PDA

View Full Version : Butter flavored shortening for butter in pie crust?

GodisGood
11-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm spending Thanksgiving with the guy I've been dating and his parents. I'm brining the pies. His mom is lactose intolerant. I want to use this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe/index.html but can't use butter. Can I use butter flavored shortening instead?

ArmsOfLove
11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
is she allergic to dairy or just lactose intolerant?

Crisco is probably okay--just make sure it doesn't say "lactose". If it's milk that is the issue then there's more you'd have to look for.

DoulaClara
11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
If she's dairy allergic (or can't have anything with any dairy products, including whey or casein), butter flavored Crisco is not okay. Hope your substitutions turn out great!

GodisGood
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
:think I'm not sure. Should I just use Crisco instead? I'm thinking the lard would have add a richness to it so the butter flavor wouldn't be missed? You know, I know she eats at ff restaurants. Those buns must have some form of dairy in them.

DoulaClara
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
If she eats at fast food restaurants, butter flavored Crisco is just fine. My SIL can NOT take my DN to any FF restaurants due to cross-contamination, and the potential for a dairy or egg (but the dairy is the real danger) exposure.

GodisGood
11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok good. I'm glad I asked.

Thanks