
01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I picked up some salt at Costco today (I was out) and decided to stock up on flour. I want to do this as soon as the girls go down for naps but am having anxiety about the fact that A) I don't own a stone, B) I don't know if I own a container big enough to store the dough, and C) I worry that I will successfully ruin what appears to be a rather fool-proof bread. :nails I wish someone had step by step pictures. Our library doesn't have the book and I'm too broke to buy it. :shifty

Manda - I'll take pics as I'm doing it this afternoon :wink

mamaKristin
01-03-2009, 12:13 PM

I'd take pictures, Manda...but my family just ATE the rest of the bread :doh I'm going to make more on Monday, after our open house party tomorrow. :) I can do pics then if you need it.

BHope
01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah! Pictures would be wonderful. :tu

Herbwifemama
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
So do you slash the bread before it "rests", or right before you put it in the oven?

Naked Camper
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
before putting in the oven

I have pics and a video uploading right now - will post as soon as they're online

Herbwifemama
01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Ok, that's what I did, and it didn't "slash" :scratch

BHope
01-03-2009, 03:20 PM

I have pics and a video uploading right now - will post as soon as they're online
Oh my! PM me the link if the board closes before you get it posted to GCM. :rockon

poleidopy
01-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh my! PM me the link if the board closes before you get it posted to GCM. :rockon
me too!

April G
01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I was reading the Mother Earth News mag that I got for Christmas and just realized this recipe is in my issue. :doh

Naked Camper
01-03-2009, 03:32 PM
pic tutorial
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=210503.0

blossomnatalia
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, that's what I did, and it didn't "slash" :scratch

That is wierd... :scratch Do you know for sure that your oven is at the right temp when you put it in? Mine takes about 10 minutes to preheat and it is an acubake. It really helps that you oven is really HOT when you put it in so that it rises right away and that the marks that you made "open" up. The water is just for crisp factor but the temp is very important.

For those who thought that their bread was too doughy inside... I noticed that too on some loaves but I think it was because I did not let it cool off all the way. Bread keeps "baking" until it is completely cooled down and usually I get too impatient and start slicing it a few minutes into this phase. They don't mention that in the magazine but that is just my experience with other bread recipes from France.
Just a thought...

I was reading the Mother Earth News mag that I got for Christmas and just realized this recipe is in my issue. :doh

hehehe...

Kazimiera
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I think I might try this on Monday - guess I gotta get some more flour :D

RooMama
01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Do you do anything differently if you use whole wheat flour? (I like to pretend I make healthy stuff.)

blossomnatalia
01-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Do you do anything differently if you use whole wheat flour? (I like to pretend I make healthy stuff.)

Well I have been using the WW white but I have been scared to use the regular ww because I usually mess up stuff like that.
That is why I want the book because I know they have 100% ww bread recipes in their..

Hermana Linda
01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Well I have been using the WW white but I have been scared to use the regular ww because I usually mess up stuff like that.
That is why I want the book because I know they have 100% ww bread recipes in their..

He has the recipe for 100 Percent Whole-Wheat Sandwich Bread on page 6. (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx?page=6) :)

Naked Camper
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
My bread turned out AMAZING this afternoon!! :yum

Herbwifemama
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I have enough for one loaf, and it's only been 3 or 4 days. I'm kind of wanting to wait for it to turn into sourdoughish flavor, but we're having pizza tomorrow anyway. :shifty :giggle

I REALLY want the challah recipe, does anyone have it? By Friday? :shifty

BHope
01-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Okay, mine came out AMAZING. Even with the slightly over-cooked (aka burnt) top. (I put it in the oven and proceeded to get sick with a stomach bug. I called Dh home from church and spent the next half an hour just sitting in the shower. Meanwhile my bread got really toasty. lol.) As soon as I get pictures uploaded I'll share.

A note for those who were scared like me:
1 - It is totally possible to do this without a stone and a paddle and have it be really fantastic.
2 - It helps to have the right measuring utensils, but if all you can find is a 1/2 teaspoon and a liquid measuring container, then by all means, do it! It's worth measuring out a bajillion little 1/2 teaspoons of salt and yeast just to have the dough ready.
3 - It may feel complicated and intimidating to mix (and not knead!) the bread, but it really is super simple and despite any personal doubts you may have, the dough will rise.
4 - The dough tastes saltier than it does once it's cooked. I was really apprehensive about the lack of sugar to balance the salt and wondered if I was going to end up with play dough tasting artisan bread. I was very pleasantly surprised that the dough is not in the least as salty as I thought it would be.

waterbaby
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Oohh, I must try this. I've never attempted any bread at all! I'm a muffin girl, myself. But this sounds awesome!

Bonnie
01-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Kristin, if I chicken out before then, will you make me try this next month? :shifty

BHope
01-04-2009, 11:55 PM
My bread (crispy tips and all.)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/3169184301_080fda6c23.jpg?v=0

blossomnatalia
01-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Oooh B Hope!! beautiful bread, beautiful crust! It looks yummy. :yum

blossomnatalia
01-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I have enough for one loaf, and it's only been 3 or 4 days. I'm kind of wanting to wait for it to turn into sourdoughish flavor, but we're having pizza tomorrow anyway. :shifty :giggle

I REALLY want the challah recipe, does anyone have it? By Friday? :shifty

If no one has it yet ... (I just ordered the book last night!!!) here is the recipe for challah I have used successfully in the past (it is a video):

http://www.beliefnet.com/Video/Faiths/Judaism/Faith-in-the-Family/Meredith-Jacobs-How-To-Bake-Challah.aspx

It is not refridgerated dough but if you have the time on friday you could make it ;). My girls LOVE making Challah. :heart

BHope
01-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Oooh B Hope!! beautiful bread, beautiful crust! It looks yummy. :yum

Thanks. :D

Heather R
01-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, I think I will declare our first batch a success. We made 2 loaves of bread that were very yummy, 2 pizzas, and a batch of cinnamon rolls. I also made another loaf of bread that wasn't very good, but that is because the bowl I had used was too small to stir it well when I first made it, and this was all the "unstirred" dough at the bottom... yuck.

