PDA

View Full Version : storage ideas for toddler's toys-- v. tight on space

rebecuna
12-29-2008, 01:59 AM
we have a small apartment that we rent furnished, so we don't have the option of getting rid of any existing furniture. I need a good way to organize DS' toys so he can access them easily and where they're not really out in the open (baskets would be okay, but not just toys sitting out). Right now he has an art drawer in the bedside table of our 2nd bedroom/office (which is not his room since we cosleep but is where we keep his stuff, for the most part), and the bottom shelf of our bookshelf for his books. Both are very full. His train tracks are in a plastic tub with a lid. His legos are in a Staples paper box. He has a small wicker basket (small trash can size) with FP Little People and cars. He also has one of those collapsable mesh laundry/storage baskets (about 3 feet tall and 1.5 feet wide) completely full of random toys- stuffed animals, pull toys, balls, etc. ALSO another area where we stack his puzzles and games.

This sounds like a lot of stuff... I don't think it actually is that much, it's just overwhelming right now-- we've had about 1/5 this many toys for the last 3 months since we just moved overseas, and our shipment of "stuff we didn't need right away" just arrived so we're overloaded. I also don't know where/if I can get plastic bins or baskets very easily. Right now I have 2 empty paper boxes I'm planning to use temporarily to try to organize the mesh laundry basket of stuff...

So, what do you do to organize stuff in small spaces? The only option I can see right now is some kind of shelving in the hallway. But how to make it look nice since it's the path to the bathroom that guests will use? And I'm open to other suggestions if you have them! If you have pics of your stuff, I'd love to see it to be inspired by your creativity! (Oh, and I can post pics of our space, if that's helpful).

Thanks!

emmalouise
12-29-2008, 04:10 AM
We just moved into a small apartment, and all of the toys are now in these units. I love them, I can't rave enough about them.
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/12018/ I'm not sure if ikea will have them where you are, but they seem like pretty standard ikea ware. Though, it depends on your aesthetic I guess, they're not exactly pretty. But wow are they functional!!

klpmommy
12-29-2008, 05:03 AM
We have several variations of these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086

We have a 2x4 unit, a 4x4 unit & a 5x5 until in our family room. They are really nice for storage & there are both baskets & plastic bins that fit in them. I really like them. They may be too wide for a hallway, it depends on how wide your hall is.

MudPies
12-29-2008, 06:25 AM
can you reorganize other things to make room for his things? I was thinking that in a small space you need to go vertical- with shelves along the ceiling- but your lO won't be able to reach those. A think I saw in teh pottery barn catalog (I drool at the ideas- but don't but from them) is to get brackets and hang buckets on the wall. Very cute. (can't find a pic now) they also have some shallow shelving ideas here http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/k/storage-shelving/shelving-pegs-hooks/index.cfm?cm%5Ftype=lnav

MomtoJGJ
12-29-2008, 06:43 AM
You could always take some of the stuff and box it in the paper boxes and put it away in a closet. That would get some of the "clutter" out of the way. Then the best way to make it look nicer is to have everything match. Get all the same color or style of container, no matter what it is, and that will automatically make it look neater.

Grover
12-29-2008, 08:04 AM
we have limited family space
Heres what I do
Art stuff is in a cupboard in the kitchen.
Books are in the most part on the boys bookcase.We have a coffe table with a few downstairs
Lego /Blocks are in a bucket /Basket with a lid
Trainset under the crib at the mo
Games on shelves/On top of closet
Cars are in a small box ahapped basket with a lid
Little people are currently upstairs -aka in storage
Stuffed toys-a few -out -on their bed-the rest in the closet/on top of the closet
I have toys stacked in boxes ontop of closets.We pretty much do floor to ceiling.The boys can not help thyemselves so we rotate-lots.I think little kids get overwhelmed with too much choice anyhow :yes

tempus vernum
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I LOVE the cubbies like klpmommy linked. WE don't have them but I LOVE the idea of those with cloth drawers in their. Target has cloth drawers :mrgreen

rebecuna
12-29-2008, 03:11 PM
And *how* I wish I had Target... and Ikea... :cry :pray4 :hissyfit No, seriously, great ideas, ladies! I need to look around to see more of what's available here... kind of overwhelming prospect, but it's feeling urgent.

Unfortunately, we're about out of storage space in general, so putting things away probably won't work. I do have a few things put away (including some of his too-many-from-Grandma Christmas gifts! :shifty) but really, he doesn't even remember enough what's in the boxes that are out-- if he can't see it, it pretty much doesn't exist.

Keep the ideas coming!!