PDA

View Full Version : Help me with plates & bowls

KatieMae
11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I need to get rid of my Corelle, as I don't think it's safe. I was planning to buy Fiestaware, used, and just have a mish-mash of colors, which is totally fine with me & probably would be fun for the kids anyway.

My local Linens-n-Things is closing & they have individual pieces of new Fiestaware priced at $7 for dinner plates & proportionately less for other items. Do you think that's a good price? Should I suck it up & buy new dishes - right now I only plan to buy 8ea of dinner plates, salad plates (for the kids' "dinner plates") and bowls. They also have a few 5-piece sets available, not sure of the price on those (I'm estimating it's $15-$20.)

What do you think? Any other ideas for cheaper spots to buy these? Or can I find Pfaltzcraft <sp?> for less? I'm so unsure of what to do!!!

Niphredil
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Hmm... I don't know. My grandparents go to a lot of auctions and pick up those sort of things for me (original Fiestaware, my beautiful new collection of original corningware) for "pennies on the dollar" they say. I don't know if you have the time - or the the grandparents who love to search ;) - but I like getting the original stuff. The stuff is better, IME. Like with the corningware, the old stuff can go on the stove top, oven & microwave, where the new is just oven & micro... big perk of the old stuff, totally worth searching for IMO. ;)

Ca_mommy
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
We use Corelle... is there something I should know? Has there been speculation of their safety? :nails

KatieMae
11-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Not speculation, experience...

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=193744.0

klpmommy
11-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Did you decide what you are going to do? I need to replace my corelle, too. I am tempted to just replace it with plastic from Ikea for the kids. I don't think I can microwave it, but it is cheap & unbreakable. But I don't know what to use for the adults.

monkeylicious
11-06-2008, 05:28 AM
i :heart my fiestaware. i use the smaller plates for the kids. i :heart having all of the different colors, of course gigi always wants red, but i can always giver her a choice of color (even if red is in the d/w) i haven't had any breakage yet (got our first pieces in 2001) i usually get the new sets (but that's cause all we're doing is adding the new colors so it's a once or twice a year purchase) i would think the individual prices are good if you just want certain pieces... but if you want the different pieces (big and little plates as well as bowls - the sets may be the better bargain. that said, i prefer the coffee cup sets as opposed to the tea cup sets. but that's just cause we don't drink or use the tea cups/saucers.

KatieMae
11-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Well if I can get the kids (Luke AND Lilia, now) to stop throwing up, I think I'll go back to LnT & at least buy some new small plates and/or bowls (like, 6 or 8 of each) so the kids won't be using the Corelle anymore.

Mother of Sons
11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Corelle isn't the only ones that do that. I had glass plates that did the same thing when dropped on carpet.

Punkie
11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
You may want to look around on the fiestaware pricing. I know that Kohl's regular price was lower than the Linens N Things discount here. Most places (Macys, Kohls, Dillards, etc.) sell Fiestaware at half off or buy-1-get-1-free all the time, so the Linens N Things discount (which was only 40% at my store when they still had Fiestaware) was actually more than the other stores. Right now Kohls is 50% off. Even the cute little salt and pepper shakers are only $13 :) My mom just bought her sets at Macys a few months ago, and she was able to get the 4-piece sets for $20, plus free serving dishes.

That said, I love my Fiestaware. My husband broke one salad plate when he drove off with it on his hood, but that's not the plate's fault. I love how they can go in the oven, and the colors look so pretty in the cabinets and on the table. I can't recommend them highly enough :heart

klpmommy
11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
adding Kohl's to my errand list ;)

Atarah
11-06-2008, 10:51 AM
For ds I use inexpensive stoneware from Ikea. It breaks all.the.time but when it does, it breaks into just a few pieces (and only cost $0.79 to replace).

I've actually gotten quite a bit of Gibson oven proof stoneware from the dollar store. It's really important for me that my dishes be oven proof. Most of the dishes I've seen at the dollar store aren't ovenproof, so you need to check the bottom.

Mert
11-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I got stainless steel plates .99 a piece at the Dekalb Farmer's Market. They make quite a bit of clatter when they hit the floor, but they're certainly not going to break. Dishwasher safe only, though, and NOT cute and colorful... just safe and boring and cheap.

Mert
11-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I got stainless steel plates .99 a piece at the Dekalb Farmer's Market. They make quite a bit of clatter when they hit the floor, but they're certainly not going to break. Dishwasher safe only, though, and NOT cute and colorful... just safe and boring and cheap.