I'm having trouble finding a big enough container... I checked Zellers, Walmart, Canadian Tire... Frustrating! Until I find one, I guess I'll stick to making half batches.

I made a new batch last night, but I don't know if I lost track of my cups of flour or what, but it was really dry... So I added more water until it looked like the pictures in the tutorial... We'll see if this batch turns out.

Heather

RooMama
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
My dough is rising! I'm so excited, so far it was super easy!

NoodleMom
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
So when forming it into the loaf instead of using a loaf pan you form it on a cookie sheet so the loaf is round?

CakeLady
01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm having trouble finding a big enough container... I checked Zellers, Walmart, Canadian Tire... Frustrating! Until I find one, I guess I'll stick to making half batches.

Heather

I found some 6qt rubbermaid commercial kitchen food storage containers at Sam's club. They are square, so I'm hoping they take up less room than my big circle ones. Any...try Sams...they have a lot of stuff like that.

blossomnatalia
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
So when forming it into the loaf instead of using a loaf pan you form it on a cookie sheet so the loaf is round?

yeah, i actually use a pizza peel. It makes it easy to just stick it in the oven.

NoodleMom
01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
:ty4
Im going to try it soon.

Punkie
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I have some going in the fridge right now :grin I ordered the book from Amazon with a gift certificate that my little bro bought me for Christmas.

TrinMama
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
YUM. I made my first loaf earlier and I'm baking another now. Are they supposed to be so small?

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I made some yesterday and it was great :)

I requested the book from the library and today my grandma gave me a pizza stone I can use (I'll just have be careful putting the bread in the oven) also I am going to try using the dough hook on my mixer and see how that does.

I am so excited about this!

CakeLady
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I requested the book from the library and today my grandma gave me a pizza stone I can use (I'll just have be careful putting the bread in the oven) also I am going to try using the dough hook on my mixer and see how that does.!

I have some going in the fridge right now :grin I ordered the book from Amazon with a gift certificate that my little bro bought me for Christmas.

Y'all will have to give us a book review!

blossomnatalia
01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
(I'll just have be careful putting the bread in the oven)

Now, I would not put the dough to rest on the stone and then put it in the oven.... Is that what you mean? Because the stone then will be cold and you want it in the oven when preheating as well as the broiler pan.
If that is not what you meant.. just disregard my comment. :O

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
(I'll just have be careful putting the bread in the oven)

Now, I would not put the dough to rest on the stone and then put it in the oven.... Is that what you mean? Because the stone then will be cold and you want it in the oven when preheating as well as the broiler pan.
If that is not what you meant.. just disregard my comment. :O

Yep, I was saying be careful b/c of the stone being so hot :) and I don't have one of those... uh, forgot what they are called :O But I'll use a cookie sheet or something. Thank you for making sure I was going to do it correct! :heart

Kazimiera
01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
so I totally did not have time today, but I was wondering is there something else I can use other than corn meal (my eldest has behavioral reactions to corn) to keep it from sticking? If not I might just bake it on my baking stone and hope for the best as far as sticking goes.

Naked Camper
01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
so I totally did not have time today, but I was wondering is there something else I can use other than corn meal (my eldest has behavioral reactions to corn) to keep it from sticking? If not I might just bake it on my baking stone and hope for the best as far as sticking goes.

crisco?

blossomnatalia
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM

I just use flouron my pizza peel... I never have corn meal. The bread will not stick on your stone... :no

Heather R
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Ditto. I just use flour as well.

Heather

MaiMama
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I have dough rising now! I'm glad to know I can just use flour.

For those of you getting the book, you are going to have to give us all the whole wheat recipe--paraphrased, of course. So exciting!

Hermana Linda
01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
The whole wheat recipe is on the webpge. Page 6, if I recall correctly.

rstump
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM

I made a new batch last night, but I don't know if I lost track of my cups of flour or what, but it was really dry... So I added more water until it looked like the pictures in the tutorial... We'll see if this batch turns out.

Heather

I just got 2-2.5 gal plastic rubbermaid containers at walmart tonight. They are more rectangle shaped than a bowl but I think they will still work for a big batch. I found a blog with the challah recipe on it. My book is ordered but not here yet.

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2008/01/13/challah/

blossomnatalia
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I forgot to mention how big this container is: 9.5 QT (38 cups) and the brand is "Lock and Lock" Found it at my grocery store...
It is PERFECT for this. It rises just to the top and then because of its shape it is convenient for storage in the fridge.

(Yasmel and mamakristin we posted at the same time.... I am answering other post here)

Well, I think if you truly measure like they say it should be pretty wet BUT they do tell you to be generous with the dusting flour when you shape it... and I think it helps. But I have done several batches and some were wet and some were dryer. I like it on the dryer side because it is esier to put in the oven. But this recipe is supposed to be freeform .... it changes shapes for me all the time from a "boule" to a more oval shape...

I am sorry I forgot to mention where I store my dough :O....
this is a pic of what I mix it in and let it rise in and store it in. (less cleaning and much easier)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/doughcontainer.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/doughrising.jpg

It is advertised as an airtight container but I do not "lock" it all the way I just close 2 sides. Maybe those who have a VERY wet dough have a container too airtight. You want a lid but not airtight. :shrug

And this is another pic of loaves I had made early on:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/blossomnatalia/2loaves.jpg

Those I think were unbleached white. The one in OP is whole wheat white.

BHope
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I was wondering what size of container that was. I LOVE lock and lock and hope to get one that size to use. Right now I'm improvising. (It's working though! I just used some dough for our pizza tonight. Yum!)

