Blue Savannah
11-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Anyone have a brand they really like?

JavaMama
11-09-2008, 08:38 PM
:popcorn because mine is aluminum, I'd rather have SS

krysmh
11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I have one that's glass that we love, but it's used in the microwave.

Mert
11-09-2008, 09:24 PM
subbing b/c mine's teflon :shifty

Iarwain
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Yep. It's made by Revere and works wonderfully on the stovetop. You might recognize it as a saucepan. I know, probably not what you were looking for. :)

Blue Savannah
11-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Yep. It's made by Revere and works wonderfully on the stovetop. You might recognize it as a saucepan. I know, probably not what you were looking for. :)

:giggle How do you do it?

Blue Savannah
11-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Oh, and still open to comments on the actual popper--I get a "family" gift this year, and dh asked me to replace our aluminum popper that lasted about 6 months.

happyhousewife
11-11-2008, 09:13 AM
The one I have is a Rival Stir Crazy. It isnt stainless steel but I LOVE it. We are constantly having movie night and it is WAY better than microwave popcorn. My sisters are always asking for my popcorn.

Mother of Sons
11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I can't remember what brand we have but they sell it at Target around Christmas. I'd bet it will be out soon if it isn't already.

Taedareth
11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I would get this one $22.50 and lifetime guarantee

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/pid-41/bb/p.htm

They don't have a good picture of it on that site, but it's the Whirley Pop one. I've also seen it listed as "Back to Basics" popper on other sites. Like here's a good picture http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/24636-popcorn-maker.aspx

We have one in the same brand that looks exactly like it, but aluminum. I got it at Goodwill and it's served us well for 2 years, but I'd sure like to replace it with stainless steel. All our other cookware is ss or pyrex.

Blue Savannah
11-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Wow! 25 year warranty and made in America! :rockon Thanks!

JavaMama
11-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I thought the Whirley Pop were aluminum- mine is and all the ones I've seen... and last I saw they are transitioning to China (when I've seen them at Cracker Barrel type places and when I ordered one online for my best friend's wedding gift)... ???

Blue Savannah
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
The links Taedareth posted say stainless steel and made in America. :scratch Maybe they are transitioning. Everyone is, it seems. I'd better get one ordered.

JavaMama
11-19-2008, 08:13 AM
stainless steel stirring mechanism... aluminum pan. ;)

Just pour oil and kernels into the aluminum pan, place on a burner and start turning the stay-cool wooden handle.

Product Features
• Sturdy aluminum pan with hinged lid and stay-cool wooden handle with turn crank
• Patented stainless-steel stirring mechanism to prevent burning and promote even oil coating

I bet some sites could have old stock that made in USA (the one I bought at Cooking.com two years ago for a wedding gift was MIC)... and some sites may have out of date info on their websites... I just wanted to make sure you would be forewarned since I haven't seen one made in USA in years.

We still use our WhirleyPop, the kids love it. I do wish it was SS though.

Taedareth
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh, man! Thanks for telling us. :doh

FWIW, I used to make popcorn on the stovetop in a wok. Worked great because it was much bigger than my other pots and pans, plus it had a lid. But I got rid of the wok because it was teflon-coated :/ Anyway - you just put your spoonful of oil and your popcorn kernels in the wok and put the lid on, then stand at the stove and shake it so the oil gets distributed and the kernels don't burn.

Iarwain
11-19-2008, 01:08 PM
FWIW, I used to make popcorn on the stovetop in a wok. Worked great because it was much bigger than my other pots and pans, plus it had a lid. But I got rid of the wok because it was teflon-coated :/ Anyway - you just put your spoonful of oil and your popcorn kernels in the wok and put the lid on, then stand at the stove and shake it so the oil gets distributed and the kernels don't burn.

Same with a sauce pan except a single handle is easier to shake it with. It just doesn't hold quite as much at once. Personal preference. I heat the oil before adding the popcorn though. The kernels pop better if you do. Just heat up a couple T. oil (coconut oil is yummiest), add popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer, cover, and shake from side to side occasionally until it starts popping. Once the popping starts you need to keep it moving continuously until its done popping.

Blue Savannah
11-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for pointing out that pan is aluminum.

So basically, if I don't want to cook in aluminum, I need to use a regular pan? I'm so disappointed!

JavaMama
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for pointing out that pan is aluminum.

So basically, if I don't want to cook in aluminum, I need to use a regular pan? I'm so disappointed!

As far as I know, yes. :(

Iarwain- I agree about heating the oil first. :) We often use coconut oil as well.

Blue Savannah
11-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Michelle, do you know if this one (http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Stainless-Stove-Top-Popper/dp/B000W4AEB4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1227133324&sr=8-1) has changed over to aluminum?

JavaMama
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
That looks like a great option to me... it does have aluminum but it's in a disk at the outer bottom (I assume) which is how a lot of my stainless cookware is anyway. :shrug

If you get it, let us know how you like it. I dropped my WhirleyPop on the ceramic tile floor twice so it's getting pretty banged up... my dad knocked out the dents as well as he could but I wouldn't mind upgrading someday soon. T

Ds has been found to suddenly have cavities (I saw the x-rays :cry) and I'm trying to up his consumption of certain foods (pasture butter [thought terrrrrribly expensive] is one of the things recommended by WAP) but he doesn't like butter on very many things. He will eat buttered popcorn though! I hate to be using aluminum though...

Taedareth
11-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Isn't that the Back to Basics stainless steel popper I linked to before? :scratch

JavaMama
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I thought you had linked to the WhirleyPop in both links? :shifty

Taedareth
11-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes, I did :yes But I thought some websites described it as "Back to Basics by Whirley Pop" or somesuch. I must be confused. At any rate, the one above costs twice as much as the one I linked to :giggle

Blue Savannah
11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I know there are several local stores that carry the Back to Basics brand. I'm going to look around and see what I can find. It does look like they make two--aluminum and stainless. I'll let you all know how it works out. :heart

Mother of Sons
11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Target has them now.

Blue Savannah
11-20-2008, 09:25 PM
:ty

JavaMama
11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Target has them now.

ack, I was just there last night too! :doh

Taedareth
11-22-2008, 11:20 AM
On Target's website they only have the aluminum ones. Do some of the physical stores carry stainless?

Blue Savannah
12-08-2008, 12:36 AM
On Target's website they only have the aluminum ones. Do some of the physical stores carry stainless?

I did get a stainless one yesterday at our store! :rockon Cheaper (a bit) than Amazon, too. :)

Maggie
12-08-2008, 12:43 AM
The one I have is a Rival Stir Crazy. It isnt stainless steel but I LOVE it. We are constantly having movie night and it is WAY better than microwave popcorn. My sisters are always asking for my popcorn.

We have a Stir Crazy, too, and love it.

JavaMama
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM

I did get a stainless one yesterday at our store! :rockon Cheaper (a bit) than Amazon, too. :)

Awesome! I will mention that to my mom, I think my brother is looking for Christmas ideas. ;)