PDA

View Full Version : Using a Mixer for Bread Dough

Littledisciples
12-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Now here is the deal I got a new one for Christmas and it comes with bread dough hooks well I am wondering can I use that to totaly get the bread ready like my breadmachine? I never had one. I do know how to do bread by hand and all but I am wondering can I toss my breadmachine now or do I still need it? :think :think Anyone with experience let me know.

AngelaVA
12-26-2008, 02:58 PM
It depends on what you use your bread machine for. The mixer is good for mixing and kneading but you will probably need to do something else for rising and of course for baking. I am far from a bread making expert but here I what has worked for me with a mixer. Mix all the other ingredients with your first few cups of flour and use the regular attachment to mix for about 10 minutes on speed 2, then add the rest of your flour, change to the dough hook and then knead for about 10 minutes on speed 1 (make sure the mixer is locked to it is not moving all over the place). Let it rise the first time in the bowl from the mixer (I put mine in a warm oven covered with a damp dish towel. I do not use the mixer to punch it down after the first rising, since you have to shape it into a loaf anyway it just seems easier to use oiled hands and an oiled surface. Then of course you are going to transfer it to pans and proceed as though you were making handmade bread.

Littledisciples
12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
It depends on what you use your bread machine for. The mixer is good for mixing and kneading but you will probably need to do something else for rising and of course for baking. I am far from a bread making expert but here I what has worked for me with a mixer. Mix all the other ingredients with your first few cups of flour and use the regular attachment to mix for about 10 minutes on speed 2, then add the rest of your flour, change to the dough hook and then knead for about 10 minutes on speed 1 (make sure the mixer is locked to it is not moving all over the place). Let it rise the first time in the bowl from the mixer (I put mine in a warm oven covered with a damp dish towel. I do not use the mixer to punch it down after the first rising, since you have to shape it into a loaf anyway it just seems easier to use oiled hands and an oiled surface. Then of course you are going to transfer it to pans and proceed as though you were making handmade bread.

this is what I kind of had in mind but wasn't sure if it would work. I normaly use my bread machine to make dough. I don't like the hole in the bread machine so I have bread pans to bake loafs in. Mainly I just want a mess free way to make dough just because I am lazy LOL and otherwise I could do it by hand if I had too.