PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Home Blessing Challenge

KatieMae
10-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the 2008 Edition of the GCM Holiday Home Blessing Challenge!
Beginning Monday, October 27th!

How it works:
Every day, check this forum for the HHBC post. The format looks like this:

DAILY'S:
Devotions: 100pts
Dishes: Some done 10pts / Shiny Sink at Bedtime 20pts
Laundry: Wash, Dry, Fold, Put away - 3pts per step OR 20pts per completed load
Hot Spots: 5mins = 15pts (limit of 30pts/day)
De-cluttering: 5mins = 15pts (limit of 45pts/day)
5-minute Challenge Participation: 50pts

Challenge: Description & Points will vary day-to-day, sometimes a lump-sum amount of points OR points per room or per item (that's a great opportunity to catch up on points!)

Bonus: Same deal as the Challenge, but usually the task will be a little less enjoyable or more involved

Simply reply to the post & mark your points as you accomplish the tasks! At the end of the day, write your Total Points & I'll add it to this post :) At the end of the month, the winner gets bragging rights - and we're working on getting a blinkie for your signature too! :rockon You can play along even if you don't want to count points; knowing that your sisters from GCM are working on the same task at the same moment seems to make it less like drudgery & more like blessings for your home & family.

Guidelines:
1. Devotions This is whatever you want to be doing on a daily basis to spend quiet time with God. This challenge is an excellent way to establish new habits!
2. Dishes What does "Shiny Sink" mean? This is a Flylady idea - a Shiny Sink is what our goal would be for all-day conditions, but for this challenge I mean "Shiny Sink at bedtime" - that all of your dishes are either clean in the cupboards or dirty in the dishwasher; the stovetop & counters are wiped down & your sink is rinsed clean too. The idea is that you'll get a boost when you wake up to a clean kitchen!
3. Laundry This is broken down into steps (wash, dry, fold, put away); each step is 3pts, but the big motivation is to have completed loads in one day, which are worth 20pts! Example: 2 completed loads + the last one tumbling in the dryer at bedtime is 20+20+6 (washed & dried) = 46pts. When you finish that last load the following day, it's only 6 points for doing the folding & putting away.
4. Hot Spots Another Flylady idea. These are the places where clutter breeds in your house. You have to put out the hot spots before their little fires get out of control. Take a few minutes to think about what your hot spots are - usually they're the dropping place when you come indoors, the bottom of the stairs (things to take upstairs), the dining table or kitchen counter. The places you're always clearing, but the problem always comes back. This is also a great time to re-train your family to put things where they belong instead of in those hot spots!
5. De-cluttering This can mean working on a larger de-cluttering/reorganizing project or simply walking around the house & picking out things to sell/donate/trash.
6. 5-Minute Challenge Participation There's another daily thread in this forum that helps you to do work in spurts of five minutes. Participating in this other challenge is worth points on here, as it will help you accomplish the daily tasks AND it helps to motivate the rest of us to keep going!
7. Yes, You can join late! / Yes, You can catch up! If you miss a day's challenge (for any reason ;)) you can come back to the Challenge & Bonus later, but the Daily's are only available for each day. Example: If you were sick on Tuesday but want to do that day's Challenge & Bonus on Friday, write it in FRIDAY's post but note the original date of the challenge with your points for doing it!

Participants & Points!
AdrienneQW/Adrienne
Anani/Rachel 485
ArmsOfLove/Crystal 597
Atarah 609
Blue Savannah/Kristin 575
CakeLady/Wendy 520
Charla 411
ChristmasGirl/Susie
Countrymama/Kelly
dylansmom/Leah
gentle2blue/Tracey 477
gentlebirth/Ashley
GodChick/Michele 95
Heather R/Heather 326
IslandHome/Eva 405
jblairosu/Jennifer 505
joyful mama/Jen 547
joystrength/Tonya 300
KatieMae/Katie 419
klpmommy/Kimberly 545
knitlove 565
kwisie/Karen 506
LoveIsGentle/Sarah 455
lumpofclay/Jessica 330
MaiMama/Mai 373
MessianicMama 338
michelle3802/Michelle 31
mom2threegirls/Cari 640
MommyNae/Jenae 510
monkeylicious/Jennifer 150
nebraskanmom/Liz
Niphredil/Lindsay 503
Playful Mommy/Sheryl
ProudMommaof2/Traci 382
Rea T 475
RealLifeMama/Amy 590
RiverRock/Jessica
Schmamy/Amy 430
scottishthistle/Sara
Sign Of The Fish Burger/Candice
SonshineMama/Jodi 454
thomer/Tracy 515
tigerlily/Robin
TrinMama/Gina 937
valentine
WI Mama05/Kim - On Leave for babymooning! Join us whenever you're ready :heart

**PM me with any changes :)**

here is the participant blinkie if anyone wants it for their siggie. Thanks to Niphridel for making it for us!!!!!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w279/MissEllieNora/Digi%20work/hhbcp.gif

inesperada
10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd like to try to play. :)

schmamy
10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I've never done one of these before, but I think I might try this time. :yes

Blue Savannah
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
:cup

joystrength
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
:yes :yes :yes

joyful mama
10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
:jump2

tempus vernum
10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
:rockon

Six Little Feet
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
I would like to join

Heather R
10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Sure, sign me up! I'm also doing the MM accountability thread with MtnMama, but this should be fun, too.

