PDA

View Full Version : When do you take the christmas tree and Decs down?

Grover
12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
We wait for N's birthday before we dismantle christmas-his birthday is in January

TuneMyHeart
12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
We took ours down Sat. I wanted my living room back!

2sunshines
12-29-2008, 10:04 AM
We used to take them down right away after Christmas, but this Christmas I'm learning more about the 12 days of Christmas and I love the idea of an extended celebration so we're leaving ours up until at least that time frame is done.

mommylove
12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
DH is off on New Years Day (I think) and that's probably when ours is coming down. Me? I could wait a few more weeks. My house is very boring & plain when I take out the Christmas decorations.

Allison
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
The day after Christmas I take our stuff down.

KatieMae
12-29-2008, 10:27 AM

:sigh I *SO* agree... but we wait until Epiphany, then I work on putting away ornaments & decorations until we get to the following weekend & then we strip the tree & take it to the fire station for chipping/recycling. So... I've still got a while :/

swimming with sharks
12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
at least epiphany and then normally everything comes down the following weekend.

rosesnsnails
12-29-2008, 10:43 AM
We wait until at least Epiphany.

klpmommy
12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
mine were taken down over the weekend & put away *in the garage* :rockon (For the past three to four years all decorations have lived either in the formal dining room or in the basement living areas). I like them, but I was tired of fighting S with them.

ArmsOfLove
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
December 26th

When the bubbies were born Jan 5th it was preceeded by me intensely nesting Dec 26th and I *HAD TO* get that stuff put away. Considering our lights didn't come down until June I am so glad I did that ;)

Now we put them away and then enjoy New Year's as it's own holiday and the bubbies birthday as a separate thing as well :heart

Raspberries
12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I took the stars off my walls down and they are up in DD1's room now. The only other thing I have to take down are some lights, other than that. Nada. ;)

AdrienneQW
12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
We generally take them down after Epiphany. This year we're celebrating Christmas with my side of the family here on Jan 3rd, then leaving for WDW the next night. I'm considering taking them down before we go so we don't come home in mid-January to a bunch of Christmas stuff needing to be put away. :think

JessicaTX
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I prefer to wait until epiphany, but we're buying a new tree for next year, and my friend didn't have a nice one so I took it down on saturday to give to her =D
(it was prelit but half the lights went out, I much prefer prelit, she didn't have an opinion one way or the other)

Dana Joy
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
The weekend after new years- or new years. This year Mr J's parents are coming over for dinner on new years day- so I want them to see our festive decorations.

Piper2
12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
We'll probably take ours down by the end of this weekend. Once Christmas Day is over, I'm ready to get it all put away, but we tend to procrastinate -- DH hates going up into the attic (where we store it all), too. :O

Rabbit
12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
We don't get out the tree until Christmas Eve, so we tend to leave it up awhile afterwards. We'll take it down the weekend after New Years.

DancingWithElves
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
January 14th.
because my x-mas is not until the 7th and then there's old new year's on the 13th ;) we get twice the holidays :tu :dance

Grover
12-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Intresting responses.Crystal The Bubbies and N share the same birthday ;)
We used to leave them up to epiphany and the year he was born it was as if he arrived just in time to see them[he arrived early evening.]I remember DH showing him the lights :heart

Benjaminswife
12-30-2008, 01:46 AM
I was going to keep it up for a while but ended up taking it down 2 nights ago.,

Grover
12-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Julie :hug2 Christmas is a tough time to have a husband away serving his country :hugheart.

blessedwithboys
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
We take ours down on New Year's Day. It's nice to start the house out fresh and clean, and dh has the day off to help me (that's the main reason :giggle) .

peacefullone
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I was making peanutbutter cookies tonight and no one was near the tree and it just fell over. surprised us all. I've actually been wanting to take it down early this year. It's been a tough Christmas season for us anyway. I'm looking forward to a new year, now.

peacefullone
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
oh and I wanted to add though that we usually leave the snowmen and other wintery decorations up until later in the wintertime.

Mother of Sons
12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
January 6

hey mommy
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
We're doing ours this week. I'll start on it tomorrow.

GodChick
12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
We wait until Epiphany. :)

peacefullone
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but why do some people wait until the Epiphany?

GodChick
12-30-2008, 11:07 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but why do some people wait until the Epiphany?

Because the 12 days from Christmas Day until Epiphany are the liturgical season of Christmas (the 12 days of Christmas). So for all those 12 days, it is still Christmas, if you are going by the liturgical calendar. :)

TraceMama
12-31-2008, 04:43 AM
We usually wait until Epiphany :) This year I think it will come down a bit early, so that it can be recycled on the 5th.

KatieMae
01-01-2009, 12:34 PM

:sigh I *SO* agree... but we wait until Epiphany, then I work on putting away ornaments & decorations until we get to the following weekend & then we strip the tree & take it to the fire station for chipping/recycling. So... I've still got a while :/

:ph I couldn't take it anymore. It's gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. I took it down & out of the house all by myself yesterday & put a new cubby-storage system in its place last night. Hallelujah!

mama-hobbit
01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Never before Epiphany... often at least the middle of January, until the needles start falling off. :giggle

Teribear
01-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I have been known to leave them up so long that I re-hung the tree with plastic eggs and called it an easter tree. Now that I'm doing the 12 days of Christmas though Epiphany will be the day we un-decorate the tree...we'll have cookies and hot chocolate and all that just like when its going up and talk about new ornaments we got this year and stuff. I'm looking forward to it as a tradition rather than a chore now. :)

mamaKristin
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
We wait until the Sunday of Epiphany. Partially because of the liturgical season, and because we host an open house every year on the Saturday of Epiphany weekend, so it's nice to have people see our house decorated for Christmas. It's a 3 foot tall fake tree though, so it's still looking green and doesn't take up a lot of room. ;)

mama-hobbit
01-01-2009, 05:26 PM
:O I have memories of the tree still being up for valentines when I was a kid... :heart

blessedwithboys
01-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Ours is down! :jump2 :dance I looove decorating for Christmas, and I looove taking it down and having a sparkly clean de-Christmas-ed house too. :giggle

Lavender Lily
01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I started putting stuff away a couple days after christmas b/c the kids had messed with the tree so much it looked very sad. When dh saw it he was upset b/c he wanted to wait till sometime in Jan. So our livingroom is half decorated. :shifty I really want my livingroom back.

mummy2boys
01-02-2009, 03:54 AM
We took ours down the 31st.....but thats only because we were having someone come sleep in our living room ;)

MomtoJGJ
01-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Our tree and inside decorations are still up and will be until after Jan 10th because that is the day we are having DD2's b'day party and we always leave it up until after her party. The outside stuff is down though. I've started nesting already (frightening) and it HAD to come down. I'm still working on putting up the kids gifts in an organized way... that has to be done before we get all the boxes up for the decorations.

Grover
01-02-2009, 06:45 AM
We leave them up for our DS birthday too