Heather R
01-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I just got 2-2.5 gal plastic rubbermaid containers at walmart tonight. They are more rectangle shaped than a bowl but I think they will still work for a big batch. I found a blog with the challah recipe on it. My book is ordered but not here yet.

Do you think regular Rubbermaids are "food safe"? I was concerned about what was in the plastic.

Heather R
01-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I forgot to mention how big this container is: 9.5 QT (38 cups) and the brand is "Lock and Lock" Found it at my grocery store...
It is PERFECT for this. It rises just to the top and then because of its shape it is convenient for storage in the fridge.

Thanks! I'll keep looking. :-) I'm in Canada, so sometimes availability is limited.

mamaKristin
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Can't remember where in Canada you are, but I found Lock and Lock containers like Natalia's at London Drugs. Walmart might have them too, IIRC.

RooMama
01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I formed my first loaf and am waiting to pre-heat the oven. (we need a giddy with excitement smiley)

Mert
01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm :heart ing this thread!! I'm so glad that everyone is sharing the experiences (and fears) about making the bread. I use a bread machine but have never done anything free form like this. :ty4

Questions:
What is the consistency of your dough just after mixing before the rise? I was expecting something kinda sticky and wet, but mine is dense and firm like playdough (I'm using King Arthur bread flour... I wonder how that effects it. :think )

Also, has anyone used freshly milled wheat in their recipe? I'd love to hear how that went... if you had to make any changes, if your results were the same as what we've seen here. According to the book, it won't make as nice a crust (bummer).

RooMama
01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
:yum CAN'T. STOP. EATING!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather R
01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Can't remember where in Canada you are, but I found Lock and Lock containers like Natalia's at London Drugs. Walmart might have them too, IIRC.

Thanks, I'll check London Drugs. Walmart had Lock and Locks, but only smaller sizes (or a HUGE size, like with wheels (!) intended for heavy amounts of cat food, etc. I almost bought it anyways, but it was $30).

For now I'm just doing half batches, and that is ok...

Atarah
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to start a batch tomorrow with fresh milled flour. I'll let you know how it turns out. :grin

*know* PP (#5) plastic containers are food safe, and (generally) non-leaching. But I could not get myself to purchase the 2.5 gallon squarish PP container today. I walked out with a 2 gallon glass jar. :giggle I will need to move a shelf in my fridge to get it to fit, but I'm o.k. with that. :grin

CrunchySeaSalt
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah ... I did not think about people not liking the sour dough taste :giggle... I love bread with character just like my cheese :lol

I LOVE sourdough! I like the sharp flavour of it as well as sharp cheeses too :)

CakeLady
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm going to start a batch tomorrow with fresh milled flour. I'll let you know how it turns out. :grin

I'm totally interested too since I usually grind my wheat for bread.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Tonight I used the stone and the house got so smokey, it was awful. I had to pull the bread out take the stone outside and finish the bread on a cookie sheet. Maybe something was wrong w/ the stone? Anyway, it still turned out great.

I had a couple questions, are all of you putting the cup of water in the broiler pan at the bottom of the stove like it says?

and what is the best way to store the bread? We cannot always eat it all in one day, I was thinking just a ziploc bag or something?? Or maybe foil, I dunno?

blossomnatalia
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
that sounds wierd... something must have been wrong with the stone :think...

I do put the water in the broiler because it helps to make it crusty.

I leave the bread out.... like I did in France because I don't like "soft" bread.... I can't stand the way in turns out in a ziplock and we def eat it all the next day.

Herbwifemama
01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
My stone was all smokey too. I think it's from oils being on the stone. I figure they'll all smoke off eventually, if I keep using the stone. :shrug

I made more today, and this time, I used all white whole wheat, since it's all I have. White whole wheat doesn't have any white flour in it, it's a different kind of wheat than the regular whole wheat that just makes a lighter loaf in general.

blossomnatalia
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
My stone was all smokey too. I think it's from oils being on the stone. I figure they'll all smoke off eventually, if I keep using the stone. :shrug

I made more today, and this time, I used all white whole wheat, since it's all I have. White whole wheat doesn't have any white flour in it, it's a different kind of wheat than the regular whole wheat that just makes a lighter loaf in general.

that is what I have been using for my last 3 batches....

Mert
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I walked out with a 2 gallon glass jar. :giggle I will need to move a shelf in my fridge to get it to fit, but I'm o.k. with that. :grin

Where did you find such a big glass container?? Does it have a wide mouth? That's what I was hoping to find. :yes

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Thank you!

What if you want to bring someone a loaf, what is the best thing to wrap it in (of course I would bring it the same day I made it) Sorry so many questions :O

Tonight I am making pizza!!

Quiteria
01-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Wow! Forget the breadmachine I was looking at!

CakeLady
01-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Okay, I've been holding off making this cuz we weren't having something for dinner that a loaf of bread would go with...but I can't wait any longer. We are going out tonight cuz DH's Aunt is town, but I'm making it anyway. DD and I can snack on it, then I could make pizza for lunch tomorrow or something.

Wish me luck!!!!

Naked Camper
01-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Thank you!

What if you want to bring someone a loaf, what is the best thing to wrap it in (of course I would bring it the same day I made it) Sorry so many questions :O

Tonight I am making pizza!!

probably plastic wrap or foil - I would let it cool completely before wrapping though

Kazimiera
01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
I have my dough rising on top of my oven. So I guess I will see how it looks in a couple hours. I will make a loaf today and see how it goes. I started with the whole wheat even though the thing said to do the "basic" recipe first. I just so much prefer whole wheat bread.

blossomnatalia
01-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Thank you!