Anani
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM

charla
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm game.

Blue Savannah
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
When is this starting?

CakeLady
10-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm in. But can someone :poke me to remind me if I don't check in.

KatieMae
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Sure, sign me up! I'm also doing the MM accountability thread with MtnMama, but this should be fun, too.

Definitely!
When is this starting?

This coming Monday, October 27th :rockon

:yes

MaiMama
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Go ahead and sign me up, please, but I'm scared. It's been a while since I've tried anything comprehensive. May I ask why it's called a *holiday* home blessing challenge? To get it decent by the holidays?

KatieMae
10-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Go ahead and sign me up, please, but I'm scared. It's been a while since I've tried anything comprehensive. May I ask why it's called a *holiday* home blessing challenge? To get it decent by the holidays?

:yes Many of us will have guests for either Thanksgiving or the Christmas/New Year's holidays, so, quite honestly, fear of embarrassment is a great motivator :shifty And even if you don't have anyone coming to your home (like me), having a clean house will hopefully allow you to enjoy the season more & not be distracted by a to-do list!

joyful mama
10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
for me, its for peace of mind during the holidays :heart.

i'm hosting Thanksgiving for my ils, and Christmas only for fil... so I guess I am hosting :doh duh, I didn't even think of that, lol. Yeah, my brain is fried. silly baby likes to be awake at night :yawn :yawn

KatieMae
10-22-2008, 03:41 PM
:jawdrop You're hosting with a little baby to take care of?! Practice saying, "Yes, that would be great if you could bring X to dinner." :smile

joyful mama
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
:jawdrop You're hosting with a little baby to take care of?! Practice saying, "Yes, that would be great if you could bring X to dinner." :smile
:yes :giggle

its 'only' my inlaws and dh cooks the turkey :lol. i just do the rest.... i might just make it a day early and reheat :think

Atarah
10-22-2008, 08:40 PM
:jump2

Herbwifemama
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm in! I"ve never done something like this before either, but I think it will be fun, and goodness knows I need it. :)

knitlove
10-23-2008, 05:52 AM
ok I guess I am ready. :pray4 that this can help me get things under control and in to the habit of cleaning so I have some thing to come back to after I have the baby.

LoveIsGentle
10-23-2008, 08:13 AM
I want to join!

Me too? :)

KatieMae
10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I want to join!

Me too? :)

Welcome to the challenge! I can definitely :poke you too :yes

LoveIsGentle
10-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the challenge! I can definitely :poke you too :yes

:giggle Thanks!

CakeLady
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM

:yes

Thank you!

RealLifeMama
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I am in and very excited!
Last night, I even told DH about it. He was confused at first, but then I think he got it and he said 'Oh, well, it will be nice to have someone hold you accountable. Spouses don't make good accountability partners. " :smile I said "Yes, especially regarding housework! " I can just imagine what I would say to DH if he came home and asked me what I did around the house that day! :haha

Atarah
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
:haha about our possible reactions to our dh's asking what we do around the house all day.

I agree that fellow moms are better to have for accounatbility IRT housekeeping. :yes

KatieMae
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree that fellow moms are better to have for accountability IRT housekeeping. :yes

My DH is more apt to notice the mess of toys on the floor (a "tidy" issue) but totally miss the spotless kitchen or sparkling bathroom :rolleyes

IslandHome
10-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Can I join in still? I think I need something like this!! :)

KatieMae
10-24-2008, 03:01 AM
Can I join in still? I think I need something like this!! :)

Absolutely! :)

dylansmom
10-24-2008, 04:11 AM
I would like to join. I have let things get out of control and need some motivation to get back on track. :)

Rea T
10-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Joining in, I really need something to keep me accountable and it will help if it is (sort of) fun.

KatieMae
10-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Great :cheer More people!!!

