PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me bake bread the NT way with a machine?

MaiMama
12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
If I'm making bread in a machine, but want to soak my grains the NT way, does that liquid come out of the recipe or is it extra?

Does that make any sense?

I'm actually trying to kind of put a recipe together from a couple of sources. Maybe you could help me figure that out, too.
The Nourishing Traditions book doesn't have a wheat bread recipe. :scratch

My machine has this one:

Wheat Bread
everything at room temp

10-12 oz water (would I reduce any because of soaking or leave it the same?)
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tablespoons veg oil (can I sub coconut oil here 1 to 1? or olive oil?)
2 tbls molasses
2 cups bread flour (can I use unbleached flour here?)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

It would be on the whole wheat setting.

Does this sound like it would work? I'd like to start soaking tonight, but I don't want to do it wrong. Thanks so much!

celestial princess
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I wish I knew. But I'll be watching along with you. It seems like I started a thread on this about a year ago, and I can't remember what came of it :think

celestial princess
12-17-2008, 08:37 PM
here it is!

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=136302.0

MaiMama
12-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks, CP!
My eyes glazed over partway through that recipe (I get confused easily). I think I was missing an ingredient or two as well. So I decided to just bake some bread without adding in the soaking step. I'm thinking I'll take baby steps.

It worked! I made my first loaf of bread from scratch. It just came out, and is delicious, if I do say so myself. I might either use more molasses or honey, or a bit more salt. This was a tiny bit bland, but if I think about regular bread, I guess it is, too. I've only had a pretty sugary kind for a while, but it was too sweet for sandwiches. I think this would work for that, if we don't eat it all with butter first.

There's a pic on my facebook site. PM me if you want to be my friend to see it. It seems a lot easier than putting pics on here. But yay! I can bake bread, and next time we can see if I can bake NT bread!