PDA

View Full Version : Green cabbage?

jenny_islander
12-19-2008, 01:02 AM
NAK--it's always cheap but efforts to date have bombed w/husband. Not nasty, just not satisfying. Ideas please?

Cookie Momster
12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you tried throwing it in a salad? In stew?

jewelmcjem
12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
You can stir-fry it with some leftover chicken or pork and some ramen noodles for a cheap meal.

Proverbs31
12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm planning to try this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/health/nutrition/08recipehealth.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=cabbage%20lentil&st=cse

(haven't yet, so if you do, could you please post how it turns out? :) )

Rabbit
12-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I lightly boil it, enough to soften it but not significantly change the color or make it too limp. I drain that, to save the liquid for soup, then sprinkle the cabbage with lemon juice and pepper.

canadiyank
12-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I make a chicken salad out of it.

Boil two chicken breasts and chop. While it cooks chop up a head up cabbage but not as fine as coleslaw. Take two bags of ramen noodles and smash them up inside the bag, dump in with cabbage, reserve the sauce packets. Add cooked chicken and a couple handfuls of sliced almonds.

To make dressing I use about 1/2 c. of canola oil, 3/4 c. of white or rice vinegar, 3 tbsp. of sugar, the reserved sauce packets, and toasted sesame oil to taste. Those are all approximate, I add more or less oil and vinegar to taste and depending on how big the cabbage is. Stir thoroughly.

Toss dressing with salad and top with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.

I use this often as a main dish (maybe add another chicken breast) and it's a nice side at potlucks etc.

jewelmcjem
12-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, I've had that salad at potlucks and love it, but I've never seen a recipe. I've also seen it with mandarin oranges as well.

canadiyank
12-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, I've seen several variations on it, all pretty tasty and easy. It's fairly inexpensive, too, the only spendy thing is the almonds, and I try to pick up a bunch in the summer at the farmer's market that will last me awhile in the fridge.