I would just wrap it in a cloth in a basket but that is my style or carry it in a small cloth bag.(that i would take back home with me of course)

In france when you buy your bread there is just a tiny piece of paper in the middle so that you can hold it but sometimes, nothing at all. I guess they are not concerned about bread being handle like here. And i guess it stuck with me. We put the bread on the table too when we eat instead of the plate and I have had some looks :jawdrop when doing so over here :giggle

Blue Savannah
01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
How big a container does this bread need for storage in the fridge? I'd like to use glass, but. . . I'm not sure if I can find something big enough.

blossomnatalia
01-07-2009, 08:01 AM
How big a container does this bread need for storage in the fridge? I'd like to use glass, but. . . I'm not sure if I can find something big enough.

For the 6-3-3-13 recipe, I use a rectangular "lock and clock" container that measures 9.5 quart and it is perfect.
Read back a few pages and many talk about the kind of containers they found that works for them.

Soliloquy
01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
that is so amazing!!!!

Now if only I could make whole-grain sourdough this easily . . . anyone have a 5-minute sourdough recipe? :P~

Blue Savannah
01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Because it's refrigerated, plastic wouldn't be such a concern, right? I did see your container pic, and it looked great!

As soon as my fridge is not packed with snacks for the midwives ;) I will have to start this. :heart :heart :heart I ordered the book from Amazon, too.

Naked Camper
01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
:giggle who knew you'd start a GCM bread revolution Natalia!! :P~ :rockon

Heather R
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Yay! The book is in at the library! We're off to go get it today...

Heather

rstump
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Do you think regular Rubbermaids are "food safe"? I was concerned about what was in the plastic.

It is a food containers...not a storage container. :) It has the lid that lock on the bottom of the container...It was just the largest size. 2.5 gal.

blossomnatalia
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
that is so amazing!!!!

Now if only I could make whole-grain sourdough this easily . . . anyone have a 5-minute sourdough recipe? :P~

This is kind of a "lasy" sourdough recipe the more batches you make the more sourdoughy it gets. They tell you to scrape the remaining of your dough when you run out and add that to the new batch.
And like I said, I use the ww white and it works fine.

Yay! The book is in at the library! We're off to go get it today...

Heather

I can't wait to get mine!!!

:giggle who knew you'd start a GCM bread revolution Natalia!! :P~ :rockon

I know! That is what it has been for me! A revolution!
The first thing I thought of when I tried it out was "i have GOT to share this with the GCM mamas.... :lol

MaiMama
01-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh my Goodness! This is the most delicious thing I've ever made!

All we want to eat for lunch is this bread!

Thank you, Natalia! I'll have to find some whole wheat white, because if we're going to eat this much of it, whole grain would be a *real* good thing.

For pizza, I've heard you can use the master recipe, but just roll it out. Do you roll it before you slide it onto the stone? Or roll hunched over the oven? Oh, before I guess, if you're supposed to put ingredients on it. :doh I may have to wait for a pizza peel. I had to shove and reshape the loaf when I tried to use my plastic cutting board. :hmm This is so exciting! It's SO much better than machine bread, but I never would have tried it if I hadn't tried that first. Such Fun!

blossomnatalia
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah pizza is even easier and faster because you don't let the dough rest. Just get your toppings ready (because you want to work fast) and get the dough out and roll it out (I toss it up in the air too to help it stretch) and then when it is big enough, put it on the pizza peel and add your toppings and put in the oven for 10 minutes on super high (as high as your oven will go)....

And...Tada.!!!... the best pizza you've ever had!!!

Atarah
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I walked out with a 2 gallon glass jar. :giggle I will need to move a shelf in my fridge to get it to fit, but I'm o.k. with that. :grin

Where did you find such a big glass container?? Does it have a wide mouth? That's what I was hoping to find. :yes

I bought it at walmart. It's round, very heavy glass. It's more of a 'storage container' like you'd expect in an old fashioned candy store. The opening is almost as wide as the jar. The only 'con' is the lid is pretty tall - it's glass with a knob shaped handle formed in the glass.

This jar: (but it was @ $12 at walmart)
http://www.nextag.com/Anchor-Hocking-Glass-Jar-62695947/prices-html

Soliloquy
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
that is so amazing!!!!

This is kind of a "lasy" sourdough recipe the more batches you make the more sourdoughy it gets. They tell you to scrape the remaining of your dough when you run out and add that to the new batch.
And like I said, I use the ww white and it works fine.

I only skimmed the article, but did you use commercial yeast? I want to make sourdough w/ wild yeast. I'm going to see if our library has the book, regardless. I'm sure I can learn some tips from it. I just *love* chewy artisan bread! :yum

Kazimiera
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
my bread turned out super yummy! It is nice and heavy and still soft inside. I ate it with my lunch. I can't believe that when I eat this whole loaf all I have to do is pull it out, let it rest and bake it. :D

FaithfilledGranolaChick
01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh, I love the cloth idea! Thank you!

I made the pizza today for lunch and it was so good!!!

CakeLady
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
OH.MY.GOODNESS.

This is the best bread! Please help me not eat the whole loaf as my afternoon snack.....

Mert
01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
This jar: (but it was @ $12 at walmart)
http://www.nextag.com/Anchor-Hocking-Glass-Jar-62695947/prices-html

Thanks for the tip!! I had a little Cmas $$ set aside for containers to organize my pantry. I might be adding that one to my list.

Atarah
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Fresh milled flour, using the 'whole wheat' recipe (doubled): The glass jar is nice because it has no seal on it. :tu

just mixed:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/th_IMG_1581.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/?action=view&current=IMG_1581.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/th_IMG_1583.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/?action=view&current=IMG_1583.jpg)

after a couple of hours:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/th_IMG_1596.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/?action=view&current=IMG_1596.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/th_IMG_1597.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/?action=view&current=IMG_1597.jpg)

Blue Savannah
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
So you were able to fit the whole recipe in the 2 gallon jar?

Mert
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Fresh milled flour, using the 'whole wheat' recipe (doubled): The glass jar is nice because it has no seal on it. :tu

So after milling, you used the exact amount in the recipe? I ask b/c I have heard that when using freshly milled flour in a "regular" recipe that the amount should be adjusted as the milling fluffs the flour giving an inaccurate measurement.

