PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Canning Jars

bananacake
11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Where do you all buy your canning jars? I'm not actually going to use them for canning - just storage of flours, beans, spices, etc.

bananacake
11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Where do you all buy your canning jars? I'm not actually going to use them for canning - just storage of flours, beans, spices, etc.

Raspberries
11-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Don't make me give you MORE links! :P~

Raspberries
11-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Don't make me give you MORE links! :P~

Mama Calidad
11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I got all of mine free with the purchase of spaghetti sauce, pickles, olives, jelly, etc. Reduce, reuse, recycle. :tu

Mama Calidad
11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I got all of mine free with the purchase of spaghetti sauce, pickles, olives, jelly, etc. Reduce, reuse, recycle. :tu

bananacake
11-06-2008, 03:42 PM

But I don't buy any of those things :O I eat corn, wheat, soy & dairy free. I do save jars from honey, mayo & brown rice syrup :giggle It's really hard to find stuff in glass jars around here.

bananacake
11-06-2008, 03:42 PM

But I don't buy any of those things :O I eat corn, wheat, soy & dairy free. I do save jars from honey, mayo & brown rice syrup :giggle It's really hard to find stuff in glass jars around here.

Mama Calidad
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Do you have a friend or family member who might share theirs with you? So many people throw the little treasures away.... Ay, yes, I'm cheap. :giggle I've seen canning jars in the grocery store near the salad dressing section and also at Ace Hardware.

Mama Calidad
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Do you have a friend or family member who might share theirs with you? So many people throw the little treasures away.... Ay, yes, I'm cheap. :giggle I've seen canning jars in the grocery store near the salad dressing section and also at Ace Hardware.

krysmh
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I've bought some fairly cheaply at Big Lots before. I think it was about this time of year.

krysmh
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I've bought some fairly cheaply at Big Lots before. I think it was about this time of year.

bananacake
11-06-2008, 04:50 PM

I'm cheap, too ;) That's why I'm posting! I might check out some thrift stores tomorrow if I have time :tu

bananacake
11-06-2008, 04:50 PM

I'm cheap, too ;) That's why I'm posting! I might check out some thrift stores tomorrow if I have time :tu

Raspberries
11-06-2008, 05:06 PM
You might want to try freecycle.

Raspberries
11-06-2008, 05:06 PM
You might want to try freecycle.

TuneMyHeart
11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a ton of glass jars and need to get rid of some.

TuneMyHeart
11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a ton of glass jars and need to get rid of some.

JJsMom
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Rummage sales. :yes

JJsMom
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Rummage sales. :yes

bananacake
12-11-2008, 08:07 AM
I need jars to make Christmas gifts! :hissyfit

knitlove
12-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I need jars to make Christmas gifts! :hissyfit

:hug I am sorry you are having trouble finding them, I wish I lived near you I have 8 or 9 jars from Dh's marmalade and honey that I am keeping but don't need I would gladly give them to you.

arelyn
12-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Do you have a college campus or daycare center nearby? You can go and ask food serivces if they have any spare glass jars. The daycare I worked at didn't even recycle them! :no2

bananacake
12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Hmmm.....Big Lots doesn't have any.

RiverRock
12-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Do you have any thrift stores where you are? Maybe a recycling depot? Freecycle could also be the perfect source for jars as was previously mentioned.

Herbwifemama
12-11-2008, 08:41 AM
I got a bunch at Meijer. They actually have a whole section devoted to canning stuff. I'm going to get a stockpot today.

hbmamma
12-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Walmart? I saw that ours had a whole bunch :shrug

bananacake
12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Do you have any thrift stores where you are? Maybe a recycling depot? Freecycle could also be the perfect source for jars as was previously mentioned.

I have a thrift store I check occasionally - I got 1 a couple weeks ago :lol

Walmart? I saw that ours had a whole bunch :shrug

I don't really have 1 super-close; maybe I'll check next week :think

bananacake
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8033243
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8033244

That's the most reasonable price I've seen with free shipping :think I really wanted 16 oz, though.

Niphredil
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
My grandma gets me bunches from auctions. Nice sturdy old ones. :yes