PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering with a vengeance

ArmsOfLove
12-26-2008, 11:53 PM
:phew

Sunday I'm going to try and pull the master bedroom closet apart and try to organize it better--the box of paperwork from 2007 is going to the garage, as is the box of homeschooling stuff up through Dec this year :tu I'm going to clear off the desk and sewing machine and will go through all the paperwork and receipts and box up 2008 :heart

Today when I put away Christmas I ran to WalMart and bought 2 large green rubbermaid boxes (as well as 6 clear boxes) and I got beautiful decorative boxes (2 from Hobby Lobby, 1 that a gift came in, and 3 from Walmart. In them I organized all of our ornaments as they came off the tree and created a list of what ornaments are in each box--and then what boxes and other stuff is in the large boxes.

I got all of Christmas into red and green boxes :tu And then one clear box with all the fake poinsettias :tu

So I threw out all sorts of less efficient storage stuff and got everything into less boxes and now I have huge boxes for storage of things we have in the garage and don't have proper storage for :woohoo

Anyone else tackling the mess of this year so we don't take it into the new year???

JoyGal
12-27-2008, 03:47 AM
:me

Wow, you got to a great start!! :tu

I plan on decluttering so much really soon here. The next few days we are still pretty busy, but during my :nak2 times I'm going to start some good lists that include decluttering, goals, resolutions, etc. I really want to head into the new year with the least amount of clutter as possible. It just seems to start out the year better for some reason. All fresh, clean and new in the house just like the year :yes

klpmommy
12-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I've been decluttering like crazy this entire year. But with Christmas ornaments my goal is to get them in the garage in the high storage. That means I have to find a path in the garage to get to the high storage & make sure that there is room for the ladder for dh to climb up to put it away. For two years the Christmas boxes sat in the formal dining room, then last year I moved them all to a seldom used section of the basement. But they *belong* in the garage up high.

TraceMama
12-27-2008, 06:23 AM
As I take ornaments off the tree, I'm planning on getting rid of the strange ones that never made it onto the tree in the first place. :yes They're mostly hand-me-downs from my MIL who decluttered her tree by "gifting" us with ornaments a few years ago. :hunh If I don't like them, if they're too heavy, if they're not really ornaments, etc., they're going in the circular file. :rockon

I'm also ready to declutter with a vengeance --- I'm just trying to find the time to do so and the space to re-organize everything. :doh I don't have the budget to buy any new bins or containers right now, so that's a challenge. :think

Also, what *really* needs to be decluttered is dh's home office and my decluttering gusto has not rubbed off on him. :shifty

Close2MyHeart
12-27-2008, 06:28 AM
:tu

I haven't started yet... but I hope to find the time.

bananacake
12-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm hoping to do some this week :yes

Cookie Momster
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I wish I could declutter but I get overwhelmed quickly with it :/

illinoismommy
12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes I MUST do this. Lots of stuff came into the house with Christmas, but nothing has left. Something needs to leave. Its really hard to figure out what once you get to the place where you use everything. Of course smoe of the Christmas gifts are clutter that will have to leave, I always feel guilty about that although I didn't ask for any of it. :blush

Grover
12-29-2008, 08:53 AM
need to do this too but need to do it when the resident hoarders DH and DS are out

2sunshines
12-29-2008, 10:13 AM
My goal is to use the ammunution of the new toys that came in as Christmas to help the kids negotiate some toys to donate.

HummusDip
12-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I did some massive bathroom decluttering on Saturday! I threw away 2 large Walmart bags full of trash! It looks so great in there, I'll have to take pictures!

Make sure to show us pictures of your progress too for inspiration!

mommylove
12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Ugh, I need to. DS has enough toys for at least 4 families so that's what needs to go. I don't know where to start & what to keep & what to give away since we're not done having kids.