Your jar looks like it's working beautifully!! :yes

Atarah
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
So you were able to fit the whole recipe in the 2 gallon jar?

:yes - that's a 6-3-3-13 recipe (with a little added oil/honey and a little added gluten)

Atarah
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

So after milling, you used the exact amount in the recipe? I ask b/c I have heard that when using freshly milled flour in a "regular" recipe that the amount should be adjusted as the milling fluffs the flour giving an inaccurate measurement.

Your jar looks like it's working beautifully!! :yes

:O It's "freshly" milled that's been in my freezer for about a week - so it's had time to 'settle'. It's really wet, sticky dough right now (but it's supposed to be that way :)) We'll see how it bakes out tomorrow. :shrug2

Mert
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
:O It's "freshly" milled that's been in my freezer for about a week - so it's had time to 'settle'. It's really wet, sticky dough right now (but it's supposed to be that way :)) We'll see how it bakes out tomorrow. :shrug2

I'm interested in how it turns out. :grin I noticed that you're adding gluten. How do you decide the amount? I usually add gluten and lecithin to my bread machine bread, but I don't know enough about making bread to just guess for these new recipes.

Atarah
01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm interested in how it turns out. :grin I noticed that you're adding gluten. How do you decide the amount? I usually add gluten and lecithin to my bread machine bread, but I don't know enough about making bread to just guess for these new recipes.

I added 3 TBS to the 6-3-3-13. I 'tweaked' it a bit
I used:
@ 1/3 cup coconut oil (I melted it first)
3 TBS yeast
3 TBS coarse sea salt
1 cup honey
5 1/2 cups water (no milk - we are dairy free, and reduced the water because of the honey)
13 cups HARD wheat flour
3 TBS gluten.

I've had great success baking 'standard' bread with this particular wheat *without* the gluten added. I probably could have done with out it, but I fear flat bread. :O :giggle

Heather R
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh, good, that is what my whole wheat looks like too... I love that jar!

You guys, serious, get the book! I have it out from the library, and there are SO many recipes, as well as tips and tricks for adjusting the recipes or troubleshooting or whatever. I'm totally going to order it from Amazon.

Heather

Heather R
01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Question:

How long does bread take to completely cool? I know it's important to let it cool before slicing (as it keeps cooking while it cools), but I keep underestimating how long it needs to cool before we can eat it... (Like tonight, the soup is ready, but the bread's still hot).

Thanks,
Heather

Mert
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I'll have to play around with mine... I'm still doing half batches as I don't have a great big ol' container yet.

Blue Savannah
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Isn't about two hours standard cooling time?

rstump
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Question:

How long does bread take to completely cool? I know it's important to let it cool before slicing (as it keeps cooking while it cools), but I keep underestimating how long it needs to cool before we can eat it... (Like tonight, the soup is ready, but the bread's still hot).

Thanks,
Heather

We ate our hot....it was a little sticky and flattened some when I cut it...but still yummy!

herbalwriter
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Is this anything like the bread I posted about here (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=154267.msg1554960;topicseen#msg155 4960)? If so, it's awesome.

Herbwifemama
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Is the water needed to make the crunchy crust? Cause I forgot it this time, and the crust wasn't "crusty", but I also used white whole wheat for the first time, so... :shrug

Naked Camper
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
so is it bad that i'm home alone - it's 9pm and i'm seriously thinking about baking a loaf just for me :shifty better than eating ice cream, right? :shrug3

AFA the water - I used water and actually had a better, more tender crust than when I did it w/o the water :think

CakeLady
01-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Question:

Thanks,
Heather

I think ours was good after about an hour. It wasn't hot, but just nicely warm....the butter still melted after a minute or two. :yum

Mert
01-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Is this anything like the bread I posted about here (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=154267.msg1554960;topicseen#msg155 4960)? If so, it's awesome.

It's from a book by the same authors so I'd say yes, and I totally agree. It is awesome!! :yes

Atarah
01-07-2009, 10:45 PM
O.k., for those who do the whole wheat recipe.....

I've put in the loaf pan and it comes out tasting DELICIOUS, but I'm having a hard time with texture.....it's really soft and crumbly and breaks apart too easily to be used as sandwich bread.

I'm also at altitude (about 7000 ft above sea level)....can that be causing this? I haven't added any extra gluten to my bread, would that help you think?

FWIW, I'm using freshly milled (I grind it just before making it) spelt flour. All the rest of the ingredients I use the same as instructed.

Thoughts?

Spelt has softer and less elastic gluten than wheat does, so that could be part of the problem. It would probably be worth trying with some added gluten.

The altitute could also be contributing. :shrug2 How would you normally adjust a bread recipe for high altitude?

blossomnatalia
01-08-2009, 07:52 AM

It's from a book by the same authors so I'd say yes, and I totally agree. It is awesome!! :yes

Leah,

I remember your thread! I remember posting on it saying that I would try it..... and I never did :doh.... How funny is that??

herbalwriter
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
I thought that was funny too! :lol That is absolutely something I would do.

MtnMama
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Mine is baking right now! :dance

waterbaby
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I got my book today! I'm so excited to try this after I get the ingredients! :rockon

Atarah
01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
(clickable thumbnails)

Loaf from the 'fresh' milled flour: (I don't have a peel yet, and it stuck to the suface a bit and deformed from the circle when I put it in the oven)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/th_IMG_1601.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/?action=view&current=IMG_1601.jpg)

What it looked like on the inside:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/th_IMG_1618.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/atarahs1/Home%20Blessing%20Photos/?action=view&current=IMG_1618.jpg)

It was nice and crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. It was declared to be 'yum' by my dh.

I was a bit skeptical when I took the dough out of the jar. It 'broke' off really easily - the gluten was not developed at all, and I was concerned it would be flattened brick of dough after I baked it. It turned out pretty well (though it wasn't 'holey' like I'd expect with white flour).

