PDA

View Full Version : I suck, at growing rosemary

Lavender Lily
11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
My SIL gave me a branch of Rosemary, I let it sit in water for several weeks where it developed roots. I then seperated the branches to make 5 seperate plants. One I gave to my MIL and the rest I ended up repotting b/c the roots were out growing the pot.
Well now two of them are turning brown...I think they're dying. :( The other two seem to be doing fine, they're nice and green. But they haven't hardened yet. the ones that seem to be dying have hardened. Referring to the stem not the leaves.
They're about 7 inches long and I water then once a week but I spray them every other day with water.
I don't know if I'm not watering them enough or if I should stop spraying them down every other day. :scratch

Jenjardin
11-03-2008, 08:52 PM
It always dies on me.

Rabbit
11-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Is this useful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2283363_propogate-rosemary.html

canadiyank
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I've never tried growing them that way, sorry! :think

mom2threegirls
11-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I wonder if they are getting too much water since rosemary does like poor conditions :think. The only thing is that they are babies and should get regular water and misting every other day doesn't sound like too much. Hmmmm You should try an experiment- start watering one more and one less and see if it makes a difference! They're getting brown anyways so it couldn't hurt ;). Let us know what happens to them!

I have one that has been happy in a little pot with no drainage on my shady porch and it never gets water :shrug. I'm so surprised it's still alive! :giggle

That's a great way to grow them! That would be an awesome cheap Christmas present for people if one started early enough! Maybe next year for me ;).

Lavender Lily
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Is this useful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2283363_propogate-rosemary.html

without knowing it I did pretty much everything that that site said. The only thing is planting it outside. Winter is coming and everyone tells me to leave them inside till the spring to avoid the frost. I almost feel like doing it with the ones that are dying to see if that's what they want.
They're sitting on a south facing window sill but b/c of an overhang they only get indirect like. I have them there so they get some fresh air.

Rabbit
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Can you add a lamp? Aren't they a direct sun plant?

Lavender Lily
11-04-2008, 02:59 PM
:shrug I went ahead and put them all outside in the front where I know they will get some light. I can't put them in the back, the dogs will think they are toys to thrash around. :doh
not long after I put them out the winds picked up. :nails

mollobe
11-12-2008, 02:11 PM
FWIW: I've never tried growing "young" rosemary, I've always bought the bigger plants. Mine have ALWAYS died when I keep them in a pot. They've always lived when I planted them outside. :shrug I plant it as close to the back door as possible so it's easy to jump outside & snip off a bit for cooking.