And yes, it's strange when I hear myself telling DH about this & words like "fun" and "exciting" and "I can't wait" come up... I'm thinking, "Am I talking about cleaning?!" :hunh

GodChick
10-24-2008, 05:42 AM
ooo . . . count me in too! :)

Erm . . .uhm . . . about how LONG each day does it take to do all this stuff? [size=6pt]Please, oh please don't tell me 3 hours a day. :shifty

tempus vernum
10-24-2008, 05:54 AM
You could get lots of points with 1/2 hour a day. Even more with 45 minutes - check it out.
Devotions - 10
Laundry 10 minutes
Dishes 10 minutes
Hot spots 5 minutes
Declutter 5 minutes
5 minute challenge - 5 minutes

All the main stuff can be done in 45 minutes :rockon Since you get points for 5 minute increments, you can do 10 minutes and still be successful. The success is in the difference it makes in your house. AND for me, reminding myself that 5 minutes can make a world of difference in my home :grin

GodChick
10-24-2008, 06:33 AM
:mrgreen :tu

MaiMama
10-24-2008, 12:57 PM
When is this supposed to start? I put away TEN LOADS of laundry today. :shifty :giggle
I told Trinity about it, though, and saw the effects of external motivators when I tried to get her to clear her table: "No, you do it, Mommy. You get the points. You do all the work." :giggle So that won''t work.

KatieMae
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
When is this supposed to start? I put away TEN LOADS of laundry today. :shifty :giggle
I told Trinity about it, though, and saw the effects of external motivators when I tried to get her to clear her table: "No, you do it, Mommy. You get the points. You do all the work." :giggle So that won''t work.

:jawdrop & :haha It'll start next week - Monday morning, October 27th :tu

kwisie
10-24-2008, 01:00 PM

I see them as family points. We're all in this together, and anyone can help get it done. :)

ProudMommaof2
10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Can I join? :) I have never done anything like this, but I need something to change my habits. :yes

KatieMae
10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Can I join? :) I have never done anything like this, but I need something to change my habits. :yes

Absolutely! :cheer I'll add you to the list :)

scottishthistle
10-27-2008, 07:20 AM
me please

MommaNae
10-27-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm in.

ProudMommaof2
10-27-2008, 07:32 AM

Thank you! :smile Now I just have to figure out how to add that little blinky thing, and get busy cleaning! :shifty

joyful mama
10-27-2008, 07:37 AM

Thank you! :smile Now I just have to figure out how to add that little blinky thing, and get busy cleaning! :shifty
right click to save a copy to a file, upload to photobucket, and put photobucket url in your profile :tu

CakeLady
10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Where is everyone getting the cool blinkie....I want one. :hissyfit

Blue Savannah
10-27-2008, 08:00 AM
This thread, W. :) http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=200099.0

TrinMama
10-27-2008, 10:02 AM
I want to play!

KatieMae
10-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I want to play!

Great! :smile

tigerlily
10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I want to join, too!

--Robin

Rea T
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
So, does it count as taking care of a hot spot if I put the stuff from Target away as soon as I bring it home instead of letting it set in its bags in the kitchen for a week or so?

And, if all my dishes are washed AND the sink is shiny, is that 20 points, or 30 points total?

This is fun. (I can't believe I just said that about cleaning..... :shifty)

KatieMae
10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
So, does it count as taking care of a hot spot if I put the stuff from Target away as soon as I bring it home instead of letting it set in its bags in the kitchen for a week or so?

And, if all my dishes are washed AND the sink is shiny, is that 20 points, or 30 points total?

Yes, that is an odd feeling :giggle

Hot spot/putting away - yeah, I'd count that as preventing a hot spot so definitely worth points
Dishes - it's either 10pts for doing some work or 20pts for doing the whole job :tu

Rea T
10-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Yes, that is an odd feeling :giggle

Hot spot/putting away - yeah, I'd count that as preventing a hot spot so definitely worth points
Dishes - it's either 10pts for doing some work or 20pts for doing the whole job :tu

Thanks.

I'm not letting my husband touch the sink when he gets home.

Sign Of The Fish Burger
10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh oh oh!!! I definitely want to play!!!!!

I do have 2 questions though- where do we record our points and do we add the new days points to our previous points, or will someone be doing that at the end of the challenge?

KatieMae
10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh oh oh!!! I definitely want to play!!!!!

I do have 2 questions though- where do we record our points and do we add the new days points to our previous points, or will someone be doing that at the end of the challenge?

Yay! :hug Record your points in each day's thread (you can look at Monday's to see how we all did it) and then I, your Fearless Leader, will record the points & keep a running total :)

Tuesday's Challenge is up now too! But don't over-do it & get ordered back in bed, okay? :heart

DragonfliiMama
10-28-2008, 08:05 AM
I think I want to join. Can I count the cat boxes as a hotspot? It's not exactlyl clutter building up there but it is so important to get them cleaned every day and for some reason, even though I know it's a simple quick little thing, it is one of the things I have the hardest time doing.

thomer
10-28-2008, 08:09 AM
I think I want to join. Can I count the cat boxes as a hotspot? It's not exactlyl clutter building up there but it is so important to get them cleaned every day and for some reason, even though I know it's a simple quick little thing, it is one of the things I have the hardest time doing.