I have one complaint. :giggle

The 'carefully pour the hot water' instruction. eeeek! I didn't pour the entire cup before I had to QUICKLY shut the oven door so as to avoid a steam burn. Scary stuff!

JessicaNichole
01-09-2009, 04:46 AM
okay im going for it! i am making this bread today! right now!! im so excited ( btw....dont know if this was said yet....but my mom who is my bread master ;) said that you can use parchment paper instead of cornmeal..so thats what im gonna do...soo excited about this bread!!! :heart )

herbalwriter
01-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Leah,

I remember your thread! I remember posting on it saying that I would try it..... and I never did :doh.... How funny is that??

Hey! Your thread is getting more posts than mine! No fair! :snooty :pout :giggle

Kazimiera
01-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I have just been throwing a little extra flour down on the baking stone and it has not stuck. My second loaf was much yummier than my first - the first was a bit heavy. It has a wonderful flavor

Naked Camper
01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
how long do i bake a pizza for?

CakeLady
01-09-2009, 08:15 AM

I'm making the pizza today too. Can't wait.

I bought the book on Wed from Amazon and it came yesterday. I skimmed it and am so excited about this book and all the recipes. I think I'm going to try the WW sandwich bread....if there is room in my fridge. Has anyone frozen a baked loaf of sandwich bread yet and then tried it? Just wondering how well it freezes.

blossomnatalia
01-09-2009, 08:28 AM

about 10 minutes at the highest temp.

JessicaNichole
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
:jawdrop okay so my first 2 loaves just came out and wow! i took pictures and i am so in love! i cant wait to eat them( im serving them with a yummy dip i made today for a craft party i am going to )! i have 2 more that are getting ready to go in the oven now for a brunch i having in the morning! wow ! :heart

blossomnatalia
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Leah,

Hey! Your thread is getting more posts than mine! No fair! :snooty :pout :giggle

Leah, I had NO idea that was from the same book! When i posted this I remembered your thread about a No-knead WW bread but I did not realize it was from a book and I surely did not remember all that because I never got to try it :blush.
Reading your post then I did not realize the whole thing about keeping dough refrigerated ahead of time (which is what attracted me to this recipe, not the no-knead part (which I don't mind doing))...
I hope you can understand my mistake and forgive me. I did not mean to steal your thunder and by no means would I have started a thread about it if I knew yours was about the same book!

Anyway,
I hope you understand my mistake :hug2

Naked Camper
01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
:/ 10 minutes at 450 was not long enough for my pizza. The center was still a little soggy. It's back in the oven

blossomnatalia
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
:/ 10 minutes at 450 was not long enough for my pizza. The center was still a little soggy. It's back in the oven

really?
Are you sure of your oven's temp and how long does it take to preheat?
:think I do think it says that it might need 5 extra minutes (or was it for the bread? :scratch) ... I know for me, 10 minutes is almost too long.

How thin did you roll it out?

MaiMama
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Leah,
I'm glad you have the book and it's been helping you. :tu I hope you don't feel slighted.
:therethere
I didn't read your thread, but I wasn't ready to bake bread until just now. It's like it's divine timing.
That, and you probably didn't have an all caps title with three exclamation marks. :giggle I may have to see if all my threads get this much attention with that kind of title.
WORM CLIMBING UP MY LIVING ROOM WALL!!! (That happened this morning.)
I'M NAUSEATED!!! (That seems to always be true these days.)
MY DAUGHTER JUST PICKED A BOOGER!!! (Ditto.)
So maybe it's about presentation and timing. :hug2 :kiss

blossomnatalia
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Leah,
I'm glad you have the book and it's been helping you. :tu I hope you don't feel slighted.
:therethere
I didn't read your thread, but I wasn't ready to bake bread until just now. It's like it's divine timing.
That, and you probably didn't have an all caps title with three exclamation marks. :giggle I may have to see if all my threads get this much attention with that kind of title.
WORM CLIMBING UP MY LIVING ROOM WALL!!! (That happened this morning.)
I'M NAUSEATED!!! (That seems to always be true these days.)
MY DAUGHTER JUST PICKED A BOOGER!!! (Ditto.)
So maybe it's about presentation and timing. :hug2 :kiss

:spit
:lol

Blue Savannah
01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
O.k., for those who do the whole wheat recipe.....

I've put in the loaf pan and it comes out tasting DELICIOUS, but I'm having a hard time with texture.....it's really soft and crumbly and breaks apart too easily to be used as sandwich bread.

I'm also at altitude (about 7000 ft above sea level)....can that be causing this? I haven't added any extra gluten to my bread, would that help you think?

FWIW, I'm using freshly milled (I grind it just before making it) spelt flour. All the rest of the ingredients I use the same as instructed.

Thoughts?

Spelt has softer and less elastic gluten than wheat does, so that could be part of the problem. It would probably be worth trying with some added gluten.

The altitute could also be contributing. :shrug2 How would you normally adjust a bread recipe for high altitude?

:nak 30% less yeast

Blue Savannah
01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
The 'carefully pour the hot water' instruction. eeeek! I didn't pour the entire cup before I had to QUICKLY shut the oven door so as to avoid a steam burn. Scary stuff!

For this, I wrap a towel around my hand and pour water from a teapot. :heart

Blue Savannah
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
more high altitude baking: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/brody/baking.html

TrinMama
01-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Mine was about 10 min but at 550 degrees. :shrug

blossomnatalia
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Mine was about 10 min but at 550 degrees. :shrug

oh yes! I did not noticed the temp...450 is not high enough... is that as high as your oven will go? I bake mine at 525.

