PDA

View Full Version : cookies while you sleep (fat free, wheat free meringues)

herbalwriter
11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Ds and I made these the other day - the idea is to make them in the evening and let them sit overnight, but we did them in the morning and enjoyed them after dinner. :) They are crisp and sweet and highly addictive.

4 egg whites
scant 2/3 c. evaporated cane juice
scant 1 cup mini chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla extract
generous pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg whites until foamy; add salt and beat until stiff. Gradually add sugar and beat until very thick. Beat in vanilla; stir in chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper covered cookie trays. Put cookies in oven; turn off the oven and leave overnight, or a minimum of 5 hours.

Be warned: this makes a *lot* of cookies, so you'll need two big trays or several smaller ones. You can put the cookies close together; they hold their shape and don't spread out.

You can make these without the chips - that's how we ate them when I was growing up.

ChristmasGirl
11-26-2008, 08:53 AM
we LOVE these! our recipe is slightly different, in that it is 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and 1/2 cup of choc. chips, at 300 deg. for 30 minutes. But completely the same idea. :yum ds doesn't do wheat, so we made these for his birthday treats for his class. I'll have to try making it your way one of these days :rockon

Six Little Feet
11-26-2008, 08:59 AM
great cookies...where do you find fat free chocolate chips :poke

herbalwriter
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
great cookies...where do you find fat free chocolate chips :poke

Oops! False advertising. :O :giggle I forgot about the fat in the chips. Okay, so they're not entirely fat free. :giggle

ChristmasGirl
11-26-2008, 07:13 PM
well, there's a bunch of air in them...that's fat free :giggle

herbalwriter
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
well, there's a bunch of air in them...that's fat free :giggle

Apparently, the air can migrate to your head, making you post the recipe title all wrong. :giggle