Ooooh that! I hate and avoid the cat boxes with all my might. :sick

KatieMae
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I think that's a great idea for a hot spot :yes

Aisling
10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Is it too late to play? I could really, really use this right now. I think my family and home would thank you. :shifty :giggle

KatieMae
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Is it too late to play? I could really, really use this right now. I think my family and home would thank you. :shifty :giggle

Definitely not too late :) You can make up Monday's challenge & bonuses at any time, just write the task & points in the *current day's thread* so I see it & give you the points :tu

Countrymama
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Can I join too? Sorry I'm a little late...I kept hearing about it but just found everything today. I hope I'm not too late....my house could really use it! :yes

KatieMae
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes! Please join us! :heart Let me know if you have any questions :D

Sign Of The Fish Burger
10-28-2008, 08:33 PM
I have a question- since I only started today (didn't know about it until late last night) is it possible to make up for Monday (which IIRC was kitchen)?

KatieMae
10-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I have a question- since I only started today (didn't know about it until late last night) is it possible to make up for Monday (which IIRC was kitchen)?

You can make up the challenge & bonuses at any time, just write the task description & points in the *current day's thread* so I see it & give you the points :tu

Countrymama
10-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Hey Katie...I have a really stupid question but where did you all get that blinkie? :scratch

KatieMae
10-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Niphredil made it for us! You can have it too, but I think you're at your blinkie limit, so one of the others will have to go :(

Anyway, right-click on the blinkie, "Save As" on your hard drive, then upload to your photobucket account, get the IMG Code & paste it into your signature :)

Countrymama
10-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Thank you!! That's ok...my blinkies are super old....they need to get the boot! :giggle

joyfulmomof2
11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Is it too late for me to join? Sorry, I just saw this today or yesterday, but I have been doing quite a few of these items this weekend and thought I would try to jump in. If it is too late, that's ok, I can wait for the next time. :)

KatieMae
11-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Is it too late for me to join? Sorry, I just saw this today or yesterday, but I have been doing quite a few of these items this weekend and thought I would try to jump in. If it is too late, that's ok, I can wait for the next time. :)

It's never too late to join :hug
You can catch-up on old challenges if you want (at least, you can catch up until we repeat a challenge, if you know what I mean), or just start with this weekend's post & go from there :) Great to have you with us! :heart

joyfulmomof2
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you, Katie!

Naked Camper
11-05-2008, 08:36 AM
accountability is good - sign me up :)

KatieMae
11-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Great Morgan! You picked a good time to join too - it's catch-up day!

arelyn
11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Sign me up!!

KatieMae
11-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Welcome! :heart

Grover
11-06-2008, 06:22 AM
HI Sign me up

KatieMae
11-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Rose
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I'll play...

Rose
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I'll play...

KatieMae
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
:woohoo

KatieMae
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
:woohoo

sgreen
11-07-2008, 05:53 AM
ok ladies..count me in...need to have a sea change in my home... :yes

KatieMae
11-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Welcome!

To all the new members, make sure you check out the OP to get the blinkie for your signature, if you want :heart

sgreen
11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
devotionals
5 min challenge
cleaned bathroom
picked up/vaccuumed in lounge
shiny sink!

206 points for today!!! :) :pray4
thankyou God

KatieMae
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
devotionals
5 min challenge
cleaned bathroom
picked up/vaccuumed in lounge
shiny sink!

206 points for today!!! :) :pray4
thankyou God

You can post this in the daily thread - here :) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=201995.0)

sgreen
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
oops! thanks katymae! posted it in the right place now!!...hope i added my points up right! :)

mokamoto
11-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Although late, I am game! Sign me up!

KatieMae
11-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Welcome Marie! Let me know if you have any questions along the way :)

Grover
11-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi Katie,I can see me up on the list,but Im sure I had a total points somewhen/somewhere?Sorry to be a pain :hug2 :hug2 :nak2

KatieMae
11-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Katie,I can see me up on the list,but Im sure I had a total points somewhen/somewhere?Sorry to be a pain :hug2 :hug2 :nak2

You're not being a pain at all :hug I've been really horrible at keeping points updated on here since there was so much sickness in my house last week & this weekend, but I do have everything recorded on my tally sheet & the updated points will be on today's daily post around mid-day (EST) :)

Grover
11-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Katie Im sorry I didnt realise your family was sick,take all the time you need :hug2

Naked Camper
11-22-2008, 09:06 AM
i'm out :( sorry. i have sick kids and 2 physical therapy apts a week. i'm doing good just to keep up with the daily stuff let alone extra challenges.
thanks katie for hosting this game :)

jtidwell
11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
All right, I'm in. We have GOT to be more disciplined about daily cleanups, and here's a fun way to do it! :shifty