Naked Camper
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
ah - no, it will go higher, but the high temp made me :nails :giggle

I'll try a higher temp next time. My pizza turned out beautifully - i'll post pics as soon as it loads.

herbalwriter
01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Anyway,
I hope you understand my mistake :hug2

Oh honey, I am just kidding! :kiss I am just glad everyone's making this bread! ;)

Oh, word to the wise - I also use a pizza stone to bake bread on, but I put parchment paper under my bread instead of the cornmeal - same for pizza crust. Nothing sticks to it. :)

Naked Camper
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
here's my pizza - the crust was soooo good!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/stukonblu/CIMG0169.jpg

Hermana Linda
01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
:yum

KatieMae
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm totally starving all of a sudden :yum

CakeLady
01-10-2009, 04:22 AM
We had the pizza for dinner and it was the best pizza I've ever made. It tasted like it was take-out, but way better (and faster too). I got :tu from DD and DH

JessicaNichole
01-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Here is my bread. I cant not believe how great it came out. it was sooo yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k384/the5wylies/SS102232.jpg

blossomnatalia
01-12-2009, 09:15 AM
beautiful!!! :heart

I went back to unbleached white.... oh my word! it is so good!!! :blush
the ww was just too gooey lately so I went back to white....PERFECT!

Naked Camper
01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I made the caramel pecan rolls listed on the website last night - they were - okay - not amazing. But I think I was really in the mood for a yummy cinnamon roll and a caramel pecan roll is NOT a cinnamon roll :shifty :giggle

CrunchySeaSalt
01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I am sad, I can't find the lock lid (our walmart doesn't have it) OR the glass jar :cry :shrug

blossomnatalia
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I am sad, I can't find the lock lid (our walmart doesn't have it) OR the glass jar :cry :shrug
:hugheart

I made the caramel pecan rolls listed on the website last night - they were - okay - not amazing. But I think I was really in the mood for a yummy cinnamon roll and a caramel pecan roll is NOT a cinnamon roll :shifty :giggle

I know what you mean :no.... hehehe

Naked Camper
01-12-2009, 12:10 PM
tonight we're having potato soup and I think I'm going to make bread bowls :yum

I just love this recipe - there's no kneeding!!!! I am baking so much more b/c there is no effort really involved :grin

Heather R
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Anyone else worried about all the weight they will gain eating all this bread? (Only partly joking...)

Heather

Atarah
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone else worried about all the weight they will gain eating all this bread? (Only partly joking...)

Heather

Don't think that thought hasn't gone through my head. :bag :rolleyes2

CrunchySeaSalt
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
OK I NEED an alternate container I WANT WANT WANT to make this! :pacing :hissyfit
DH is on my back after I went all over getting ingerdients and told him to wait to make pizza b/c *I have this AMAZING recipe* :shifty

What size and kind of container is safe and will hold it all?

Naked Camper
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I use a 1/2 gallon pitcher that holds the recipe listed on the site - 3.5c water, 1.5 tsp salt 1.5 tsp yeast and 6 c. flour. :shrug I just don't make the big batch :wink

herbalwriter
01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I use a glass storage bowl with a plastic lid - Pyrex type.

CrunchySeaSalt
01-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I use a 1/2 gallon pitcher that holds the recipe listed on the site - 3.5c water, 1.5 tsp salt 1.5 tsp yeast and 6 c. flour. :shrug I just don't make the big batch :wink

I may do this THANKS!

MaiMama
01-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Can you make more than one loaf at a time? I am expecting to go to a funeral soon, and I would like to take a number of loaves, but can't imagine doing it back to back ad nauseum (okay, more than, say, twice). I have a pizza stone. Can you put two or more on there at a time? Would you need more water to evaporate or anything? What about a cookie sheet next to it?

Even just for our family, one seems pretty small. What do you think?

blossomnatalia
01-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I always bake 2 at a time....I think I could probably squeeze 3 :yes on a pizza stone.

JessicaNichole
01-13-2009, 12:33 AM
one batch made 4 good size loaves, i baked 2 at a time on my stone, i make my bread in a giant stainless steel bowl from pamp. chef... my mom has been looking for a reason to buy this bowl and she said now she has a reason :)

herbalwriter
01-13-2009, 06:07 AM
beautiful!!! :heart

I went back to unbleached white.... oh my word! it is so good!!! :blush
the ww was just too gooey lately so I went back to white....PERFECT!

I use about 1/3 - 1/2 whole wheat and 2/3 - 1/2 unbleached white - you get the good texture and still get some whole grain. :)

JessicaNichole
01-13-2009, 08:30 AM

I just love this recipe - there's no kneeding!!!! I am baking so much more b/c there is no effort really involved :grin

how did your bread bowls turn out???

BHope
01-13-2009, 08:32 AM
We made bread bowls a couple days ago. Once Dh is done online, I'll post pictures. :heart

JessicaNichole
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
oh good! my mom is coming over to babysit on tuesday and i am making splitpea soup and i think that would be great in a bread bowl!!

schmamy
01-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Maybe this has already been answered...it's overwhelming to think of reading through a 16-page thread at once :O ...but is this article so thorough that you don't need to buy the book? I was planning to buy the book (Artisan Bread in Just 5 Minutes a Day), but maybe I don't need to?

Naked Camper
01-13-2009, 10:16 AM

how did your bread bowls turn out???

they turned out really well. i used a ceramic bowl turned upside down, lubed it up with cooking spray and then molded the bread on the bowl baked for 20 min. They were yummy. DH was impressed

monkeylicious
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe this has already been answered...it's overwhelming to think of reading through a 16-page thread at once :O ...but is this article so thorough that you don't need to buy the book? I was planning to buy the book (Artisan Bread in Just 5 Minutes a Day), but maybe I don't need to?

the article link on the first page of this thread is only a few (6 maybe) pages long and i think it is thorough enough :yes

also you could check your library - if you use the library :shrug mine has it :yes i had to do a hold -but should have it by the end of the month :clap

schmamy
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM

the article link on the first page of this thread is only a few (6 maybe) pages long and i think it is thorough enough :yes

also you could check your library - if you use the library :shrug mine has it :yes i had to do a hold -but should have it by the end of the month :clap

our library is AWFUL.

the last thing I need is more stuff to read online...and probably it's something I will want to refer to often...maybe I will just get the book anyway. probably it's not too terribly expensive on amazon... :think

mummy2boys
01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
subbing to read properly later

BHope
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3536/3197128423_cb3a92a004.jpg?v=0

Using a ceramic bowl to shape the bread bowls was a good idea. I ended up just doing smaller bun size portions of dough and cutting off the tops for our chili.

