PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your onions, garlic, ginger, fruits, avocados, bananas, etc?

HummusDip
12-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Are there certain areas or ways your store them? Got pictures?

The only thing I know is to store potatoes in a cool dark area, right? At least that's what I"ve been doing for many years. :lol

hey mommy
12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Store potatoes in a paper grocery bag.

The rest, I have no idea..

expatmom
12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
If my avocados aren't ripe, I store them in a brown paper bag. Otherwise I keep them with the bananas in our fruit bowl.

All other fruit I keep in the fridge in my crisper. I also keep my onions, garlic and ginger in the other drawer in the fridge. None of them stick around for more then a few days so we don't have huge storage issues.

HummusDip
12-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't care to store my avocados with my bananas, because I read the bananas make the avocados turn very ripe quickly-and usually I buy mine pretty ripe already so I usually put them on top of the fridge? (we have a smaller fridge)

I've never heard of putting garlic and onion in the fridge!

Well actually now that I think about it I know if you get an onion cold first then you don't get the tears when you cut it...

Tengokujin
12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
I buy onions and garlic in bulk and I store them in a cabinet under the sink. A few sprout, but most are fine.

Ginger--I store that in the refrigerator with the bag cut open. If it isn't open a bit, it will mold quickly. With a bit of air flow, it lasts much longer.

Avocado--I buy the day I'm using it.

Bananas--on a stand on the counter.

Other fruit--apples, oranges,etc. are in the refrigerator.

FaroeIslandBabes
12-08-2008, 02:54 AM
I keep most fruit in a hanging basket in my kitchen, except grapes and berries...they go in the fridge. Avacados and onions go in the basket ( there are three baskets together, so fruits and veggies are seperated) Garlic goes in a garlic pot :lol in the fridge...sometimes I freeze some if I buy it in bulk...I use LOADS of garlic :P~
oh, potatoes just go in my bottom drawer of the cabinet ;) never had a problem with that...

expatmom
12-08-2008, 03:43 AM
I think it depends on where you live too.

Right now we live in ant central, so I don't leave anything out that will attract them. When I lived on the west coast close to you Hummus Dip, I kept my onions, garlic & potatoes in my cupboard. Here they seem to go bad quick if I do that, in addition to attracting ants. Its funny, because I have to buy avocados really green & I never realized that putting them with the bananas helped them to ripen. That is probably why my avocados have been really good lately! None of the things in my crisper in my fridge are in bags unless they are particularly smelly. Also, I shop for fruit/veg almost on a daily basis, so not much sits around.

~yogamom~
12-08-2008, 07:39 AM
i've read you aren't supposed to store potatoes and onions together, so i put one in the pantry and one on the counter. all veggies and fruits except bananas and clementines go in the fridge. garlic on the counter.

loraparrot
12-08-2008, 10:14 PM
So where do you keep tomatoes? I always have kept them in the fridge, but I don't think I'm supposed to do that.

DancingWithElves
12-08-2008, 10:26 PM
if the temp of a tomato is lowered below approx 55 F it will affect its flavor (permanently). so if it is winter, if your tomato was shipped long distance, or if you got it in the refrig section of the market, that bird has flown, go ahead and put it in the fridge. tomato fresh from the farmer's market of from the garden is best stored in a dry place at room temp, in one layer (like covering your entire counter space and windows too :giggle) they will last for quite some time if not over-ripe.

potatoes will sprout within a year of harvesting no matter what you do (unless they sprayed them with poison to prevent such travesty from happening), but should still be kept in a dark place of course to prevent greening. smaller bags i put in the fridge. when we used to get them in bulk, we had a potato box: large wooden box with a lid.
onions need lots of air circulating around when stored, and the best thing to do is braid them and hang them to avoid pressure spots...which is where they rot. but now that we do not have any onions we grow, we keep them in the crisper on low humidity setting.
bananas are on top of the fridge... which is really tall and sometimes we lose one and it gets a little funky up there :shifty ok, that just happened one time, but still.

avocados go on the shelf in the fridge, but usually i only buy one or two ripe ones and eat them quickly.

loraparrot
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Well, I'm in Minnesota and it's December, so I'm fairly certain that the tomatoes were not grown here! :) I'll keep them in the fridge for now. Next summer, I'll make sure I don't refrigerate my tomatoes from my garden.