PDA

View Full Version : Is it taboo to put a kids bed right by a window?

made4more
11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
My Mom always said "NEVER PUT a bed by a window, because the wind can blow during a storm and shatter glass all over kid/baby/person, or blow a tree through." I dont know for sure how I feel about this, and when I was rearranging the girls room, I temporarily put the baby bed by t he window and I love the way it looks. I want to keep it there, but not if it's a well known rule to NEVER do so.

so is it a rule to live by, or is my mom just over protective?

ps- it's the second story, strong new windows and there are no trees that would likely blow into the window.

illinoismommy
11-01-2008, 08:47 AM
If you have blinds, take them town. Kids have died choking on blinds. :bheart

mellymommy
11-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Mom my didn't want any possible draft next to our heads.

My kids both sleep with their heads toward the window but I'm going to be moving them around so they don't get the draft this winter and I feel really paranoid about someone snatching them from their window (worry that I'll forget to check to make sure the window is locked).

made4more
11-01-2008, 08:57 AM
well drafts isn't really an issue cuz they are new windows... there is a baseboard heater right below the window, I wonder if that should be a bigger concern? It has been known to be hot enough to melt a laundry basket that was right up against it, but no other problems sinse. and we are thinking of getting a safe space heater for in there. There really isn't any room for the blankets to fall back in there, since it's a crib. And I'm not too worried about snatching because it is the top story and I'm a paranoid window locker. ;)

not trying to make it sound safer than it is or anything just sot hat I can arrange their bedroom a certain way. safety is always top priority.

celestial princess
11-01-2008, 09:07 AM
It makes me uncomfortable. but at the same time, that's how it is in our littles room. I'm more worried about snatching than glass, tho.

klpmommy
11-01-2008, 10:21 AM
E's bed is against a window. Honestly, if the wind was strong enough to break the glass, glass would be everywhere, you know? So i doubt being a couple of feet away would be that much safer. I'm not worried about them being snatched for the same reason, plus it is a second story window.

My concerns are: ability of the child to open the window to get out. This window in our home is very difficult to open, even for me. And definately any type of cord like a blind cord.

Desert Rose
11-01-2008, 01:23 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. :shrug

Benjaminswife
11-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Growing up in CA the earthquake thing bothered me but now I just would make sure they were safe. So that it wouldn't make it so they could climb out and blinds weren't an issue.

KatieMae
11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Mom my didn't want any possible draft next to our heads.

That was our reasoning as well :yes But the foot of Lilia's bed is against the window frame... no other way around it I'm afraid! As for snatching them, their window is actually 3-stories above the back driveway, so no one could possibly get in there from the outside.

mom2jolakeil
11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Growing up in CA the earthquake thing bothered me but now I just would make sure they were safe. So that it wouldn't make it so they could climb out and blinds weren't an issue.
:yes2 After the 1987 Whittier Quake a friend's little sister was in her bed and the glass shattered all over her and her bed. My main concern is the girls opening the windows and falling out (their windows are 3 stories up :nails ) Their beds are beside the window, but not under it. It's just the way their rooms are set up, it would look silly to have the beds under the window. In our last houses/apartments their beds WERE under the windows :shrug

Genesis
11-02-2008, 04:56 PM
there are a few reasons why I won't put my sons bed by the window. The first reason is that it's either hotter or colder depending on the season, near the window. Number two, it's the second story so I do not want anything in front of the window he could climb on and fall out the window on if it's open in the summer ( yes it has a screen). Another reason is that during storms lightning can enter through windows, it's not as uncommon as many people think ( even with blinds,etc) and although it's not totally likely, it concerns me. Another reason is noise. We can hear alot through the window so it helps with sleep disruptions. Those are just my reasons, and like someone else said, the mini-blind strings have choked many babies and children so keep those shortened and not knotted. :heart

MomTo7
11-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Every bed in my house is next to a window :shifty

katiekind
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
When we lived in California in an earthquake prone area, I was careful not to position any beds right by windows. Also if the kids might jump or tumble on the bed, that would be another consideration.

Anani
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. :shrug

Ditto.

righteous mama
11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Another California person. But, that said, our entire back of house is windows...including the bedrooms. There is no place to put the kids except for some part of their bed touching the window wall. I don't know whose bright idea that was.

ArmsOfLove
11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
my concern about it is safety from people looking in or, God forbid, getting in :shifty But in the little boys' room there is NO WHERE to put the bed that *isn't* by a window :shrug I've thought about positioning it in the literal center of the room and making them climb through it to get to the play area :think

GlacierLily
11-02-2008, 06:50 PM
we are all by windows. there is no room for us to be otherwise. I only ever worried about intruders or them falling out the window if it was low. Also no blinds ect. around the babies/toddlers.

mommyTay
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
It depends on the child if I would put them by a window. I never considered shattering glass. I suppose that is because if a storm is bad enough to do that, I would already be awake and in the basement with the little ones. :shrug
I hadn't thought much about people grabbing my little ones through windows either. Besides having a large, alert dog, we live in a pretty low crime rural area.
My biggest concerns would be any blind cords or curtains they could get tangled in. OR in the case of Rosie, she used the window sill as a step to climb out of her crib onto the window sill. Fortunately, she was too light to push through the screen before I got to her.

WanderingJuniper
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Every bed in my house is next to a window :shifty

Our's too. We just don't have any other options in the bedrooms. :shrug We've never had a storm bad enough to blow a window out or in. There are no treed in the front of our house to break a window and our bedrooms are on the 2nd floor so we don't have any breaking in issues. We also don't use blinds because of the cords. The kids cannot open the windows on their own. :shrug

made4more
11-03-2008, 02:35 PM
this thread has me convinced that it's fine to put a bed by a window and that I need to take down all of my blinds. It's just too dnagerous. dh might get mad. but oh well.

Genesis
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
you don't have to take down your blinds just cut the cords short so a baby/toddler can't reach them.