CakeLady
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
That looks so yummy! I'll have to give it a try. :rockon

JessicaNichole
01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
oh wow! that looks soo good!

MaiMama
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh, Manda, that looks heavenly. I need your recipe for chili.

I made my first white/wheat mixture, and it's really good! Even if I did fall asleep and let it rise for 6 hours. :shifty I used 2 cups of whole wheat and the rest white flour. It's a great compromise, because there are still bubbles, but a rich wheaty taste. I may increase the ww amount with time, but wanted to start small. The kids still fawn over it, so I'm doing something right.

If you were going to take several loaves to a funeral, would you do it all that morning, or any the day before?

blossomnatalia
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh, Manda, that looks heavenly. I need your recipe for chili.

I made my first white/wheat mixture, and it's really good! Even if I did fall asleep and let it rise for 6 hours. :shifty I used 2 cups of whole wheat and the rest white flour. It's a great compromise, because there are still bubbles, but a rich wheaty taste. I may increase the ww amount with time, but wanted to start small. The kids still fawn over it, so I'm doing something right.

If you were going to take several loaves to a funeral, would you do it all that morning, or any the day before?

I would do it the same day if you have enough time to let it cool off or the day before and just leave it under a dish towel on a cutting board overnight after it cooled off.
I "store " it that way and it stay crusty and chewy inside for about 3 days :yes

Naked Camper
01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I added herbs to my bread tonight :yum

rstump
01-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I got my book today.... :rockon I can't wait to try some new versions.

blossomnatalia
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Man, I am still waiting for mine! :snooty

CakeLady
01-16-2009, 08:09 AM
I added herbs to my bread tonight :yum

Did you just add them to the loaf you were making for supper or did you make a whole new batch with the herbs? What did you add..... :yum

Naked Camper
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
i gently folded in Italian herbs and garlic powder to last night's specific loaf. it was yummy

DancingWithElves
01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
So, i thought that i'd finally chime in and tell you what i've been doing :)
I've been baking bread the regular way for years... but since the car wreck my right arm is partially paralyzed and i cannot knead very well :sadno so that sucks. So, when i saw this, it was a true blessing :heart
i keep a sourdough starter going, and to the recipe, i put 1/2 c of starter plus 1/2 the amount of necessary yeast, or even less. it is wonderful.
i use white whole wheat and i like it a lot better than red whole wheat with this recipe.
i do not have a pizza peal or a stone circle thing. But, i had WONDERFUL results using my cast iron skillet instead of the stone. I put the loaves to rest right on the skillet, so i don't have to move them before putting in the oven... i know it's not 100% the same, but works great for me.
Instead of cornmeal I use wheat bran :tu works beautifully.
When I do not feel like I can slash a loaf nicely (say, it's in a pan), i take a skinny knife and poke 5-6 vertical holes in it--great results. :yes
Also, when I need something for sandwiches, I make white or wheat in a pan--less crust and more predictable shape too.
Out of this world, is 1/2 wheat 1/2 white :heart :heart My fav. so far. I use some molasses and honey to sweeten it and I cannot use dairy, so no milk.
So, thanks so much :heart
my arm thanks you, my belly thanks you, my husband thanks you, and my little dude thanks you (butta mama, butta breatt!, butta :giggle)

Blue Savannah
01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I have a batch rising right now. Like a pp, I did two cups WW (I'm doing the recipe from the book which is half of the MEN recipe). We;re planning pizza and a crusty bread for greek salad this week.

What a perfect postpartum bread recipe! :shifty

Mert
01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
This thread has been sooooooo inspirational!! Thanks to blossomnatalia for getting this started and to everyone else who contributed pictures and shared their experiences. Here's my second loaf (like others the first was gobbled up too quickly for pictures) and an egg cup inspired by the official website... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=482 Mine don't look as good as theirs, but boy was it YUMMY!! :yum

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/th_bread.jpg (http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/?action=view&current=bread.jpg) http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/th_egg-in-muffin-tin.jpg (http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/?action=view&current=egg-in-muffin-tin.jpg)

(clickable thumbs)

blossomnatalia
01-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh i am so sorry... :hugheart.

I did not try the 100% ww loaf yet, so I can't really help you there. I hope you figure out what is going on SOON. :think

blossomnatalia
01-16-2009, 08:40 PM
This thread has been sooooooo inspirational!! Thanks to blossomnatalia for getting this started and to everyone else who contributed pictures and shared their experiences. Here's my second loaf (like others the first was gobbled up too quickly for pictures) and an egg cup inspired by the official website... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=482 Mine don't look as good as theirs, but boy was it YUMMY!! :yum

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/th_bread.jpg (http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/?action=view&current=bread.jpg) http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/th_egg-in-muffin-tin.jpg (http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Mert_JDMama/?action=view&current=egg-in-muffin-tin.jpg)

(clickable thumbs)

beautiful loaf there!!! :heart :heart

Rabbit
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
You ladies might want to look into sourdough crocks or pickling crocks, or any stoneware crocks. They're the original containers for sourdough bread. They come in appropriate sizes, are non-toxic, and let the dough breathe.

I'm just going to presume this recipe does NOT work well at altitude and/or with freshly milled spelt. I mean, I follow the recipe and it's not rocket science so :shrug :scratch

Spelt definitely does not work the way regular wheat does.

blossomnatalia
01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I just added a you tube video in OP. It is an interview and demonstration by the authors.