PDA

View Full Version : Pantries

TrinMama
12-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Do you have one? Where? I don't. No closet in my kitchen. I wish I did. We have TONS of cabinets but they are mostly filled with dishes and appliances. I've tried to make a pantry in the basement, but the shelves are not working for me. I need something new. Poke me at the end of the day if I haven't posted pics so you all can help me out!

MamaPepper
12-29-2008, 07:13 AM
I should read slower. . . I read "Panties" and was thinking :scratch "why are we talking about panties in Joyous Housekeeping?" :giggle

Grover
12-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Nope -Dont have one.We have a small fridge :yes

klpmommy
12-29-2008, 08:15 AM
what about moving some of the less oft used dishes & appliances to another spot (like shelves in the basement) & using your cabinets for your pantry? We have a small pantry, but the most used stuff is in a cabinet b/c it is easier.

2sunshines
12-29-2008, 10:06 AM
This house has a pantry and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm not sure how I could go backwards. I've never had one before and had to use cupboards for food and it was never enough space with everything else I had to store there.

I've seen people use the shelves in their basements as their pantry and it seems to work well, but you said that doesn't work for you. :think What about buying a armoire type pantry thing with doors and shelves to put in the basement to use.

mommylove
12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
My current house has a gargantuan pantry; my last didn't have one. I had DH build shelves in the garage & I used that as my pantry. It worked perfectly for me. My sister converted her small linen closet in the hall to a pantry.

KatieMae
12-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I :heart my pantry :yes

Our first apartment - a studio apt, super-small - barely had enough cupboards, let alone a pantry, so we bought a bookshelf at Target & viola, pantry! You could paint it to match the kitchen walls, or make curtain to cover it if you want the stuff out-of-sight.

TrinMama
12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I should read slower. . . I read "Panties" and was thinking :scratch "why are we talking about panties in Joyous Housekeeping?" :giggle

:haha

TrinMama
12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
This house has a pantry and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm not sure how I could go backwards. I've never had one before and had to use cupboards for food and it was never enough space with everything else I had to store there.

I've seen people use the shelves in their basements as their pantry and it seems to work well, but you said that doesn't work for you. :think What about buying a armoire type pantry thing with doors and shelves to put in the basement to use.

good idea.

My current house has a gargantuan pantry; my last didn't have one. I had DH build shelves in the garage & I used that as my pantry. It worked perfectly for me. My sister converted her small linen closet in the hall to a pantry.

we have a closet I could use, IF I convince DH to stop hanging coats there that he doesn't wear. :giggle Then I'd also have to find a new spot for our vacuum.

That's a neat idea!
I :heart my pantry :yes

Our first apartment - a studio apt, super-small - barely had enough cupboards, let alone a pantry, so we bought a bookshelf at Target & viola, pantry! You could paint it to match the kitchen walls, or make curtain to cover it if you want the stuff out-of-sight.

ArmsOfLove
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I have one--when we ripped out our old kitchen I insisted on it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79811860

Instead of all shelves I have a few shelves and then baskets that slide out :tu

TrinMama
12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I have one--when we ripped out our old kitchen I insisted on it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79811860

Instead of all shelves I have a few shelves and then baskets that slide out :tu

nice. I wish we had IKEA here! But I could get that online...

zak
12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
We have a small closet pantry. :)

In our old house in Savannah, our pantry was triple the size of the one we have now. :no Sooooo nice!

rubicube
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
No pantry here either.. .and full cabinets. I have moved some of our larger appliances to shelves in the basement.. .like the stand mixer, the crockpot, etc. I have them on a small shelf right at the bottom of the steps so they are still convenient.

I also had my husband set up shelves for food in the basement. . .mostly for canned goods, extra cereal, condiments, etc. I don't have any food in the basement that is for immediate or everyday use. . .that would just be too much of a hassle. . .just the backups and the canned goods.. Again the shelves are right around the corner of the steps so I'm not trekking through the entire basement, but just quickly running down the steps.

I would LOVE to have a pantry, but for now the basement is the only thing that is really practical here.

KatieMae
12-29-2008, 05:32 PM
No pantry here either.. .and full cabinets. I have moved some of our larger appliances to shelves in the basement.. .like the stand mixer, the crockpot, etc. I have them on a small shelf right at the bottom of the steps so they are still convenient.

It also occurred to me that if you had room for shelves on your walls (like, built-in shelves, not a store-bought bookcase) you could put the big, pretty appliances on those. It wouldn't look cluttered b/c it's just a few large things (mixer, food processor, rice cooker, whatever you have) and it would free up a LOT of space in your cabinets.

I also had my husband set up shelves for food in the basement. . .mostly for canned goods, extra cereal, condiments, etc. I don't have any food in the basement that is for immediate or everyday use. . .that would just be too much of a hassle. . .just the backups and the canned goods.. Again the shelves are right around the corner of the steps so I'm not trekking through the entire basement, but just quickly running down the steps.

We had that set-up in the huge, old farmhouse where I grew up. My mom canned lots & lots of veggies & fruits during the summer & my dad rigged shelves using cut-down plywood & cement blocks :shifty Call it a "rustic" look :giggle

mom2threegirls
12-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I should read slower. . . I read "Panties" and was thinking "why are we talking about panties in Joyous Housekeeping?"

:haha Me too. And my next thought was "Ok, maybe we're talking about decluttering our panties :shrug" :giggle.

In our old house I used the linen closet as a pantry. It was just a room away so it worked pretty well. No pantry at our house now but we have tons of cabinet space so I don't need one. Do you have an extra closet somewhere close you could change to a pantry maybe? Or declutter some of the cabinets so there is room for food? :think

ChristmasGirl
12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
I should read slower. . . I read "Panties" and was thinking "why are we talking about panties in Joyous Housekeeping?"

i have read it this way 3 times :laughtears

TrinMama
12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trinmama/th_IMG_8165.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trinmama/?action=view&current=IMG_8165.jpg)

This is where I keep food like cereal, crackers, peanut butter, tea, hot cocoa, oils, baking things....

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trinmama/th_IMG_8166.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trinmama/?action=view&current=IMG_8166.jpg)

A close-up. I'm always catching falling things from here.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trinmama/th_IMG_8167.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trinmama/?action=view&current=IMG_8167.jpg)

My current "pantry" area.

Tomorrow my goal is to move things downstairs and move food up...just under the cabinets I pictured is a counter and more cabinets under the counter...I want to move the coffee pot, odds and ends, our food dehydrator...and move food up. I don't think I can do all of it, but I don't need all of it. Obviously not the huge boxes of diapers. :giggle

KatieMae
12-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Good luck! :heart

(And make sure you de-clutter as you go!)